PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are we getting short changed.....

Comments

• After reading the posts in this thread it has occured to me that there is a lot of useful brand knowledge going untapped in here. For example micktsb has mentioned that Lidl do great bog roll, chicken and bacon. Perhaps we should start another MEGA type thread and add this stuff to it. If enough people contribute it could become a valuable resource.

And I have to wonder what our combined buying power is? I for one am going to find my local Lidl and try their toilet roll and see what its like. If enough of us agreed with micktsb and started buying it, it would send a clear message to the supermarkets. It is supposed to be us that creates the demand afterall.

Maybe for items where there was a lot of differences in opinion, we could hold a vote and see what the majority goes for?

Would it work?
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am guessing that the toilet roll concerned is the super duper 4 ply stuff with pretty pink flowers on that costs £2.99 for 10 rolls.
    Well that's the one I buy, anyway. Looks very posh, but doesn't cost much!
  • ASDA Smartprice, £1.13 for 12 (9.4p a roll). They are reasonably soft and take them out the packet and noone would know they weren't a decent unquilted variety. Plain white, goes with anything.

I don't think £2.99 for 10 (29.9p a roll) is cheap. Course, maybe the rolls are bigger? :rolleyes:
    I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair
    I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.
    Affirmation. Savage Garden.
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    the best toilet rolls i've found - when taking into account £ vs quality - is aldi's own... £1.75 for 9 rolls. Its not as nasty/thin as say, tesco's value range, but not as fluffy as say andrex.. personally i'm happy to live with the non-fluffy factor given the price :D

keth
    xx
  • sans_2
    sans_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    I got the 12 pack of Nouvelle toilet tissue on BOGOF from Somerfield last Friday (offer ended on Monday this week from memory). Price on shelf said something like £4.29 but I was charged £4.45 so I queried it and got £0.36 back. I got confused at how he had worked that out.

So paid £4.09 for 24 rolls.

Whilst waiting for a tissue offer prior to buying the above I did buy the 4 pack of Asda Smart price toilet rolls for £0.40. Not the best quality but at the price I wasn't expecting much, but was actually surprised at how reasonable it was in terms of price and did last longer than expected. Definately worth it as a stop gap for those times when there is no stock of toilet rolls left.

I had my OHs relatives staying thus reason my stocks had all been used up. Normally I always have a toilet roll 'stash'. :-)
    Tesco points: 101 (£21.50, £19.50, £7.50, £21 & £5)
    Boots points: £0.28
    Pigsback points: 715 (4 xBoots£10 & 1 xPizzaHut£10, 2 x £10 clothing vouchers)
    Mutual points: 3417 (redeemed 8250)
    Rpoints:redeemed 28925 points)Cashbag:£8.91(£20)
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    twink wrote:
    i have noticed the same with cat food in asda, less space for tins

this was in the mail today

pringles was 200g now 170g

Pringles have always had different weights according to which flavour, some are 170g some are 200g Last time I looked (which was many moons ago).
  • sans wrote:
    I did buy the 4 pack of Asda Smart price toilet rolls for £0.40. Not the best quality but at the price I wasn't expecting much, but was actually surprised at how reasonable it was in terms of price and did last longer than expected. Definately worth it as a stop gap for those times when there is no stock of toilet rolls left.

I had my OHs relatives staying thus reason my stocks had all been used up. Normally I always have a toilet roll 'stash'. :-)

LOL at the toilet roll stash comment. My OH always has a toilet roll stash. And her farther is even worse, he gets positively agitated if he doesn't have a dozen or so rolls in reserve!

I've just remembered that the asian shop we use for fruit have packs of 24 or more rolls for a few quid on display. I must stop being a toilet roll snob and try them.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know the toilet rolls from Lidl aren't the cheapest (well, not the 4-ply ones I buy anyway) but I don't judge the cost per roll.

What I mean is, I judge by how much I spend on loo rolls each month. Before I found these ones, I bought Tesco value ones. Obviously I bought more actual rolls, cos each one doesn't last as long. Compared with buying Andrex or such brands, you need to buy more rolls, but the monthly cost is less. Does that make sense?

Well, with the Lidl ones I buy 2 packs a month, so just under £6. But we actually use about 1 1/2 packs a month. In other words, they are dearer per roll, but I spend about the same per month as I did on Tesco value ones.
    Now I am not that fussy - cos, let's be honest you only use them for .... then you flush them away! But if I can have really nice toilet rolls for the same monthly outlay as cheap looking ones, then why not?!!!!
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    i buy nouvelle but only from home bargains or quality save. It is £1.57 in ASDA but always ( at least for the last 18mths) 99p in QS and HB.

I use to buy double velvet until my neighbour had a blockage with the soli pipe. When the man came out he said I bet you uise double velvet, it is always clogging up drains it is a real pain. - Never used it since.
  • sans_2
    sans_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    tee_pee wrote:
    i buy nouvelle but only from home bargains or quality save. It is £1.57 in ASDA but always ( at least for the last 18mths) 99p in QS and HB.

I use to buy double velvet until my neighbour had a blockage with the soli pipe. When the man came out he said I bet you uise double velvet, it is always clogging up drains it is a real pain. - Never used it since.

In Morrisons, Nouvelle 4 pk is sometimes on BOGOF at around £1.68 so worth it when you get 8 rolls during offer at that price.
    Tesco points: 101 (£21.50, £19.50, £7.50, £21 & £5)
    Boots points: £0.28
    Pigsback points: 715 (4 xBoots£10 & 1 xPizzaHut£10, 2 x £10 clothing vouchers)
    Mutual points: 3417 (redeemed 8250)
    Rpoints:redeemed 28925 points)Cashbag:£8.91(£20)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure