We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 14

1…725726728730731…907

Comments

  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,187 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I did baby signing as part of the baby massage course I did with Charlotte. I never really bothered with it as I found it easier just to teach the words rather than signs, as I did with the boys. If it's a first child it might be easier as you've no past experience to compare it to.

    Another day of revision today. I'm full of cold and feel really blergh, so fingers crossed it goes away before Monday.

    It's Jack's first birthday today :cool:
    Here I go again on my own....
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Som, i have a good book from Amazon with baby signs. I will link it when not on my phone. I want to startteaching the signs for different foods so he can tell me what he want he wants. :)

    Becles, the prinicple of signing is babies can sign and communicate before they develop the right muscles for speech. So it gives them a mechanism for communication at an earlier age.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

    would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    Morning all!

    Terribly night here with the Snotmonster, but Happy Birthday Kieren!!

    So very very tired.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2010 at 8:42AM
    hi all :)

    mfd or anyone procrastinating on doing an soa, one thought might be to get someone to do it with/for you, like a RL friend.

    Also not everyone likes the calculator used on DFW from make sense of cards so it's worth remembering that there are others like motley fool

    They often save you so much money right from day one that I'd say do try to make yourself as soon as you can, as it is often the highest paid 3-4 hrs of your life to do so!

    :hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • bexta
    bexta Posts: 753 Forumite
    Hi Michelle, I was just thinking you hadn't been on and wondering if you were ok.

    Hungry Horace here has watched us like hawks when we eat almost since birth - 'food' was the first word she recognised. The rare meals I don't eat one handed (she likes to eat at the same time :)) she sits in her little chair following the food and moving her mouth like she's chewing. We figure it's practising for the 'real thing', which scarily isn't too far away :eek:

    :heart2:Sophie May:heart2:
    2/07/2010







  • bexta
    bexta Posts: 753 Forumite
    CAFC, just reading back, I know there's meant to be a 4 month growth spurt (dreading, lol) could it be that Landen's hitting it now? Might be why he's acting like starving Marvin. You'll never have to worry about bingo wings whilst he's a baby, think of it that way :p

    :heart2:Sophie May:heart2:
    2/07/2010







  • MichelleM
    MichelleM Posts: 382 Forumite
    Nice to see you Michelle - have been thinking about you. xxx
    bexta wrote: »
    Hi Michelle, I was just thinking you hadn't been on and wondering if you were ok.

    Awww... nice to know I was missed! :A
    Thank you for the information and experiences regarding signing, I think I would like to just work on a few key words- the ones you do aless sound perfect. It would be nice if she could let me know when she was hungry/tired and a bonus if she needs a nappy change too! Ive booked a 6week course so looking forward to it now. :D

    Mmmm... may start giving A pieces of apple/carrot now aswell since everything goes in her mouth anyway. I have to say I did give her a sneaky bit of baby porridge a few days ago- just to see how she reacted. She was shouting at me in between each spoonful because I wasnt quite quick enough and there was no spitting out at all! I won't be following the 6 months advice for weaning (mainly for practical reasons as I will be back at work in Dec :(- bad mummy :o) I was thinking 21 weeks?

    How is everyone anyway, read lots of stories about DH/DP's being noobs- me and DH had a bit of an argument last week- he actually complained about the fact that I have been out only 3 times (for about 2/3 hours at a time) with my friends without A in tow. He did realise he was being a muppet though, I think it came down to fear more than anything; he was very worried about not doing things right or something bad happening. I think men presume we just know how to care for our children- personally, I think that we can be bothered to research/ask advice whereas most men just expect to be told what to do.

    P.S sorry about my rant about The Boy in the Striped PJs! lol :rotfl: School has Ofsted in at the mo.... gutted im missing it- I enjoy being observed and getting feedback because im a geek!
    First baby born 10/06/10
    :heartpuls 6lb 10z:heartpuls
    I love my little family
  • Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    Hi all :)

    I get fed up of having to spell out my name. It's double barrelled and sometimes confusing if you're telling someone over the phone. Likewise with our street name, and the postcode. Don't know why I always say 's for sugar' though - sugar doesn't even have an 's' sound!

    I always say this, mainly drummed in from my mum I think when she used to spell our surname... she also does the M for mother, N for november :rotfl:

    William had an awful night last night coughing loads and really heavy breathing. Gave him some nurofen at one point which helped and a bottle at about 2 which he hasnt had in months :eek: hope he's not going to start wanting one!! So I am knackered.

    OH blagged day off and is taking him to drs hopefully (mainly cos he doesnt want to work till 9 tonight!!)
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • Morning everyone - I hope any poorly babies/mums are feeling better soon!
    ;) Working hard in the hopes of being 'lucky' ;)
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    This is the baby signing book we have. It's part of a bigger series, but you won't need a lot of the signs at first. But it's got cute pictures and provides a good jumping off point. The key is repetition - lots and lots and lots of it, as it takes a while baby to figure out what you're doing.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

    would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.