January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elf06 wrote: »
    Hi Georgiegirl you just need to go to edit signature then highlight the bit you want to score out then click the symbol at the top right (under the font/font size/colour bit) that looks like a S with a line through it.

HTH

[STRIKE]

Thanks
    [/STRIKE]

Not that I'm not thanking you :beer:
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 5:07PM
    jintyb wrote: »
    ... Well done Spigs on getting organised re spreadsheets - I love a spreadsheet (sad, eh) Do you have a template you'd be willing to share? Mine is a bit erratic! BTW I really enjoy your essays! ...

Hi jintyb,

As I get excited about them too I would not suggest you were sad! :rotfl: Send me a PM and I'll send you what I use. You will probably be able to improve on mine though.
    cookie9 wrote: »
    Getting a bit down with all the spending. Spent £50 in Waitr*se and that wasssn't even the full shop. Had to go to hospital today so OH is being let loose in T*sco. Good job oven not gas or would be putting my head in it.;)

Cookie9 don't get down please. :grouphug: When you first start doing the GC you can be a bit shocked at the level of spending you and your family do. The thing is that for most of us we haven't been looking at what we spend - just handing over the plastic and then panicking about how to pay and where it had gone when statements come in a month or so after. So it's quite normal in the beginning to think :eek: specifically because you're now watching the spends. it gets easier as the months go on. Don't despair just come on here and have a moan, ask advice or just read what others are saying. ;) I hope everything was ok for you at the hospital.
    bramble1 wrote: »
    I'm trying for a NSD day today. BUT i need to make a cheese sauce for our lasagne and NO idea where to start. Anyone got a fail proof recipe?

Bramble1 I don't do the cooking now but did teach my OH to make white sauce, to which you just add cheese, so I'll try and help. Trouble is my Mum taught me without a scales so it's a bit by eye but here goes ...

Put a couple of ounces of butter/marg into a pan with salt and pepper and melt until hot but not brown

While still hot gradually add flour and stir in until it forms a thick paste (do beat this well so no lumps are in it)

Over heat and with pan warm (not hot!) gradually add milk a little at a time stirring constantly (it will thicken as it gets near to boiling)

It will loosen then thicken a number of times and when it becomes too thick add more milk until you have a nice creamy consistency.

Once your happy with the thickness of it simmer for a minute or so to make sure it isn't going to thicken up again too much.

Then when the white sauce is at the just boiling temperature remove pan from heat and gradually add grated cheese at the quantity you want to use or to taste stirring all the time.

The stirring is the key! :D I hope that helps.

Got a visitor so got to run be back later,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Since I have the lurgy I sent dh off to Aldi with strict instructions to only get what was on my list...AND HE DID!:T Whoop Whoop! 1st spend of the year - £8.63 - just off to update my signature now..
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My first spend of the month is a biggie £63.24 as I've just has a tesco online delivery. Went a bit overboard stocking up on toilet rolls, shampoo etc! Oh well, at least I won't need to buy any stuff for the bathroom for a couple of months now, especially considering how much shower gel and body lotion I got for christmas :)
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Another NSD today :T

Used a few eggs that were short on shelf life and a couple of tomatoes which were past their best today as DH and myself had an omelette for lunch DS is out until later on and for tea we are having some of the frozen ham from Christmas with mashed potato and some veg. So lunch and tea today will have been made from using left overs up. :T

Made some broccoli soup earlier on and DS took it down for his nan so we know that she is having something hot to eat. She would live on sandwiches, cake and carp if we didnt keep an eye on her.
    We had some red wine that was left over so have frozen it into ice cubes and have 2 full margarine tubs in the freezer and there is still a drop or two left - these will be used for adding to spag bol etc. Yum may have to do spag bol soon :rotfl:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • monicaj
    monicaj Posts: 216 Forumite
    Hi

This time last year we were spending £130 pw on groceries :eek: Since May we have been cuttting down and setting ourselves challenging targets. After much practice we are now eating a very healthy balanced diet with fresh meat and veg, 95% of meals cooked from scratch and no waste. We are challenged to spend only £300 per month £69.32 per week for 2011 - I love to cook and experiment with different dishes so the budget must cover everything.

This budget is for 3 Adults and 1 child - 5 - as I said challenging but very doable with planning and discipline.

Good Luck everyone and I'm really excited by some of the cheap family meals I've been reading about on other thread :T

Just off to add my signature.

Monica
  • Miss_Orangey_Goodness
    Miss_Orangey_Goodness Posts: 121 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 4:19PM
    Hi there, please may I join you - I haven't done so before. I hope to spend throughout January no more than £300 this month (hoping not to go over £3700 this year) Thank you.
    Just done my first shop in Asda and spent £55.
    Single working mummy to 3 year old cheeky monkey DFD: July 2016 - Tesco Loan [STRIKE]£14,000[/STRIKE] £13,490 / Owe dad ([STRIKE]£500[/STRIKE]£450 / Very account £[STRIKE]70[/STRIKE]60 / Overdraft £270 = Total (Jul11 [STRIKE]£14,940[/STRIKE] Now £14,300 (Paid off £670) Need to lose 14lb (3/14) (currently [STRIKE]11st12[/STRIKE] 11st9) Deseparately need a holiday for 2012 (£0/£1000) - Car Fund (£0/£1500) - Christmas Savings (£70)

• Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    Can I please ask to be put down for €450 for January please, Mrs Macawber?

