January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.5K views

Replies

• cookie9cookie9 Forumite
    763 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a bit down with all the spending. Spent £50 in Waitr*se and that wasssn't even the full shop. Had to go to hospital today so OH is being let loose in T*sco. Good job oven not gas or would be putting my head in it.;)
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    I havent forgotton about the challenge i just havent bought a thing lately and i cant believe it lol good luck all x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • pixiedust09pixiedust09 Forumite
    270 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a recipe for rice pudding on here? Do you have to use pudding rice?
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • Getting OH involved in GC, he is amazed that if we can stick to it, we will have £400 left on what we would normally spend. When the month is over I intend to have my shower re- tilled, as it has been leaking.
    Aiming for another NSD today, then working tomorrow and got enough leftovers to ensure I don't get tempted to spend!
    Decided to get rid of all my old CD's and DVD's today, hope I can make some cash, and make some space. The key for me is to keep busy, the devil make idle hands shop!!!
  • Savvy_sewingSavvy_sewing Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a bit late in joining, but as I havent bought any food yet this month, think that perhaps its time to get back on the wagon.
    Mostly now this year there are only the two of us, DGD and myself, with DS appearing randomly about 3 times a week.!
    Thinking about how I lost the plot last year, and that the cupboards are full, but off weird stuff, and the freezer is only a small one now, I will budget for £150
    I know I should do better. But I am out of practise!:o
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • edited 3 January 2011 at 5:34PM
    SilverBird_2SilverBird_2 Forumite
    310 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 3 January 2011 at 5:34PM
    If it's not too late I'd like to join the January 2011 Grocery Challenge.

I've set a monthly HK budget of £200* but am aiming to spend no more than £20 in cash and a £50 M&S voucher this month - will be using up everything in the food cupboard and freezer to reach this target. (The M&S voucher will be spent very carefully.) Also have a £2.50 Tesco voucher - if I spend this then the £2.50 will go into the piggy bank.

* The HK budget includes everything... food, non-food and toiletries. There's just the two of us at home now but we look after our granddaughter one or two days a week and family usually visit at the week-end so I'll need to keep to the menu plans and hopefully have some money left over at the end of each month.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/Ratatouille
    GC 2018: £2,104.01/£2,160 total spend
  • Another small spend today £8.31 at my local shop, I'm staying away from the big SM's which isn't hard because I don't live near any and I don't drive :D
    :j Here's to 2013, may it bring Happiness to all :j

• laloopilaloopi Forumite
    122 posts
    I'd like to get back in on the GC after a couple of months of being slack. Please put me down for £250 for January. I'm already £2.45 down having bought milk from the local shop yesterday.
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • edited 3 January 2011 at 3:10PM
    redkids1972redkids1972 Forumite
    417 posts
    edited 3 January 2011 at 3:10PM
    I have almost spent up this weeks allowance but seem to have a lot more food for my money than I normally do. I made good use of vouchers ans used different shops for best value. Went to M & S for meat had a £5 OFF £25 spend and have a staff discount card which gave me an extra 20% off so for a normal £25 spend will only pay £16.

I stocked up on 2 lots of 3 for £10 and a two pack on mince and a pineapple to make it the £25 spend, this works out cheaper than any of the supermarkets and quality of M&S is good. I also noticed they had lots of half price cleaning goods on offer and many other products as-well. If you have the vouchers also may be useful to stock up.

As I had all my meat I decided to go to Aldi for fruit and veg and I was pleased with the offers there (GOT ALL THE 39P OFFERS). Finally went to Home Bargains just for odd bits and a nose as I often pick up sauces and things here as well as kitchen/toilet rolls.
    Total was £55 for all my shops and included everything I need for a healthy week of eating and also cat food/ milk and bread/cleaning goods.

I know I'm only just under budget but last month I would have nipped to Tesco to get milk and spent that much on impulse buys and have nothing for tea lol. Hope I can keep this going. I will do a similar shop next week in the same shops to utilise the M&S vouchers and stock up on meat for Feb.

I'm very lucky I live close to all major supermarkets Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Aldi,Lidl,Netto all within 3 miles so can plan my shops carefully. I don't live close to a Sainsbury but I in the delivery area from the closest (15 miles) so if I wanted something bad from there I could.
    Roll on next weekend.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • Mumof2_2Mumof2_2 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Just spent £2.38 on milk from the local shop. Doing an online order from Mr T so will add that onto the total when done.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting