Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have just tried this on-line and found that there is no way to avoid getting a phone call from HMRC - The first step after logging on is putting your address and phone number in to the system - the second step is "WHAT TIME DO YOU WANT US TO PHONE YOU TODAY ?"
    Hardly "disabled friendly" is it ?
    I, am unable to speak on the phone due to a disability - yet there appears to be no options !!

https://www.gov.uk/dealing-hmrc-additional-needs
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I'm sure the original post said Volunteers were excluded but can't see this mentioned now or on the HMRC web site. Does anyone know if this still applies?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I'm sure the original post said Volunteers were excluded but can't see this mentioned now or on the HMRC web site. Does anyone know if this still applies?

This is not an allowance as such. iT is tax relief against tax paid.

As you do not have income from your volunteering there is no tax paid to get relief against.
  • I have been told about this but read up on it and being in the Armed Forces im not able to claim as its part of my pay. I have a payslip with uniform tax relief slot saying £0.00 should i question this or persue tax refund?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I have been told about this but read up on it and being in the Armed Forces im not able to claim as its part of my pay. I have a payslip with uniform tax relief slot saying £0.00 should i question this or persue tax refund?

The allowance may already have been given.

What is your code number?
  • I have 2 sons that I have encouraged to claim for uniforms. Both have claimed using P87; one is in the army and the other repairs cars (logos on clothes and washes at home). In respect of the army son HMRC responded saying that from 6/4/2014 that the agreed amount/allowance has been given by the employer via a Net Pay Arrangement (can't find any details), but they have written again a month later saying that as my son has completed tax returns for the years in question he must make a claim using these forms, but neglected to say which forms! For my other son HMRC have made various payments (why couldn't it just be one payment, reflecting the P87 claim?), but for 2 of the years in question HMRC need to consider whether they can use overpayment relief to claim back the overpaid income tax (because he has completed self assessment returns for the years in question 15/16 & 16/17 and the deadline has passed). HMRC are making a real meal out of this and it is almost like they are hoping we will just give in. The reality is that it has already cost them more just writing to us with excuses than the rebates are worth.
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi all...

I have done this for a number of years... or so I assumed. Do I need to re-apply every tax year - or does it keep rolling over. I know I have received a deduction previously. Apologies if this query has been covered elsewhere...

Thanks! :)
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all...

I have done this for a number of years... or so I assumed. Do I need to re-apply every tax year - or does it keep rolling over. I know I have received a deduction previously. Apologies if this query has been covered elsewhere...

Thanks! :)
    well it is simply a matter of looking at your tax code. We can't see it from here, so what does it say? Is it more than the standard amount? Surely you can look that up yourself?
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have just checked my Tax Code and yes - I have tax relief on Uniforms, shoes/socks, professional subscription/fees. Tax Code 1280L.

Does that mean I can claim my MSE Uniform Washer badge? :j

Thanks
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • Hello all,
    Just wondering if any of you guys will be able to enlighten me as I’m not sure if I’m just being thick.
    I have claimed this around Feb this year, which for me is standard flat rate of £140 as a police officer. I joined this role in January 2018 but did not start paying income tax until the new tax year in April as I did not earn enough in my old job to pay tax. 
    I have just received a check for £26.23 for the tax year April 2018/April 2019. Is that correct or should I have been refunded the £140? I can’t for the life of me work out where this figure has come from.
    I have checked and my tax code for the current tax year is correct and my tax has not been calculated for the tax year just gone yet. 
    Thank you 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure