We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

tiping the postman

1356

Comments

  • Barneysmom wrote: »
    I think a tenner is far too much. A fiver is enough, especially if another 50 or so on his or her round give the same.


    My OH is a postie and has been for over 30 years and in that time would be lucky if half a dozen people on his round tipped him, I wish 50 or so would tip him it would make Christmas a whole lot easier :( He would be more than happy if his customers gave him anything!!
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'll be buying my postie a bottle this year as he's so good delivering all my wins with a smile. I've checked to see what his favourite tipple is.
  • My OH is a postie and has been for over 30 years and in that time would be lucky if half a dozen people on his round tipped him, I wish 50 or so would tip him it would make Christmas a whole lot easier :( He would be more than happy if his customers gave him anything!!

    Do you tip the girl at the checkout? A tip should never be expected, they are paid a wage like everyone else, maybe it's not great money but that's not our fault. There are lots of people on minimum wage etc, that doesn't mean they should get a tip for the job that they are paid to do.
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    I have a different postman for every day of the year, they don't come until 2pm most days, they give my post to my neighbours and I get everybodies post but my own. So no I won't be tipping the postmen this year :). I would love to have some of the postmen described on this thread!

    I do tip my milkman £5, he does a fab job.
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • I wouldnt tip them at all. Why should I they get paid to do there job. Why should you tip some but not other I work in a shop and I hate it now the customers are so rude and do i get a tip heck no. But I get paid for doing my job.

    If you know them quite well then thats fine as your giving a friend a gift for christmas. As for moaning about not getting a tip be gratefull you have a job that pays you a wage. My oh has been out of work for almost a year and has now givin up any chance of getting a job so has gone back to college. I work part time for a huge firm and hate but cant get another jopb for love nor money.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    This makes me feel terrible...i don't know my postman as he keeps changing, the dustbin men come and go so quick i couldn't tell you who they are and the window cleaner keeps putting his price up so i wouldn't want to give him a tip. If i had a milkman then i would tip him, but i stopped having a milkman as he didn't deliver until about 11am in the morning!
  • cba321
    cba321 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Our postman changes so often, I couldnt tell you which one was coming down these days. To be honest, I never really get the tipping thing, with anything, whether it be out for a meal, postman, etc. don't they get paid for their work? Nobody tips me at work and I work hard too, why do people tip? I don't get it, sorry.
  • Paulsad :)
    Thanks Ffotogirl :)
    Legendmum - that's one of the main reasons we buy beer for our postie and binmen they do a great job and help us out but when we first moved to our village we didn't know anyone. When I was at home with my little boy before he started school the postie would ring the door bell and hand over my little boys CBeebies comic every week and have a good chat with him. The bin men always drove by the playground and waved and gave him a thumbs up - it made his day :) Nice blokes. We get a fair amount of snow and blardy horrible weather up here and they deliver in it and always have time to say Hello. Good on them.
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • Adrianna wrote: »
    Do you tip the girl at the checkout? A tip should never be expected, they are paid a wage like everyone else, maybe it's not great money but that's not our fault. There are lots of people on minimum wage etc, that doesn't mean they should get a tip for the job that they are paid to do.

    I dont think that anywhere in my reply said my Oh expected to be tipped what I did say was it would be nice if he was was, and I am sure anyone getting a tip would think so too, nowhere in my post did I mention that their money was not great..... your words not mine???? but obviously you do think they are not on great money??
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    We tip the post man (£10), bin men (beer), recycling men (beer).

    The post man is brilliant, knows everyone in the street, is happy to stop for a chat & gets bugged by my girls for his elastic bands! He will also leave things with my neighbour rather than taking them back.

    The bin men & recycling men are great, they wave to my DD who gets very excited when the van is outside. When her pre-school was afternoons we used to drop her big sister off to school & often walked almost all the way home just behind them as their speed was about the same as hers.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.