We spent €14 in M&S today, first spend of the new year, on nice garlic bread, puppodums, sliced pan and a pack of sushi for DD to try (rather than stopping at the Sushi bar on the way in). I am working from freezer mainly this week: we've had a chicken curry and a macaroni cheese bake, as well as old fashioned pork and apple sausages with mash (DH got the saussies for €3 on NYE). We're having a spag bol tonight (with garlic bread), and a beef stew tomorrow night (with lots of veggies frozen from the plot).

The end of last year went well too. I had a few bits to get when I was in town on NYE for a celebration dinner (overall cost was €60 - but that was 4 courses for DH and I, 3 courses for DD and a nice bottle of wine). We went to Aldi when we were with the ILs and got some mushrooms and apples on the super 6, and a pack of chillis. But we are using up what's on hand before a reasonable stocking up shop at the weekend - and perhaps only getting a few things we really need this week and doing the big restock in a week or 2 when I have cleared out a LOT of the more exotic ingredients!

And having plenty of baking and chocolate ingredients on hand has been useful over Christmas too. I made up hampers of homemade goodies for 4 different couples - 3 have them already (2 have been gushing in compliments, as was another non-recipient at the giving-event, a lil bro trying to raid his big sis's box!! (Late 40's lil bro!)), and I will hand the last over this week when they are home again.

We used up one of the pumpkins I got for 45c just before Halloween to make soup last weekend, when it was really chilly so that was lovely and warming. I have 2 lunch-sized portions frozen for work, and a portion of pureed pumpkin (to add stock and seasoning to) for a family sized batch there too. I was able to use up cream that was turning making scones, and DH suggested doing half the batch with grated cheese rather than the usual raisins (luckily, just BEFORE I added the sugar!) - they were very nice with the soup.

I need to plan my meals for the next few weeks to make best use of my storecupboards, and to allow for busy times (I have some hectic stuff coming up at work, weather due to be bad again, and DD has a birthday party to be planned later in the month). But I also have to renew my subscription for my plot this week, and I think I will get more than €60 worth of veg from it, so will renew again!

I am aiming, overall, for staying within the €6k again for the year, but I think it may be more tricky, even if more necessary, this year than last.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    cookie9 wrote: »
    Getting a bit down with all the spending. Spent £50 in Waitr*se and that wasssn't even the full shop. Had to go to hospital today so OH is being let loose in T*sco. Good job oven not gas or would be putting my head in it.;)
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Cookie9 don't get down please. :grouphug: When you first start doing the GC you cna be a bit shocked at the level of spending you and your family do. The thing is that for most of us we haven't been loooking at what we spend - just handing over the plastic and then panicking about how to pay and where it had gone when statements come in a monthor so after. So it's quite normal in the beginning to think :eek: specifically because you're now watching the spends. it gets easier as the months go on. Don't despair just come on here and have a moan, ask advice or just read what others are saying. ;) I hope everything was ok for you at the hospital.

I agree with Spiggle, cookie9.

It's easy to feel down-hearted at first, because you are now watching what you spend, but, once you see where you can make savings, and where you can stop wasting money, it is a great feeling knowing there is more in your purse than in the tills :)

Pipkin71 here is the recipe for banana muffins that I use.

[........]

Hope you enjoy them. You can also add chocolate or walnuts during the final mixing strokes if you want a little variety.
    You can freeze bananas and thaw for muffins. May look unappatizing but they are perfect for baking.:)

Thanks for that, highland fling.

I'm going to be making them this evening, once the dishes are cleared from our main meal.

I have C&P'ed and printed out your recipe to go in my scrap book, so it will be easy to find :)

We went for a walk today and poped to the local shop for milk, cheese and bottled water. Total spend: £6.67, so will update signature.

I made the caramalised onions today, which were simply :drool: The onions were nearing the end of their eating life so it was good to use them up rather than throw them out.

I made rolls using the BM and will do that more often, hopefully. I've spoken to DDs about the GC and have them on board, which is helpful, because when I can't do anything, they are going to do what they can.

Having a chronic illness means it is easy, sometimes, to just order a take-away, when I can't cook, but it costs so much more.

The plan is to batch cook regularly, and show my DDs how to make a few more simple meals, which will hopefully mean staying under budget.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 4:26PM
    Can anybody tell me how to do the crossing out thing in your signature so I can look like I'm making some progress?

Ta

hit the Edit button, choose 'Go Advanced', highlight the text you want to line through, and then hit the [STRIKE]S[/STRIKE] (S with a line through) button at the top right of the buttons above the editing window ;)

eta I'm getting slow... :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills