PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are we getting short changed.....

14567810»

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    krimsun wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Seen soap go from 99p per pack to 1.69 over the last few weeks and only just noticed the change from 125g bars to 100g. :confused:

Yes that's one of the tricks. They count on the fact that the vast majority of customers don't pay attention to these details, which mean their shopping expenditure is going up well out of proportion to the "crunch". The mega supermarkets are not losing out very much in this economic climate. ;)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I got chided in a marketing meeting once when I put my hand up and asked if they thought the customer might notice the can had a 1/3 less in it than it used to; despite the super-duper new packaging they were launching.

They didn't invite the lab staff to the meetings after that :)

Cadbury large bars used to be 200g. They aren't any more so now I don't buy them.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    I noticed that the " new Style" Fairy Liquid botttle now contains 450ml, instead of 500. Some people think consumers shop with their eyes shut ......NOT :rolleyes:
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    I've been wondering something similar about cat food. I've noticed that the space our local Tesco allocates to all brands of 400g tins of cat food is diminishing whilst that given over to foil pouches is increasing all the time. Are they trying to phase out tins, I wonder? To my mind foil pouches are an expensive alternative especially as one of our boys (feline, that is) is awaiting an op for an over-active thyroid and is eating 2 x 400g tins a day all on his own:eek: :eek::eek: At this rate the £300 op will be an economy measure!!!

Reminds me of my old boy Thomas a huge tabby.At 15 he developed lymph cancer.He lasted quite a while after diagnosis.Apart from chemotherapy he had to take high doses of steroids to keep him going,this made him put on loads of weight and when he died he weighed 22lbs.
    He looked like a little tiger cub,bless him.
  • kaydn
    kaydn Posts: 251 Forumite
    Alpen light cereal bars now only have 5 bars in a pack used to be 6 and if anything are more expensive
    Kathy
  • craftlady
    craftlady Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bottles of Shloer (that grape drink) used to be 1 litre bottles now only 750ml same price
    Wooligans member 2010 - 6 animal blankets. 2 angel wraps, 2 baby hat, 4 Aaron squares, 5 cardigans
    :A :A :A :A :A :A
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    mandi wrote: »
    I noticed that the " new Style" Fairy Liquid botttle now contains 450ml, instead of 500. Some people think consumers shop with their eyes shut ......NOT :rolleyes:
    The problem is I think the majority of consumers do shop with their eyes shut, they put the same things in their trolley week after week and while they may notice a change in price they're less likely to notice any changes in size. I'll bet if you stood in a supermarket and asked everyone who bought a bottle of fairy if they noticed it had less in most would say they hadn't. It's only a few of us who notice these things and that's why these companies get away with it.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • That is true. I had not noticed any of this. I'm really annoyed. Decent people just couldn't think of it. However, I still need washing up liquid and tins of tomatoes. They have got us over a barrel
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There are many ways supermarkets and other retail outlet hoodwink us into buying what we think is one thing when it is in fact another. Take fruit and vegs for instance - a little less in the pack, a smaller head of broccoli, seven apples instead of 8... and most just buy the item without paying attention.

So the food bills go up not just because real prices go up, but because on average more has to be bought.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    megasaver wrote: »
    Baby wipes was something else that hadn't really registered. They used to contain 80 wipes in a pack, now they have 72. Have been told they will go down to 64 soon..... I so hope that isn't true :eek: .....I cut mine in half as it is to make them go further!
    Different brands of wipes contain anything from 64 to 80 per pack, even some different types of the same brand contain different amounts (Huggies Pure has 72 whereas Aloe has 64!).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure