🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'The bank ID farce: online accounts don't accept online statements' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve just been locked out of one of my online accounts, through no fault of my own
    I'm not sure anyone else on these boards would get away with such a statement. Come on, Martin, how did it happen?
    Certified in this case means I need to find a solicitor to sign the copy
    All of this would be made so much easier if they used the same rules as counter-signing a passport application. Why not allow a teacher, health visitor, accountant, etc sign to certify the document?

And out of interest, Martin, how long do you normally keep paper documents filed before shredding them?
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am predominantly a housewife. I have occasional income to an account still in my maiden name, which is not so odd, I didn't think. It makes sense for bills etc to be in my partners name straight from his account. But this, it turns out has put be at a considerable disadvantage, because in my married name, and in fact maiden name, I have very little proof of identity.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone else on these boards would get away with such a statement. Come on, Martin, how did it happen?

I dont enjoy the same anonymity as other posters on here, so am always deliberately vague when talking about my finances and bank products - for security purposes.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • AFCBdave
    Options
    I have a Barclaycard which I don't use that often, but last month they sent me a new card and an attractive balance transfer offer.

On phoning to take up their offer I was asked a number of security questions, some of which seemed odd because I had never given them the information that they were asking me for.

On being transfered to 'Fraud Prevention', I was told that I had given incorrect answers to all of the security questions. These included factual information like the last three digits of my work phone number and my last postal address as well as more vague questions such as my email address (I have several) and who do bank with (I bank with two banks).

I politely pointed out to the gentleman (who was several continents away from the first chap) that the answers that I gave were in fact correct while it was likely to be their data that was inaccurate or out of date - an offence under the Data Protection Act as it happens.

When delving further, it appears that they had a work phone number from a company I left 8 years ago, along with coresponding email address, and they wanted the bank that I banked with when I took the card out. That was my first student bank account with Barclays in 1982 which lasted 6 weeks!

To cap it all, I was instructed to go into 'my local branch' (I haven't had one for 27 years) with proof of ID and address - passport and utility bill. This would resolve everything and I could continue to use my account and phone up for information. I wasn't convinced, but that's what his script said.

Popped into a very helpful Barclays branch where they confessed to having no idea why I had been sent there, but the counter manager made it her mission to sort the mess out for me. And when we finally got through on the phone (after 2 x 40 minute sessions) they didn't want any other information confirmed so presumable were happy to continue to hold out of date information. Fortunately the counter manager took it upon herself to update the information on their system.

The chap behind me in the queue appeared to have a similar problem.
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    When I tried to open a new metro bank account the ID they wanted was stupid.
    An addressed utility bill, but it had to be a certain type from a restrictive list. No mobile, no water, not virgin media even for landline.
    3 months of statements from my other bank, not online ones.
    Passport
    Debit Card from above bank statements.
    And a pound coin to open the account with.

Luckily I'm a premier customer with my other bank, so just went to their nearest branch, and asked for the statements with addresses on.
    Was told by the minion on the front desk not possible.
    Moaned at them and got passed over to the premier account manager and got the statements printed out and stamped with the branch stamp.

Went back to metro bank and was now told that the statements were not good enough, despite being on bank headed paper, stamped and certified.
    Went into p***ed off mode and they said they'd see what the ID department could do. (they always have departments for everything).

Amazingly they accepted the docs, did a debit card address check with experian an opened my account.

I also have set up a special question and answer on all my bank accounts which only the bank knows the answer to. Kinda a reverse of when they try to verify me.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I went into a bank branch to try to open an account, they wanted me to show a gas or electric bil.

We must be the only country in the world where you have to be a gas or electricity customer before you can have a bank account, it's ludicrous.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    my employer has just moved to online payslips that they ask you not to print out unless you really have to. I'll bet they don't satisfy bank or mortgage company requirements when it comes to proving your salary. They've also already said that they won't issue any old format payslips so i think there's going to be a lot of people left in a hole.

They have this system in DH's office. The printer jams every pay day ....
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    TheGrant wrote: »
    I don't think solicitors are actually difficult to find. I suspect cost is the issue for most folk. Mine does it for nothing for clients. The Post Office do three documents for 7 quid. Bargain. You can get locked out of two more accounts and make it really worthwhile.

For the umpteenth time.....
    The Post office's service is not generally acceptable as certified ID for banks etc because, as I have repeated many times, the individual actually doing the signing (ie the PO counter clerk) are not themselves FSA authorised despite the PO as an institution being so authorised. They cannot thus sign giving their FSA number so the countersigned form is not accepted by many banks as valid certified ID.
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    They have this system in DH's office. The printer jams every pay day ....

My ex employer uses loads of toner cartridges every week printing just over 5,000 pay slips!
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Post Office service is acceptable to the Land Registry for transferring a freehold, though. A fairly high value transaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport