Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick update from me....

Have managed to reduce WIOTW figure by almost £3700 since March! Really pleased to see this as it has been a really tough year financially with a drop in pay and huge increase in nursery costs. Factor into that retraining and starting my Masters I've been feeling pretty frazzled and overpaying the mortgage has been the last thing on my mind (have let my small SO for OP run though - think it's about £16!)
    Next week I should have a clearer idea employment/income wise so hope to make a bit of a plan.

Still toying with idea of moving in a few years (into catchment area) but am enjoying all the work we have had done here and our garden is fantastic now!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good to see you over here.x
  • CathT
    Options
    Ok, so i know a little more about employment for next few months. Basically, I'm not dropping my pay and will be slightly better off financially than we are now. However, this means I didn't get the post I wanted!! :mad:
    Silver linings and all that :D.
    Still don't know exactly what is happening with hours etc but as any extra would be going off 0% cards I can do a good SOA based on that.

Plan for today:
    Take children to various childcare settings before full day in work
    Go for a run after work
    Drink lots of water!
    RSVP to the mounting party invites for DD
    Have a NSD and check DH has done the same! :D
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    Good luck with the NSD.
  • CathT
    Options
    CathT wrote: »

Plan for today:
    [STRIKE]Take children to various childcare settings before full day in work[STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]Go for a run after work[STRIKE]
    Drink lots of water!
    RSVP to the mounting party invites for DD
    Have a NSD and check DH has done the same! :D

Didn't quite manage everything on my list, seriously ran out of time! Worked 9-5, ran 3.5km, got showered and did the food shop. Didn't sit down with coursework until 8:30!

Didn't manage the NSD due to shopping and getting DD a reward she has worked hard to get.

So, today is my last working day of the week and I am ready for the weekend. Hoping weather is dry as need to stain the decking and it's a job that just keeps getting put off. Hope it's easier than the fences as that was a job I'd wish I'd never started!
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    Great progress Cath. I really admire the way you are working to improve life for your family.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Hello,

It is nice to see you again. It would be a shame to move now when you have done so much work on your house. Could it wait until secondary school catchments become important?

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • CathT
    Options
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    Great progress Cath. I really admire the way you are working to improve life for your family.

Thank you Al, I will get there and try and enjoy the journey. I just want my children to look back and think of their childhood as fantastic with lots of memories. DH and I both have parents who divorced and family is so important to us.
    Hello,

It is nice to see you again. It would be a shame to move now when you have done so much work on your house. Could it wait until secondary school catchments become important?

Squirrel x

Hi Squirrel, thanks for popping in. You're right, we have spent a lot of money and want to enjoy the hard work as our house has pretty much hit its ceiling price. Have a 3 year plan really which would make children almost 9 and 6, around 100k equity, no nursery fees, career and band progression and I'll only be 35 which is quite young in house terms I guess. Also will have cleared the 0% cards which funded the home improvements.

The top schools do operate buses from our area, it's just taking that chance that the children would get in. DD is proving to be quite bright and I just want the very best for them.

Be back later with a weekend plan :D
  • CathT
    Options
    Weekend list of jobs

1) Find somewhere to plant lavender bought a while ago!
    2) sort tomato plants and make room for cabbages and leeks
    3) Plant more rocket and lettuce seeds
    4) Paint another coat on some of the fence panels
    5) Rub down and repair kitchen sealing and wall from where boiler leaked.
    6) Stain decking

That's on top of all the ordinary stuff so we shall see!
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    That sound like plenty!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business