We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Kenwood Breadmaker questions tips etc

1…1920222425…30

Comments

  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    Swan wrote: »
    hi cooking-mama,
    that's a shame it didn't work :(

    I'm sure there was a thread a while ago about slicing bread & a couple of people were using mechanical slicers, I'll see if I can find it, maybe there'll be some tips :)

    yes try out your Kenwood knife, I got one recently & I don't know how I managed without it
    well I do, I'd only get about 6 slices out of a loaf :o
    Swan wrote: »
    can't seem to find that thread, but I'll keep looking, watch this space ...

    I know it's out there somewhere, because I was pontificating about how you only need a good breadknife & good technique to cut your HM bread :o
    in mitigation, this was in pre Panny & Kenwood days when I'd only had experience of a *Morphy Richards BM


    *don't get me wrong, I love solid rustic bread, but if I want a light white loaf, I want the lightest fluffiest white loaf, not cake

    Thats such a shame about the slicer Cooking Mama:(. I am def going to dig out my electric knife from its high hideaway tonight.
    Made a lovely, egg enriched 1kg loaf last night. It looked as if it had been cut by a woman with broken fingers in the end :rotfl:

    Swan, with you on the 'cakey bread'. I like bread to taste, well...bready!:)
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
  • Update on the slicer...it has been fantastic for slicing roast pork joint today,cant believe the number of slices i got from it,,realy good for "stretching" meat for sandwiches etc too..and it worked well with the small loaf,i got almost double the bread slices i normaly would have,will try the electric knife on a large loaf tomorrow.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    Update on the slicer...it has been fantastic for slicing roast pork joint today,cant believe the number of slices i got from it,,realy good for "stretching" meat for sandwiches etc too..and it worked well with the small loaf,i got almost double the bread slices i normaly would have,will try the electric knife on a large loaf tomorrow.

    Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it! I really need to get my slicing sorted somehow. I am rubbish.:o
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    Wonder if you could all put up your fave thing to do in the BM?
    Mine is the Brioche and the Pizza dough! I haven't been able to work my way through the book yet though. :)
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    my favourite things are Posh Paw's bread with all the seeds in (I have one on now) & a spicy cheese bread adapted from my old MR recipe book

    I haven't tried many of the recipes from the Kenwood book :o I need to be more adventurous



    bit OT this ... I made my standard Italian olive oil bread recipe by hand & made a sunblush tomato & parmesan tear & share & baked it in the oven, I think it might become a favourite :D

    I wonder if you could make the dough in the machine, do the monkey bread/tear & share shaping & then bake it in the machine? :think:

    I'm busy for the next few days, but I might give it a go on Sunday
  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    :huh:
    Swan wrote: »
    my favourite things are Posh Paw's bread with all the seeds in (I have one on now) & a spicy cheese bread adapted from my old MR recipe book

    I haven't tried many of the recipes from the Kenwood book :o I need to be more adventurous



    bit OT this ... I made my standard Italian olive oil bread recipe by hand & made a sunblush tomato & parmesan tear & share & baked it in the oven, I think it might become a favourite :D

    I wonder if you could make the dough in the machine, do the monkey bread/tear & share shaping & then bake it in the machine? :think:

    I'm busy for the next few days, but I might give it a go on Sunday

    God, that sounds delicious! I love savoury breads! I really need to start hand made loaves. I have a wee bit of time over the weekend, hoping to do some then :)
    What is monkey bread? :huh:
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    skyelark wrote: »
    :huh:

    God, that sounds delicious! I love savoury breads! I really need to start hand made loaves. I have a wee bit of time over the weekend, hoping to do some then :)
    What is monkey bread? :huh:
    monkey bread has a few different names, but it's basically just the dough cut into chunks or rolled into small balls & piled into a tin or heaped on to a baking tray, allowed to prove then baked
    you don't slice it, everyone just pulls off a bit to eat

    you can dip the balls/chunks into sweet or savoury mixtures before putting them to rise, add toppings, your imagination is the only limit
    there's a very simple but excellent idea from thriftlady in the first post on the Adventures With Bread Dough thread where you just chop the dough, rearrange it in a pile & chop it again, do that as often as you like then put it to rise

    I've done it with plain dough to serve with soup & it went down really well :)
  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    Swan wrote: »
    monkey bread has a few different names, but it's basically just the dough cut into chunks or rolled into small balls & piled into a tin or heaped on to a baking tray, allowed to prove then baked
    you don't slice it, everyone just pulls off a bit to eat

    you can dip the balls/chunks into sweet or savoury mixtures before putting them to rise, add toppings, your imagination is the only limit
    there's a very simple but excellent idea from thriftlady in the first post on the Adventures With Bread Dough thread where you just chop the dough, rearrange it in a pile & chop it again, do that as often as you like then put it to rise

    I've done it with plain dough to serve with soup & it went down really well :)

    Sounds nice. I will add it to my list of things to try.:)
    Just ordered fresh yeast from amazon. 500g, which can be frozen in 25g blocks when wrapped up. Looking forward to the delivery so I can try it in my HM reipes!:T
    It has really good reviews. Have you tried it?
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
  • I have only made bread..plain white or a kind of 50/50...keep meaning to try the cheese n onion recipe i have(mine is a morphy richards recipe too)I vaguely remember making the cheese n onion recipe from the kenwood book in the past,it was very very nice,but involved a lot of faffing around with frying onions firts etc.
    Anyway so far ,my favourite is programme 2,rapid white(makes better bread than basic recipe on programme 1)
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • skyelark
    skyelark Posts: 223 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2010 at 11:02AM
    :)
    I have only made bread..plain white or a kind of 50/50...keep meaning to try the cheese n onion recipe i have(mine is a morphy richards recipe too)I vaguely remember making the cheese n onion recipe from the kenwood book in the past,it was very very nice,but involved a lot of faffing around with frying onions firts etc.
    Anyway so far ,my favourite is programme 2,rapid white(makes better bread than basic recipe on programme 1)

    I will need to check which one I have used. I will have to look at the cheese and onion recipe. It sounds good. The savoury bread that Swan described yesterday sounds fab too. Made my mouth water!:drool:
    Has anyone tried the mail order fresh yeast from Amazon? Can it be used in BMs?
    In the middle of difficulty lies oppurtunity
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.