We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Do you have ‘secret’ cash in your wallet/purse?' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

And see the Facebook Discussion on this blog
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    i used to always have a spare £10 just in case, now tho i'm too poor :P
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have it in my wallet but I do have $20, 10 Euros and £5 in my passport just in case my plane ever gets rerouted anywhere weird, or I've forgotten to allow for bus fare home from the airport!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £20 in the car, £20 at the back of my purse, £20 in the blue milk jug in the kitchen. Occasionally the £20 in my purse gets used and replaced but not the other £20's. I suppoe I should check and make sure they're still legal tender ;)
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    In my wallet yes I keep an emergency £20 but for convenience I keep it as four fivers rather than a £20 note, then if I need something like a bus fair or to grab something to eat like you mention, firstly I only need to replace a fiver and secondly most buses won't take a £20 note.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Petaldust
    Options
    I keep £10 hidden in my purse. So well hidden I'd actually forgotten it was there until yesterday!
  • leo56
    leo56 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few quid here and a few quid there, you never know when I might need it.
  • Anja
    Anja Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have £1 in a middle pocket in my purse especially for those annoying supermarkets that need a coin for their trolleys!:mad:
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a secret stash of change at home, but none in my purse. I pretty much rely on my cards for emergency! and in London there's loads of cash machines. But I probably should keep spare money by, especially as there's so many local shops that don't take cards
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yep - used to be a tenner, now £20 in a corner of the wallet. Rationale used to be always have the price of a taxi home...
  • Brydav
    Brydav Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I don't always carry my wallet so I've got a little water-tight (allegedly - I've never tested it, lol) 'pod' on my keyring that will hold a tightly rolled note. I always have a £5 or £10 in there for emergencies. Occasionally have to use it but always replace it as soon as possible and don't count it when I'm adding up my cash. It's called the Cash Stash if anyone's interested.
    Before I got that, I used to keep a spare note folded up in the back of my mobile phone case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure