We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All about balance isn't it Jimmy, hope you managed to get them out in the good weather yesterday.

Took ours to a local fete yesterday, £6 spent on unlimited bouncy castle rides which DD went once and then played football. £66 spent on football kit and crossing fingers it fits okay as we couldn't get to the fitting. That should arrive within a month so plenty of time before the new season starts.

36p requested on tcb and raised a support ticket for claim that's not reached payable.

Weather been good this morning so took the children to play tennis at the free courts near our house and then onto a park. Think the novelty has worn off for ds though as he says he doesn't like it now. Two days ago it was his favourite and meant an easy couple of hours out. Onto the next park it seems,we tend to do a tour over the summer!

Payday 3 weeks away and we are on a tight budget but we mostly do free activities unless we get together with friends so am confident it will last. Nsd today so far and don't plan on leaving the house again today!

Time for a coffee and a chapter or two of my book :)
    June 2024 - part 1 - £28,832 part 2 - £24,400 Total - £53,233 41 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Weather remains unpredictable so continuing to get out when it's dry. Played tennis again yesterday which they both enjoyed.

Was doing well not spending until the lawn people called so now have an £18 bill for that. Was going to see if dh fancied going to the zoo for an hour after work but it's just clouded over again and the sky is black.looks like a day at home. Children are bored but so far have played hangman and DD has started writing a letter reply to her friend. They're not interested in drawing/colouring at the moment and we are passed the play doh stage! My mum has recently taught DD to crochet but that's not in favour today either! I predict a long few days if the weather stays like this.
  • CathT
    Options
    More rain!!

Popped to m*s yesterday and timed it well for the reductions. Got 3 full bags of shopping for £21 which was all covered by vouchers. We tend to usually eat a lot of the same meals so we have some great variety for the next few days. Aloe bought DD a new swimming costume and socks again all paid for with vouchers. I'll be disappointed when they end next month and may need to look into another account switching offer!

Had heard about b*gas increasing their prices and tried to change my tariff last week as our direct debit has increased by about £25 a month. It wouldn't let me do it online but I'm now considering a switch. I usually avoid this as in my experience they offer you a lower direct debit to reel you in but then we found it increasing after a short time.

No more money spent from spends account to that's hanging in there and payday is edging closer!

Have been tracking my macros religiously for two weeks and it is working really well. I might even be at target for our holiday! It works well for me as I can eat what I want as long as it fits my macros and no food is out of bounds! Steps are rubbish due to the weather so that's still something to work on as don't have enough energy for proper workouts yet.

Now I just need to think of something to keep the children entertained all day!
  • CathT
    Options
    More rain forecast :mad:. Washing is piling up as I am saving it for a dry day! We made the mos of being stuck in most of the day by finishing off the game of monopoly we started the day before and dd wrote some more of her letter and I did some keywords with ds. We also had lots of fun playing 'who am I?; with post its. No need to buy official games here! Once the sun come out we popped to the park to play football so at least got some fresh air.

I am realising how dependent on us the children are to entertain them. They are nearly 9 and 6, mostly play well together and have good imagination but we get lots of 'what are we doing now?' Not sure how to encourage them to find their own fun! Any suggestions I make don't appeal to them. They're fine if they are outside, it's in the house they look to us to be the source of all their fun!

Had some good luck yesterday as had a call to say I had won the raffle in the local charity shop. I'd bough a ticket without even looking at the prize as they asked me when I was last in there buying something. I strongly support the charity so was happy to support them regardless. Turns out I now have a rather nice food hamper! Also received £5.50 in t3sco vouchers but that was a little too late to go towards the £8 I spent there recently.

150 point survey on y0ugov today so up to £12.50 on there. Childcare cheque has gone out and still have just over £300 to last us for food and petrol the next 17 days. This should be easy especially as I plan to use £100 of the food budget each month towards the holiday budget! Still using up the reduced m*s food
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning,

Been scratching my head and thinking what my 2 used to get up to at that age! junk modelling was a good one this can be done inside or out if it was inside I would cover the table in a couple of bin bags and let them loose with loads of boxes,toilet roll tubes, bottle tops, bits of ribbon, old wrapping paper anything really and a reel of masking tape as you can draw on this, glue sticks and felt tips and off they went made all sorts of random things ( I would keep all this in a big box box in the garage and just kept adding to it). Speaking of big boxes can you get a couple of huge boxes add some sheets and you have hours of fun building dens, add a couple of torches and books etc and you have indoor camping.
    I'm sure I will think of some more.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    our 5yr old has suddenly got into marbles. Though they get him into trouble as hes constantly leaving them on the floor which are too inviting for baby SJ to grab!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    The under the table den was always a big favourite, also drawing tattoos on each other in felt pen! Highbrow activities at our house. But the best fun was had outside, in the garden if I Was too busy to take them out. They also liked chalking on the patio......
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    Our town does a free out door event daily in the summer holidays, It's been going only for decades, pre when I was a child (Joytime) it has singing on the bandstand in the park, and such children's entertainment. It's in the park overlooking our beach. Local artists have built a pirate ship called The Black Pearl on the beach for children's play, it's won tourism awards. They are free :)

There is also the seaside fair further down the promenade , A historical fort/ war time museum, then more costly land mark golf (crazy).. we are about half hour from Chester.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fab news re: the hamper!:T:T

My smalls also like chalking on our drive - we have those huge chunky chalks just for that purpose! They also happily have water fights on really warm days (usually ends in tears but is good fun for an hour first :D) and build dens/ buses etc using a sofa, dining chairs, pouffes, side tables, stools from their rooms, blankets.... - I try and get them to do this in the family room if possible so I don't have to see it! - also it means they get to keep it up for several days that way :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My ds2 loved marbles too, almost as painful to step on as Lego :rotfl:

Our lot used to enjoy many of the suggestions above, cardboard boxes always a winner too.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure