PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cutting down consumption of loo paper

Comments

• Hellyboo
    Hellyboo Posts: 595 Forumite
    WizardingWorldHarryPotterMerchandiseCandyU-No-Poo.jpg
    So, there are these boys,
    They kinda stole my heart,
    They call me Mummy

WW 37lb (2 STONE 9lbs! :j ) lost since July, 11tybillion to go...
  • fayhare wrote: »
    We use cut up rags for wee's in my house and paper for poo. Most of the rags are from old flannelette sheets and I haven't bothered hemming them. When they get too scrappy round the edges they get trimmed again till too tiny to use. We also have some made from old tshirts which although not so thick are great cos they don't fray.

The rags get stored in a bin with a lid and then thrown in the washing machine once a week or so. Our consumption of toilet roll has gone down considerably since doing this and I am happy that I am using less trees. Obviously you have to factor in the washing of the rags but I am more than happy to throw them in with other washing as its only wee.

Great for you that you are able to economise in this way, but I have to say eugh!
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Great for you that you are able to economise in this way, but I have to say eugh!

me too :eek:

one way to cut down would be to go at work
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Great for you that you are able to economise in this way, but I have to say eugh!

But what's the difference between this and washable nappies, baby wipes, hankies, and sanitary towels?? It's just wee, not poo,bacteria infested snot, or blood.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Not that I am advocating theft, but when I was younger and lived abroad one of our favourite things to do to save our meagre pennies for beer was helping ourselves to loo rolls. The only place you could get them easily was an Irish pub, so we always took one whenever we went there. We even had a song to accompany it. :o

Other then that, I too am contemplating reuseable wipes for the bathroom, I will leave real paper for the guests in the downstairs loo though, and I also squash the roll.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • As someone who has a stepdaughter that uses 6 or 7 sheets just for a wee, it annoys me. I've tried squeezing the roll but that doesnt work. I'm going to start handing her 2 sheets before she goes:rotfl:
    Home Bargains is a really great for loo paper. I've just been converted to it.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Fayhare, what can I say? You must be the most money saving person I know, saying that, what the hell did they do in the old days?
    Must have been something similar, surely....well, maybe not the mooncup....:rotfl::rotfl:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • swap to that stuff which is like tracing paper... Izal, I think it's called? Much cheaper, much stronger so you only need one sheet...

But don't forget to scrunch it up first to soften it up a bit, otherwise it's not the most comfortable thing to use :rotfl:

OMG, my MIL uses that. :eek:

• Hellyboo
    Hellyboo Posts: 595 Forumite
    I find that the value stuff is a false economy tbh. It's so thin you need to use more for it to do it's job and be absorbent. I pay a little bit more and get the next step up and it lasts much longer.
    So, there are these boys,
    They kinda stole my heart,
    They call me Mummy

WW 37lb (2 STONE 9lbs! :j ) lost since July, 11tybillion to go...
  • I'm quite glad to have been living now then..not that I need sanitary protection anymore.:D
    You do what you want to do and what you believe in...good on you!:j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family