2011 mfw

Options

Comments

• blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the info cake, you're right in that it is the 'default' option so to speak, so I guess there's not an awful lot I can do about it! Having the mortgage extended is an option I guess, even if it's just back to 25 years again to bring down the payments, so thanks for the heads up on that :D
  • Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 April 2011 at 12:36PM
    Options
    just managed another £100
    plus had interest added to the account
    that makes total now in OP pot £678.70!
    have had to adjust figures from previous post cos forgot some of the OP balance is saving for something so not part of OPs
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £401 OP going in tomorrow, done the target but that will probably be about all we can manage for this year now with one wage and a baby round the corner, thanks :beer:
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

£500 OP has gone in for April.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2011 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Hi Guys

A couple of days ago I received a 'goodwill payment' from Halifax (SVR T&C issue) which had the net result of reducing my Mortgage balance by £850 and therefore taking further 5 months off the life

There is a thread where the issue of the Halifax payout has been discussed. When I visit that thread I feel as if I'm visiting some alternative dimension where the world looks like my world.....but something just isn't quite right.

Most people on there seem hell bent on getting the Halifax to issue a cheque to them instead of the default reduction in Mortgage. Very few seem interested in that a reduction on the mortgage effectively reduces the term, reduces the interest they are paying. How strange!

I understand that perhaps there are big bills to pay for, debt to pay off, emergency savings funds to build, or maybe people haven't had a well-earned holiday in some time......but I can't get my head round the attitude 'Let's have the lovely lolly to play with'. Perhaps my MFW OCD runs far deeper than I thought.....I'm going to stick with you guys - I don't like it over there.
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollys wrote: »
    Just popped in to report a £250 overpayment for April (online form filled in) We have upped our overpayments this month in the hope of hitting our target.

Well done everyone

Pollys x

Polly - Love the figures in your sig - a balance that low must feel really good - well done (and well done on the weightloss so far. If only I could buckle down and do the same :()
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My signature is a bit misleading--in 2006 i had a mortgage of 25k with savings of 21k in the bank. i nearly got mortgage free but i hankered after going abroad.--i remortgaged to my 55k that is outstanding now and bought a second home in turkey.-oh the good old days! -my actual mortgage os is actually 70k but in the positive!-

-it does leave me with a dilemma back in the uk where i am saving as hard as i can to clear my mortgage by not touching my occupational pension(i got out early)--what are the typical multiples they are giving on very low ltvs at the moment just in case the days of moving mortgages about return?(i can see me getting it down to 4 x)
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • madeupname1
    madeupname1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    #180. Hmm - bad start to the year with some unexpected hefty expenses, but finally off the mark for the year with a £3,000 OP that went through yesterday :)
  • evi3000
    evi3000 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    April overpayment reported on online form.

MFW 112

Another £1200

Yay to all of us!

X
  • Poppycat1
    Poppycat1 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wanted to say well done to everyone that has managed any sort of overpayment. This is the time last year that I began to give in and start wasting money but, I am hanging on this year.
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure