Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yup we are all different. Travel will be a big part of our plans as long as we are able. Airports and planes are part of it for me. For me, 12 hours in a metal tube isn't improved much by a slightly bigger seat. I fit quite well in a standard plane seat anyway.

Just keep your bl&&dy elbows off my armrest if you're next to me though.;)
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    There are a lot of flights now stopping off in the middle east including Dubai (Emirates), Aub Dhabi (Etihad) and Doha (Qatar Airways)

They don't quite have the same appeal as Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore.

Additionally, if you re going to split a 22 or 23hr trip, splitting it with one of ME3 (say 6/16) defeats the object a bit, when you can have 12/10 if you stop in SE Asia
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    agent69 wrote: »
    They don't quite have the same appeal as Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore.

Additionally, if you re going to split a 22 or 23hr trip, splitting it with one of ME3 (say 6/16) defeats the object a bit, when you can have 12/10 if you stop in SE Asia

I agree. I love travel but have never seen the appeal of the middle eastern countries. Especially the manufactured sparkling high rise types, just like huge shopping centres... not my thing at all!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree with the shopping centre comment for places like Dubai but I have been to Oman 3 times on holiday and it is the most beautiful, largely unspoilt country. Stunning scenery.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 December 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Shows how we are all different. I've spent over 30 years travelling the world for business and never, ever want to do a long haul flight again. In fact, I plan to avoid getting on a plane ever again as I hate airports and air travel.

I've been to every where I want to visit and have taken the family to a few places as well. So gentle touring round the UK and Europe is all we plan to do, as cheap as possible. That's one of the reasons I was able to retire earlier than planned, no more intercontinental travel or expensive holidays.

I so agree with you. OH and I have both spent disproportionate amounts of time on business travel. In addition, I was fortunate to spend several years travelling here-and-there when in my 20s.

I am all travelled-out and (other than India) have visited every long-haul destination on my 'want-to' list. I would probably travel to the US again (lots of good friends there) but top of my current travel list is my own, fair country. So many wonderful places to see in the British Isles. Can't wait.

Second will be road trips to European countries not yet visited (Switzerland and Scandinavia will be first).

Bangkok? Australia? S America? No thanks. Done it. Ironed the t-shirt. Now is the time to check-out the wonderful places on my doorstep.
  • Kit_Katt
    Options
    Im similar to old Music Guy many years of business travel. YTD ive done 78 flights . The red eye flights are the ones that really suck . So travel will be on my radar when i retire but more on my terms and times that really suit me not the meetings.
    On another note looking at fund performance in my pension its down 5.91% last rolling 12m despite pouring cash in. On a brighter note lots more units being purchased. Anyone performing worse or similar to this ?
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    I'm .004% down compared to October last year. If I had not moved a large amount of cash into an HSBC fund 2 days before the February correction I would be slightly ahead. No contributions since February, as that's when I retired.

So overall not too bad given the somewhat volatile year, but my portfolio is defensive (as you would expect, having just retired and being risk averse).
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Shows how we are all different. I've spent over 30 years travelling the world for business and never, ever want to do a long haul flight again. In fact, I plan to avoid getting on a plane ever again as I hate airports and air travel.

I've been to every where I want to visit and have taken the family to a few places as well. So gentle touring round the UK and Europe is all we plan to do, as cheap as possible. That's one of the reasons I was able to retire earlier than planned, no more intercontinental travel or expensive holidays.

I've not really been abroad since 1991, 28 years, 7 holidays, but I've no great wish to travel in retirement. I've seen pretty much all of the UK as a driver, but never had the chance to explore. There are a few places abroad on my list, but as with OMG, not having an extensive destination list means earlier retirement.

Latest potential spanner in my plans, customer is telling me that they are TUPEing my staff to new supplier but told tenderers that TUPE isn't a requirement. Hmmmm.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 20 December 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Whatever your mode or distance of travel I suggest doing it ASAP after retirement.
    Age will begin to change your attitude and that might not change in step with your partners.
    At 74 and retired over 20 years ago I know.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kit_Katt wrote: »
    On another note looking at fund performance in my pension its down 5.91% last rolling 12m despite pouring cash in. On a brighter note lots more units being purchased. Anyone performing worse or similar to this ?

SIPP/ISA portfolio = -3.2% over 12 months. Current allocation 73/22/5 equities/fixed assets/cash. I'm happy with the performance given market conditions. If I include unwrapped cash the asset allocation changes to 60/18/22. Have yet to calculate overall return on the unwrapped cash but it will reduce the drop slightly.

If we weren't so close to retirement the equity %age would be higher, and with a correspondingly higher drop this year. Volatility goes with the territory, and portfolio performance over one year is relative to so many factors that drive asset allocation - age/risk tolerance/objectives/life stage/etc. - that comparisons with others isn't really relevant.

Annual rebalance is due. Decisions/decisions.:think:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure