'The bank ID farce: online accounts don't accept online statements' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• davidmcgregor25
    Options
    The reason the bank will want an original statement that is sent by post is that the purpose of it is to verify your address - that you actually stay where you say you stay. Therefore if they accept a statement from online, there is no proof that you actually stay there. By only accepting an original statement which has been sent through the post, they are relying on the fact that the Royal Mail postman has actually posted it through your letter box and you were on the other side to receive it, thus confirming where you are so they can track you down if things go wrong!!

That said, it does seem a bit overkill to request this kind of thing if you are locked out of online. Opening a new account, as a new customer, I can understand as they don't know who you are but I would have thought a few carefully selected security questions over the phone could have 'unlocked' you for online banking.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I like banks that take extra security with my accounts. The inconvenience is a small price to pay but I understand the irony.

They do these things for our benefit IMHO.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always maintained that it is more trouble than not going paper free for statements - and will not going paper-free unless there is general acceptance of online printouts or some other mechanism to prove ID by financial institutions/Embassies for travel visa/etc etc.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my employer has just moved to online payslips that they ask you not to print out unless you really have to. I'll bet they don't satisfy bank or mortgage company requirements when it comes to proving your salary. They've also already said that they won't issue any old format payslips so i think there's going to be a lot of people left in a hole.
  • TheGrant
    Options
    Martin Lewis has one paper statement that he keeps for ID purposes, but he shreaded it. No use is it then?

It wasn't needed. I think it was.

Just stay out of your account till next month. Don't shred it when it arrives, you need this one for ID.

I don't think solicitors are actually difficult to find. I suspect cost is the issue for most folk. Mine does it for nothing for clients. The Post Office do three documents for 7 quid. Bargain. You can get locked out of two more accounts and make it really worthwhile.

L :money:L
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,074 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2010 at 11:56AM
    Options
    I like paper statements - if I ever needed to demonstrate ownership for example for an insurance claim they would be useful evidence at least of expenditure.

Back to the substance of the piece - Martin are you sure a credit card statement is acceptable - I know some banks insist on bank statements.

Another example - despite my wife having about 10 accounts with A&L they still insist on getting a certified copy of the ID each time she wants to open a new savings account (needed every year with A&L when bonus rates expire). Tricky now as the local A&L closed and every where else wants to charge 25 quid for a certified copy. She also suffers because the mortgage, utilities and council tax are all i my name so may not have any acceptable bills for some companies (mobiles definitely do not count).

Final one - I have an Egg card with my wife as an additional card holder, she also has an egg card. To add me as an additional card holder egg are insisting on a certified copy of my passport - pointing out that I am known to them at the same address makes no difference, they are unable to issue the second card without me paying out to get the certified copy - crazy.
    I think....
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    my employer has just moved to online payslips that they ask you not to print out unless you really have to. I'll bet they don't satisfy bank or mortgage company requirements when it comes to proving your salary.
    You'd lose that bet. First Direct takes them for mortgage applications, presumably so does the rest of HSBC. They also accept online bank statements, at least in the case where there is also an account with a posted statement as well.
  • bobrey
    bobrey Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It is definitely bank and financial institutions own internal bureaucracy and idleness which leads them to ask for "original" statements ,utility bills etc. I have an account with Aberdeen fund managers and one of their offices refused to accept a change of address notification on an existing account without 3months utility bills or statements. How can you obtain 3 months worth of statements etc when you have not yet moved.Result was they sent my monthly statements to the wrong address which was ideal for anyone in residence with intention to carry out identity fraud! Here is a practical and cheap solution,banks etc can simply mail out a form to any address for any account and request the account holder to sign and return either in person or by mail to prove that account holder or intended account holder actually lives at that address. Cheap,simple and csutomer friendly but suspect they are too idle to take such proactive steps.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Options
    bobrey wrote: »
    ,banks etc can simply mail out a form to any address for any account and request the account holder to sign and return either in person or by mail to prove that account holder or intended account holder actually lives at that address. Cheap,simple and csutomer friendly but suspect they are too idle to take such proactive steps.

perfect for id fraud, just needs a forged signature and a 'changed'address or somebody intercepting the post...:T:rotfl:
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Chaddad
    Options
    For certified copies of ID's such as a drivers licence or passport, A police station will stamp and sign off any copies you take in at no charge.

I use our local station quite often and they've always been happy to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure