We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Giving Up/Cutting Down Alcohol Support Thread - Numero 9!

1…161162164166167…486

Comments

  • winebox
    winebox Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Even my liver function is normal and that astounds me more than anything, if I am honest.

    Feeling the bells tonight, with my brain telling me the fact I am relieved about my blood test results means I can have a drink. Hmmmm.......... :eek:


    WB - GREAT to see you back! Hugs.

    Caz
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Hi Caz (hugs back x) - I can relate to this! I've requested 2 blood tests in 4 years now & both have been OK, surprised but relieved, but opposite reaction, I thought how lucky, don't push yer luck any further, & didn't drink...sadly only for a couple of days.

    I've not been AF today or yesterday, BUT neither have I had my usual 2+ bottles. A friend & I have a pact (we have fully confided in each other & have both agreed nobody else knows about our drinking habits) & have set ourselves targets about (1) the earliest time we have the 1st drink (OK, I know the whole subject is serious, but I fell about laughing when she admitted to a bottle of wine at 11am due to the pain of having her legs waxed) & (2) how many AFDs a week we have. I've pointed her to this thread & said she'll def guess which name is me but I don't think she's visited yet!

    It's v quiet on here at the mo - hope you're all OK, I have to go now too, have a good evening all x
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Evening all,

    Hope you are all well and in a place you want to be tonight...

    Apologies not AF tonight, although I've only had a sip... so far....!!!

    No real bells, so I haven't got any excuses.. even been to 4 different supermarkets and resisted all my fav's on offer, just had a sod it moment...!!!

    Planning on AF tomorrow as I have a long boring course !!! yawn !!! to sit though on friday.....

    big hugs all round. xxxx
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

    MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • graemecarter
    graemecarter Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Trasijocha wrote: »
    I`m ashamed to say I`ve had a terrible start to the month. Monday night the mother-in-law came round and she clashes with my daughters boyfriend so I got two bottles red in as I had a feeling it was all gonna kick off and I couldnt face it sober. As predicted it did all kick off badly and in hindsight it would have been better handled if I was sober. It was very traumatic to say the least and the next day nursing a hangover and still feeling rreally traumatised I went out and bought two more bottles wine which had the desired effect in the fact that I slept in a drunken stupor from about 9pm but then I awoke in the night at about 3am sweating and jittery and couldnt get back to sleep as I was ashamed of the amount of drink I had consumed over the last two days and I knew I had a lot to do today and was gona have to do it all with yet another hangover. Anyway after getting the kids off to school I had a good hour solid sleep which has kinda done the trick. Hubby at home with me today so wont be tempted to go out and get anymore alcohol besides I want to be sober now I`m sick of being drunk and having hangovers. :(

    Eventually I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    However, I had to drink every single drop until I was ready to go to any length to stop. I hope no-one on this thread loses too much (relationship, children, job, house, car, health, etc) before they get to that point.
    I used to run away from things using alcohol too. Eventually it all caught up with me.
    Good luck
  • *Mari*
    *Mari* Posts: 473 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi there,

    Just popping in to say 3 please for both Pen & Shaggy, thanks.

    Manic here so rushing off again,

    Take care xx
  • 3 for me too please Shaggy.
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Hiya everyone. I haven't been on here for a while, I wanted to catch up with you all see how you are all doing. Lovely to see you Winebox x
    Anyone seen fedupandskint? How is she doing?
    Graeme sent me a PM a while back, which was lovely. Thanks Graeme
    I have to admit me and OH have been through a bad patch last few weeks, and its amazing how quickly you can slip back into old ways.
    £100 - £10,000
  • Evening everyone,

    Another day down so:

    Pen 3 for the Mon - Thurs challenge please,

    Shaggy 3 for November ta.

    Good night everyone.

    RN
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
    (Mark Twain)
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Change The Day You Die on Sky 3 motivated me to stop drinking and to get fitter.
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    randomname wrote: »
    sounds like there are some sore heads around this morning (except HB who has boiled hers)

    :rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:
    It's a good day here.

    Sober here three weeks tomorrow.

    Feels good.

    Fantasic, just fantastic :T:T
    janjan1 wrote: »
    I just read your message and decided we must have been separated at birth....it's my first time on here today as I have finally decided to take some action to improve my unhealthy lifestyle, as I looked and felt yuk this morning.

    Saying this although, like you, I too could quite easily uncork another bottle tonight.........I need divine intervention!!

    Hi JJ and welcome to the thread, good luck in your giving up/cutting down venture :)

    Morning all :D :wave:

    Sorry for my AWOL'ness, been a bit full on at work and home here for the past few days.

    Found out on Tuesday this week that OH is having an affair, I'd suspected it for a month or so, suspicions (sp?) were mounting and I read something on Tuesday morning which made it fact. This is the best thing that could've ever happened to me on the drinking front. I am determined to get out of this relationship sober and am 100% ready to confront him when the time is right which could be anytime day or night and I will need to be completely sober.

    For the record, please don't do hugs or sorry posts, I have dreamt of this moment for a lot of years and I can't wait to be single again, so pop the champagne corks!!!........:undecided oops.....I mean the Shloer corks :D :beer:

    3 for me please Shaggy and Pen :D
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • graemecarter
    graemecarter Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Evening everyone,

    I've been to the docs today and my blood test results were fine! I am so relieved. The receptionist lead me to believe I had horrid abnormal results and I worried for nothing. Even my liver function is normal and that astounds me more than anything, if I am honest.

    Anyway, I am still run down, but feeling like I may have turned a corner on the road to getting back to full health, from this virus/tonsillitis/chest infection/whatever it is I have suffered with over the last 4 weeks that has knocked me for 6.

    Feeling the bells tonight, with my brain telling me the fact I am relieved about my blood test results means I can have a drink. Hmmmm.......... :eek:

    Have a great evening everyone.

    WB - GREAT to see you back! Hugs.

    Caz
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


    Good news Caz

    I don't think that any evidence of the harm drinking was doing to me would have actually stopped my drinking.
    I didn't believe I COULD stop drinking and be happy. The though of no alcohol was utterly terrifying. However, like many fear, perception is different to reality.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.