American Express Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The tiered rates are definite.  I have both read the terms and conditions - which it must be admitted could be read both ways and spoken to the top people at Amex to confirm.

As for the quickness of applying.  That was because i hadn't had an answer - and this originally came as open invite due to a 'motor show' promotion (don't ask).

The key here is while it has become a regularly offered card, as always when a card is a new one, there are a number of testing phases.

1. Invite only trial
    2. Full market launch
    3. Revision after impact of market launch.

As this has been a soft launch (not too heavy pr) my assumption is it is easily pullable.  Hence why apply quick.  To make it clear - i am not saying it will be pulled - just that unlike a Halifax One or Mint launch - which were heavy PR and therefore likely to be out there with those ts & cs for a while - this is much easier to pull off the market.  So it's best to grab it while it's hot - as there's no problem doing so

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I understand it, with Amex cards you lose cashback accrued on one card if you transfer to another, no?

So if you already have an Amex Blue, as I do (thanks to this site), you should wait to collect your year-one cashback before switching to the Platinum deal.

My anniversary date is August so hopefully the deal will still be around then.
  • dark_star_3
    dark_star_3 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    w_p
    here is the reply from AMEX I received yesterday to that query.
    I have applied with potentialy £100 of cash back to loose if it is eronious...but all things considered, I have gone for it.

Thanx again Martin for providing the voice of reason :)

"Thank you for your enquiry.

You can Apply on-line or you can call our Applications Team on 0191 233 3067 where we can take an application for the Platinum Card over the telephone.

As long as you are approved for the Platinum Card you can transfer the Moneyback accrued to the new account.

If you have any further enquiries or questions about this or any other matter, please call Customer Services.

Thank you for contacting us via e-mail.

Regards,

UK Customer Service"
    email ends.
    dark star
    I'm only here for the banter
  • kbeattie
    kbeattie Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    OK folks, time for me to eat humble pie !!!

Checked all my past statements...here goes !!

Firstly, I was originally assured of the full 2% cashback on the Amex Platinum card when I rang an advisor on getting the card. This I can definitely confirm now is incorrect.

When I said I got £284 cashback, I worked it out based on 2% of my eligible balance.

The eligible balance I looked at was for the end of the 11th month not the 12th month of the year, which was sitting at £14200.

I spent £2036.06 in the 12th month so my eligible balance for the year should be £16236.06.

My cashback was actually £264.72, calculated as follows:

£2000 spend = £10 cashback (0.5%)
    £3000 spend = £30 cashback (1%)
    £11236.06 spend = £224.72 cashback (2%)

Hope this clears things up once and for all and apologies for misleading you all.

It's still a great card though and definitely suited for my use. My eliglible balance so far this year is £9800 and it's only 6 months into the year !!
  • dark_star_3
    Options
    Not a problem kb
    Thanx for coming back and clarifying that :)
  • mrtickle
    mrtickle Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed. At least we have an answer now with no loose ends left. I don't like unsolved mysteries :)
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    Other half applied over the phone early last week for platinum,any ideas how long it will be before we find out if he has been successful?
    Also any idea of what sort of credit limits are given?
  • dark_star_3
    Options
    hi Angela,
    AMEX aren't the quickest, when I emailed them last week, they said they were inundated with inquiries.
    From that I would guess they are getting a lot of interest in the platinum card.
    I think when I applied for my Blue card last year it took a couple of weeks.

I firstly got a letter saying I was unsuccessful in my application, then the card arrived a few days later ???
  • mrtickle
    mrtickle Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My application was on 17th Apr and the rejection arrived on 5th May, so about 2 1/2 weeks :-/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    this is all very weird. i received an application form in the post this w/e for a AMEX PLATINUM CC no mention of cashback only some silly reward points 12,000 to be procise.

can anyone explain ???????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport