PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are we getting short changed.....

Comments

• Phatmouse
    Phatmouse Posts: 449 Forumite
    savvy wrote:
    YEah we've had shops like that here e.g Scoop In and Weigh In..................but they are rapidly closing down!!! :mad::mad: Probably cos everyone goes off to the flamin supermarkets!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I found them expensive, I got coffee, washing powder and some nuts there once and it came to nearly £15.00, when I looked at Asda online I had definatley paid over the odds.

Thats the trouble though my nan used to shop at the grainger market in Newcastle for her meat and veg, now though markets are for rich people!

I can't afford to shop there, I can get 2 chickens for a fiver at asda or 1 for £4 from a butcher, but its catch 22 as markets are now expensive due to loosing so much business and we are accepting more and more (or less and less) rubbish from supermarkets.:mad:
  • Phatmouse
    Phatmouse Posts: 449 Forumite
    And another thing!

My friend works at a flour factory and they use one big hop to fill bags for Bero, Hovis, Asda and Tesco. Why then is there such a massive differance in price and why even why some people see it will their own eyes will the still buy the branded one!!!!!
  • Yeah, I really wish I had kept a curly wurly and a packet of rolos from when I was a kid I am sure they were both twice the size they are now. Also Sainsburys basic washing powder, the economy powder box has definitely got smaller, however I will still buy it bacause where it says tear here, it's the only one I ever found that doesn't need a pair of pliers for the job.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • And... has anyone noticed how 'Snickers' and 'Mars' Ice Cream bars are SO much smaller than they used to be, ballooned out by air in the wrapper??? The manufacturer must think we're stupid!..... Well, my husband and I are not stupid, but considering ceasing to purchase the said bars, as, even when they're on a BOGOF offer they're still not that good value.....
  • Bogof_Babe wrote:
    What bugs me is that it is so hard to compare different brands, or even different sizes within brands, because some packs are marked in grams and some in centilitres, so it is impossible to calculate the value per item.

Had a funny find in Tesco the other day though - a small tin of petit pois was 32p, and a large one, twice the size, was 31p :confused: .

Noticed this before, sometimes the "offer" item is dearer than the original product too!:eek:
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Definitely think the word offer is time to check prices especially if available in different prices:-

I went in to Somerfield a while ago and grabbed a passing bod who worked there because the Nescafe large jars was a 'star buy of the week' - 6p off jar costing £2.72! Especially when last time I bought it a couple of weeks before it was 7p cheaper...

Also when buying wipes, if bogof offer on single packs and larger ones available (ie double or 4-packs) check prices because usually no difference!
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Also has anyone ever met anyone who buys the handy size pack of wipes - must be made of money!!
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • I don't know if this is still the case (as I don't drink pop any more) but in Asda it used to be 33p a bottle or three for £1, bargain!

Joe
  • Somerled
    Somerled Posts: 348 Forumite
    Redmoney wrote:
    And... has anyone noticed how 'Snickers' and 'Mars' Ice Cream bars are SO much smaller than they used to be, ballooned out by air in the wrapper??? The manufacturer must think we're stupid!..... Well, my husband and I are not stupid, but considering ceasing to purchase the said bars, as, even when they're on a BOGOF offer they're still not that good value.....
    I know what you mean. Having bought the Megacruch from Aldi they seem huge compared to the branded variety, i.e. Magnum, Mars etc. The sad thing is that they are a seasonal item. usually finish in Aug/Sept each year. Management tell me it is storage space in the freezers?
    However they still sell their "cornettos" as I write which are delicious and 6 for £1.09
    Veteran Bargain Hunter -
    Best ever bargain: Rugby shirts (seconds) @ 20p
  • Crates of beer in ASDA bug me. Bottles of Stella used to 330ml but they went down to 300ml then 275ml. 275ml is hardly a mouthful is it? Grrrrrrrr.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure