Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I know that although they wernt planning on living in the EU do not like the idea they cant in future

What on earth makes them think they can't in future?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agent69 wrote: »
    I especially like the shorter queue for the toilets

That's part of the appeal lol.

Although I always go to the back. 9 hours plus is too long to be sitting down
  • atush
    Options
    The are several problems with splitting the trip:

1. The prices will go up, as stopovers are normally chargeable
    2. You will limit who you can fly with (if you want to stop in Bangkok then you really have to fly with Thai)
    3. You have to find somewhere to stop (if you are flying to Aus there aren't a lot of stopping options other that SE Asia).

All taken on board. Stopovers can be economically advisable with split tickets and packages. But i am 2 years away from such dreams
  • atush
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    What on earth makes them think they can't in future?

Because they are american and have no free movement .

Because they are UK and will lose free movement. They might get in skills based if eu does that. but they already have a large number of educated young people w/o jobs.do they want uk lawyers? Accountants? Other graduates? They have enough from what I see
  • Marine_life
    Options
    [*] You have to find somewhere to stop (if you are flying to Aus there aren't a lot of stopping options other that SE Asia).[/LIST]

There are a lot of flights now stopping off in the middle east including Dubai (Emirates), Aub Dhabi (Etihad) and Doha (Qatar Airways)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Because they are american and have no free movement .

Because they are UK and will lose free movement. They might get in skills based if eu does that. but they already have a large number of educated young people w/o jobs.do they want uk lawyers? Accountants? Other graduates? They have enough from what I see

We don't yet know how much free movement will be allowed UK citizens in the EU. The EU seems happy enough to admit unskilled barbarians though.

I'm mildly surprised that EU countries would want English lawyers anyway. Which countries, other than the Irish Republic, use a Common Law system? Malta? Cyprus?

Common experience is that in many fields plenty of obstacles are put in the way of foreigners - such as UK citizens - getting jobs already. (Presumably if one moves within an international business this is less of a problem.)

Your arguments are self-contradictory. If "They have enough from what I see" why would they hire Britons anyway? It's not as though they are famed for their language skills.

I am perhaps biased: I have a family member who has worked on the continent since before the UK joined the Common Market as it then was, contrary to all propaganda implying that in those Dark Ages it was very hard to work, or even travel, on the continent.
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    There are a lot of flights now stopping off in the middle east including Dubai (Emirates), Aub Dhabi (Etihad) and Doha (Qatar Airways)

Perhaps he meant attractive stopping options?
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No sterile transit. Cumbersome and lengthy security procedures. Unreasonably intrusive search process, including digital data and racial profiling. Basically, any US transit is a guaranteed PITA when compared to almost any other transit you might make. More in this article:
    Have you tried it? I have, frequently (it's hard to go to Central/S Amarica otherwise) and it's not that bad. Accept you're going to queue and smile at people. You're on holiday!
    The current halfwit red necks running the show.
    So UAE, Thailand, etc., are better. Right ...
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    Travel is a very interesting topic for the Early retirement wannabe. With plenty of time on our side slower travel is something that really appeals to me. Its great to have the option of driving over to anywhere in Europe and being able to get to out of the way places that most tourists don't visit. We're into hiking and the outdooors. We have a campervan and I can see that we'd like to upgrade that and spend plenty of time travelling around Europe and maybe the US once we retire.

We also like travel to much more far flung destinations. Having traveled both premium economy (outgoing) and business class (return) on our latest long haul flight I'd certainly think that working for an extra year or so in order to be able to continue to travel like that is well worth it for me. Especially as we get older and traveling more difficult physically.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shows how we are all different. I've spent over 30 years travelling the world for business and never, ever want to do a long haul flight again. In fact, I plan to avoid getting on a plane ever again as I hate airports and air travel.

I've been to every where I want to visit and have taken the family to a few places as well. So gentle touring round the UK and Europe is all we plan to do, as cheap as possible. That's one of the reasons I was able to retire earlier than planned, no more intercontinental travel or expensive holidays.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback