Do you share food bargains or take the lot?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
148 replies 21.8K views
191011121315»

Replies

  • poppycod wrote: »
    It tends to be those people who have 8 or 9 kids in their family who demonstarte the most greed and ill manners as they often take everything if they can!

    I suppose queue-ing patiently is not really part of their culture.


    another racist comment!!!

    not that i have 8 kids but are you generalising a tad here??????????
    GRATITUDE WHEN GIVEN, PATIENCE WHEN DENIED

    Please press the thanks button when someone has helped!
  • I take it you have a job and are comfortably well off? Those people that you look down on as greedy are just being sensible and taking full advantage of an opportunity to save money. Taking as much as you can and freezing it to use another day instead of paying three or four times more another time is good money saving. Over the years I have saved lots of money by buying reduced items, some you win some you lose, at least be grateful that you are white, and therefore don't get nasty racist comments from your fellow shoppers. Questions I've been asked are :"Are you planning to make a nappy bomb?"; "Are you planning to make a salmon bomb?"; "Are you planning to make a bagguette bomb?" etc etc etc.

    When you've lost all hope in life and know that your chance of getting a job is zero, I guarantee you won't give a flying fcuk what some nasty, condiscending beech, jibber jabbers at you whilst you are trying to grab the bargains that make the difference between whether or not your family gets a decent meal that evening.

    well said ian
    GRATITUDE WHEN GIVEN, PATIENCE WHEN DENIED

    Please press the thanks button when someone has helped!
  • my Dad is one of them that takes what he can carry, filling the fridge at home with woopsie sticker things...
    .... and two days later his wife is one of them that puts most of it into the bin because its still sat there, uneaten and out of date!
  • ...I picked up a bag of pies from the Bakery which had been reduced. Then later (after nearly finishing my big Xmas shop), I went back to the bakery as I had forgotten something and noticed that the table of reduced items were being marked down in price again, so asked the lady if the pies were being reduced further too, she said that she couldn't reduce the pies because they had already been in my trolley!
    i blame a large chunk of my 30stone bulk on morrisons bakery :-( especially when they reduce them... i just cant seem to say no !
    they're much nicer than greggs or sayers or asdas in store bakery
  • charlie-chancharlie-chan Forumite
    666 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Don't know if anyone else has experienced this in Morrisons....

    Before Christmas, I picked up a bag of pies from the Bakery which had been reduced. Then later (after nearly finishing my big Xmas shop), I went back to the bakery as I had forgotten something and noticed that the table of reduced items were being marked down in price again, so asked the lady if the pies were being reduced further too, she said that she couldn't reduce the pies because they had already been in my trolley! so I asked what about the pies on the table (which were the same as the ones I had), and she said that she couldn't reduce those any more either, because I had the same ones in my trolley :mad:. I though that this was a bit of a 'jobsworth' attitude. There was no one else looking at the reduced stuff, I had asked her politely. I ended up putting the bag of pies back on the table and leaving them!

    Sainsburys on the other hand are always very helpfull, so gold star to them! :A

    Zippy x

    I am afraid that rule applies to Mr T as well. When you pick up an item (reduced or not) you are willing to pay for it at that price.

    I think that assistant also knew that you would have put your first reduced item down as soon as their back was turned and taken the newly reduced item instead which just adds to their workload when they have to reduce items again.

    We get a lot of complaints about it but if you do it once for someone, everyone will expect it and I would have been happy to pay for it at first reduced price. There are people more worse off and I bet it would have only been a small change in price on the second reduction.
    Competition Wins:

    Glee Goodie Bag!
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by poppycod viewpost.gif
    Of course rudeness is colour blind but it is also obvious that there is no such thing as patiently queue-ing in some cultures and some countries.

    In Britain we are a nation of queue-ers, however not all those who have been welcomed to these shores practice this.


    celebrate wrote: »
    OMG that is such a racist comment!!!!!!!!!

    It's not racist at all, it's just you trying to take the moral high ground by accusing someone of being racist.
    celebrate wrote: »
    Please donot generalise, in my experience i have seen people of all ethnic groups including local whites who push and shove and don't always queue politely. There are good and bad in all races and cultures.

    And thats the point, poppycod didn't point out any one particular race or culture, just said "however not all those who have been welcomed to these shores practice this"

    That means EVERYONE, who has come to this country regardless of colour, race, culture or religion.

    If you are correct when you say "There are good and bad in all races and cultures" then what poppycod said is correct. Of all the people who have came to this country to live, not all of them practice good queueing.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • It's not racist at all, it's just you trying to take the moral high ground by accusing someone of being racist.



    And thats the point, poppycod didn't point out any one particular race or culture, just said "however not all those who have been welcomed to these shores practice this"

    That means EVERYONE, who has come to this country regardless of colour, race, culture or religion.

    If you are correct when you say "There are good and bad in all races and cultures" then what poppycod said is correct. Of all the people who have came to this country to live, not all of them practice good queueing.

    Funnily enough I was just watching a comedy routine by a Canadian that mocked our propensity to queue :-) I lived in Germany back in the 80s and was gobsmacked at how they all rushed for the door when the bus arrived, almost knocking over little old ladies. It is a fact - the UK tend to queue, whilst quite a few other cultures don't... nothing racist about that comment.
  • drblueboxdrbluebox Forumite
    165 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    In my experience, its the stereotypes that are the greediest, i.e the old ladies grabbing everything then knowing other people are trying to get something speak to the air about them being poor and on a pension.

    Around Christmas time a new Tesco Express opened up around the corner from my hosue and was amazing for bargains(until everyone realised it was good for reduced stuff which is a shame) and they had 2 of those fresh soups in a carton for 9p each but the full price ones were in the next fridge along.

    There was this woman on her knees blocking other people from getting into the fridge then debating on everything that was reduced about what to get.

    Anyway they picked up the 2 soups and then picked up an entire row of the full priced ones so to be nice I mentioned that I dont think they are the reduced ones and they must of assumed I was being rude as they muttered something, then they went to the till and when the items scanned through at full price they demanded a manager and claimed they were being ripped off, eventually they left and claimed they would never be back, but first paid their 38p of shopping with a credit card! After they left the person on till said to the other till staff member that if they had been polite she would of reduced it.

    I spoke to the assistant and said the women were blocking everyone off and I was too polite to mention it.

    Anyway as for me personally I generally take a huge amount of reduced stuff I see within reason, I dont eat many things like bread and rolls but if I see something like a loaf of Kingsmill for 10p I get it, or 6 rolls for 5p but anything else be it cheese, meat, eggs, pizzas I take a big amount but not all.

    I.e lets say I see Asda's pizzas they have next to the meat counter and they have like 10 reduced to 50p I get about 5 or 6 of them as I know my freezer cant hold more and they will last a while,or if I see say 6x 1 litre bottles of milk I buy about 4 or 5 as I like to drink milk and such.

    Also I stand to the side and only move my trolley closer to the shelves if its obvious one or two people are blocking other people off, and if there is a staff member reducing items I usually talk to them and mention that I am standing out of the way just in case someone else wants some stuff but close enough so someone doesnt attempt to take everything and admit I come to supermarkets late to get the bargains as I can stock up very cheaply and they are 9 times out of 10 nice to me.

    A few months ago was in a Morrisons about 20 minutes before closing and there was a staff guy reducing most things to like 10 or 20p and this guy picked up a few Ginsters that had been reduced to 10p then asked for the staff member to reduce them to 2p for him(all of them!) and the staff member said no.

    Another time not to generalise but I was in Warrington which has a huge Polish population(I lived there for over a year myself so saw foreign people all the time) One time I went in on a Friday night and they had about 50-60 sandwiches reduced to like 10p each, I got a variety of them(8 in total) then was thinking of getting more to last me a week or more but thought that would be greedy, some Polish people come along( I can tell by the accent and I know a few words) and picked up one of the sandwiches and then took the entire shelf into their trolley(as I say there would be about 50 sandwiches left after I took mine!) Which I thought was very very greedy.

    My brother told me once someone filled a trolley of shopping with every reduced item and wouldnt let anyone else have any so my brother started taking things out of the persons trolley and the person was agressive with him, so my brother told him that he was allowed to since the guy hadnt purchased the items yet which I say is good for my brother.

    Final thought is that Asda is the best supermarket for reduced things, have gone to 1 in Warrington when I lived there for a year, 1 in Ayr where I lived for 18 months, one in Chester and I constantly see 10p items, the Warrington. Birchwood one is the best though.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides