🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'The bank ID farce: online accounts don't accept online statements' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• GillM
    GillM Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    my employer has just moved to online payslips that they ask you not to print out unless you really have to. I'll bet they don't satisfy bank or mortgage company requirements when it comes to proving your salary. They've also already said that they won't issue any old format payslips so i think there's going to be a lot of people left in a hole.

Not quite the same thing, I know, but when I recently applied for Carer's allowance they were happy to accept a printout of my salary slip as proof of income :)
  • angeltoad
    Options
    All of this would be made so much easier if they used the same rules as counter-signing a passport application. Why not allow a teacher, health visitor, accountant, etc sign to certify the document?

Apparently all teachers, health visitors and accountants are impeccably moral and beyond corruption. This is a naiive archaic assumption as anyone who reads the papers can tell you. why then is it still in use?

Regarding ID, In this time of greater carbon footprint consciousness, many people do not have either a driving license of a passport. Banks now only accept Birth Certificates for under 18's it seems and so without any of the "valid" forms of photo ID, banks become inaccessible. Even trying to collect a replacement card from a branch armed with other cards from them, cheque book, original statments, the letter saying it was ready for collection, other photo ID, council tax bill 2 utility bills and a library card caused quite a scenario. There needs to be more discretion and common sense allowed,.
  • GillM
    GillM Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Okay - stupid stories.

I had to produce photo ID (passport or driving licence) to collect an order from Sainsburys direct. Nothing else was valid. It had to have my photo on.

My playmobil advent calender was obviously a terrorist risk.

That's precisely why I didn't buy something from them a while ago as I don't have a current passport or a photo driving licence. I have recently changed to online gas/electricity accounts and paperless bank/building society statements. I dread ever having to prove my identity anywhere as I obviously don't exist . . .:rotfl:
  • Degenerate
    Degenerate Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Options
    angeltoad wrote: »
    Apparently all teachers, health visitors and accountants are impeccably moral and beyond corruption. This is a naiive archaic assumption as anyone who reads the papers can tell you. why then is it still in use?

I've always thought this, but usually these days they cover themselves by saying "a suitable person such as..." ie they don't explicitly exclude any profession. I've been tempted to get it signed by a dustman just to see how they react. I don't see how they can declare anyone unsuitable unless they have criminal convictions, have been bankrupt or have known mental health issues. To go on record judging people's trustworthiness based on their profession would be asking to get sued.
  • yorkshireman99_2
    Options
    Isn't this yet another case where national ID cards would prove useful?
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    angeltoad wrote: »

It's not so much that they are assumed to be beyond corruption - it's that they've something to lose if they're corrupt. It's not likely your dustman would lose his job for signing a false statement, but the consequences would be greater for others such as police officers, lawyers, etc.

That's the theory anyway. Whether it's valid or effective isn't something I'd want to judge (having once had a passport application signed by an old school-friend just before she fell off her seat and under the table in the pub LOL)
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Wait until you apply for a benefit like pension and they don't accept Online statements!
  • Candice-Marie
    Options
    Martin - does your bank have branches? (No need to answer out loud!) I thought that bank staff could see the original, stamp the copy accordingly and send it to the right department via internal mail. No need for a solicitor-certified copy...

My tale of woe and frustration occured last week. My 13 year old son has applied online for an account with NatWest. He received the paperwork to sign (I have to sign it too) and the letter said he should send the requested ID either in the enclosed pre-printed envelope, or it could be taken to a branch where the ID would be copied and sent on.

Rather than send off his birth certificate and perhaps never see it again, I took it into the branch (plus all sorts of ID for me - just in case). Well they wouldn't accept it, saying my son needed to present it. I pointed out that none of the forms of ID requested from him were photo ID or carried his signature, and that if he posted them in the envelope he wouldn't be present with the documents either. This didn't matter apparently. It didn't take long for the old chestnut of 'data protection' and 'money laundering' to be quoted at me. The all new 'computer says no'...

The counter clerk disappeared to ask someone else who apparently agreed with them...and then came back again with her data protection (errrr just HOW does that apply here?) and money laundering (yawn).

I called the number on the letter from the bank to ask why the branch would not take the documents, and was told that they were mistaken and would I like to go back and try again. I've posted the documents instead, having lost the will to live.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Since A&L turned to Santander ............
    Yes, that happens to me too. It appears the Spanish influence has made them all lose any remnant of common sense.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • holterchris
    Options
    I too have had a suprising experience with HSBC, on a different issue but thought you might like to know this. I needed to withdraw more then my daily amount as I was going away. The bank said the only way I could withdraw a large amount was with a cheque book. I dont have one as I do all my banking online so I asked what could I do and they offered to order a cheque book but it would take a few weeks. Who uses cheques books in this day and age...........does anyone know any retailer who would take a cheque!!. I chose this method of banking to save on paper and to have less risk by having cheques used fraudently. Eventually after complaining to the bank's premier manager, I was allowed to withdraw a larger amount but only after giving them a few days notice. This is my money and I understand the need to protect customers investments but in this example, the bank is completely out of order as they know me and I had ample proof of my identity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport