PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Parsnips!!!

Options

Comments

• henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    You can slice them really thinly and then shallow fry them to make parsnip crisps. Fattening butr really yummy. (They must be really thin otherwise the aren't too nice, they don't stay crisp shape either but turn into really wierd shapes in the pan. Maybe good for a halloween party - call them witches fingernails or something!
  • goldentouch
    goldentouch Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    I also made an online order for parsnips - I asked for 10. i've never seen such massive parsnips - they cost me £5.06!
    Had them all yesterday because we had an early, extra Christmas dinner.
    I mashed some and baked the rest in olive oil and parmesan cheese. We will be finishing them soon as fry-up. I'm expecting windy weather later :rotfl:
    Silence is more musical than any song
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi ,
    I managed to get some vegatables reduced at Tescos today.Any ideas for Carrots and Parsnips apart from just using them normally of course. I know I could probably freeze some of the carrots but apart from roasting them any sugestions for a glut of parsnips ???
  • Nickything
    Options
    Parsnip and potato mash is delicious on top of a shepherds or cottage pie, parsnipand/or carrot soup, use in casseroles..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nickything wrote:
    Parsnip and potato mash is delicious on top of a shepherds or cottage pie, parsnipand/or carrot soup, use in casseroles..
    Can I make carrot and parsnip soup ? & would I need to put coriander in it for flavour?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • julybride
    Options
    This was served at a restaurant when i was a student it taste fabulous and would easily freeze.
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 :D We did it!!!
  • flighty02
    Options
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound parsnips, peeled and cubed
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
    1 cube chicken stock
    3 1/4 cups boiling water
    1/2 cup cream (or milk if you are counting calories)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 pinch chilli flakes or paprika for garnish
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onion in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips, garlic and curry powder, and fry for a couple of minute. Mix the stock cube into the boiling water, and pour into the saucepan. Stir to remove any bits of vegetable from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until parsnips are soft and easy to break with a wooden spoon.
    Remove from the heat, and blend. Stir in the cream, and heat through. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with red pepper flakes or paprika.
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    you could make some of those posh crisps. There's a thread on here somewhere about that
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. Sheesh but my brain is slow today.

Crisps:-

posh crisps from root vegetables
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=15453

vegatable crisps
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=95316

HM crisps
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=82543
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport