We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free Sky Movies Weekend 29th-31st (1 channel)

Options

Comments

• NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    martint123 wrote: »
    Afraid it looks like subscribers only.

Surely its just going to be made FTV for a couple of days rather than them sending a special authorisation signal out to decrypt it for the weekend. They won't do the latter because it won't be made free to view for everyone at the same time as the Sky smart card authorisation signals cycle over several hours for all the different boxes in use.

However the list of movies on the Showcase channel is rubbish so I can't see the reason for all the fuss. In fact it is little better than what they now show on TrueMovies.................
  • SusieRoland
    Options
    Would be an interesting night in, but I'm going to a wedding this weekend so looks like I'm sticking with Virgin yet again :D
  • helenmcasmith
    Options
    All SKY and VIRGIN subscribers can watch the fims. See FAQ at sky website - freeweekend-2 (Sorry it won't let me post the URL - says I am a new user which I am NOT - been registered for ages!!!
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    All SKY and VIRGIN subscribers can watch the fims.

But so can all Sky non subscribers who use their boxes on a Freesat basis...........
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As some of you are not aware - Sky are currently running a free 2 month "trial" that gives you ALL the movie channels and also Disney Cinemagic for all subscribers - you just need to ask.

Don't forget to cancel in a months time (months notice required to avoid charges) !!
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    Don't forget to cancel in a months time (months notice required to avoid charges) !!

And do also factor in the cost of your wasted time in making two half hour to an hour long phone calls to Sky to set this up and then to cancel the deal and the cost of making the calls on an 0844 number at 5p per minute.

For the above reasons I personally wouldn't bother.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And do also factor in the cost of your wasted time in making two half hour to an hour long phone calls to Sky to set this up and then to cancel the deal and the cost of making the calls on an 0844 number at 5p per minute.

For the above reasons I personally wouldn't bother.

email is much simpler (and free)
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    email is much simpler (and free)

Which is no good if Sky consistently fails to take any notice of emails or call back in response to them.

They do have online account management but it only allows you to upgrade to a more expensive package and not to downgrade. Downgrading can only be done through a long and tortuous phone call to an 0844 number.
  • martint123
    Options
    Surely its just going to be made FTV for a couple of days rather than them sending a special authorisation signal out to decrypt it for the weekend. They won't do the latter because it won't be made free to view for everyone at the same time as the Sky smart card authorisation signals cycle over several hours for all the different boxes in use.

In cases like this, they don't send an authorisation code to each card, but set the channel as available to the minimum subscription. By doing it this way, they let minimal subscribers view it and prevent Freesat users seeing it.
  • guido342
    guido342 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Certainly the last time sky offered a free movie weekend I recorded anything that might be worth recording and watched at a later date.

Regards
    dave
    Discount vouchers are not a prize but a marketing tool. IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport