PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    The central heating will not be going on until November or longer if I have a say in it.
    We do have a multifuel stove, so if it gets cold that will be lit, we have already bought the coal this summer when it is a lot cheaper to buy and we have lots of well seasoned wood and more that we have just cut that is in kept in a separate place to the seasoned wood.
    The central heating won't be going on until it drops below freezing for any length of time, so until then it will be extra jumpers, throws, bedsocks blankets, hot water bottles and throws.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're still sleeping with the quilt cover and no quilt as it's still warm down here in Hampshire. We don't ever put the heating on in any event, not since we had the woodstove put in, and we won't be lighting that up until it gets cold enough to notice we've added several layers of clothing and still feel chilly. We've got used to running cooler nowadays and only use the boiler to heat water in the tank for an hour twice a day. I find it uncomfortable going into centrally heated houses as I'm always wearing too many layers to be comfortable.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    We've used the wood burning stove, because it's new and we can mostly though.
  • Tinwhistler
    Tinwhistler Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    I try to stick to warm clothing including poncho over my jumper. Few days ago my Reynaulds triggered and I stuck my gloves on. Warm this afternoon without.
    :female: INFP :female:
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have had the heat on for a couple of hours several times....OH feels the cold very much and turns the whole house on....I dont notice until I get too warm, would just put on oilfilled radiator if I had my way

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Had my washing out to dry today so obviously not nearly cold enough for heating. It is a bit more airish but a jumper is quite enough even when my husband is up at 6am for work.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well this year our heating has been on for most of August. I kept hoping it would get warm again but no such luck.

Before I put on just two radiators I kept adding layers. I had on a vest a t-shirt a jumper a cardigan and a dressingown I cannot normally wear even in the coldest weather and I was too cold to move my joints had ceased up. I think this is the effect of cancer or the treatment.

I think it is also partly the house because it is open plan and all heat goes upstairs so I think we will not have any heating upstairs during the winter. I don't remember such a cold August since the 50s. I have lots of photos of my parents on the beach with their winter coats on and they were good thick wool one better than anything you can get these days.

I dread the bills this year unless it warms up again like last year. The average temperature has been around 13 degrees. It did not get that low until nearly Christmas last year. We have only had the heating on in the evenings.
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    OFF!! love it when it gets a little colder, I can start to wear jumpers and slippers again.

Blanket on the bed. Slanket ready if it gets any colder. Will try and wait til October.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2014 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Off and it's staying off until October (to my teenage DD's discuss as they are moaning constantly that they are cold ...i'm a terrible parent lol)
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its getting a bit chilly here, started to wear my cardy! hoping to not need the heating till October at least.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback