American Express Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dark_star_3
    dark_star_3 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    Was this the card?
    http://home3.americanexpress.com/uk/Personal/Cards/benefits/PC_Ben_AmPlatinumInfo.asp?PID=826&BUID=CCG&PSKU=D6X&CRTV=aecrdchrgeplat&AFFID=amexpes2&sourcecode=X49899IE29

If so, this is the platinum charge card...so completely different...if not I haven't got a scooby :)
    I'm only here for the banter
  • dark_star_3
    Options
    Hi this thread seems to evolved from it's original purpose, which was to establish the required spend to break even with a platinum credit card.
    So I have changed the title to make it a general AMEX discussion area.
    hope I haven't confused you too much :)
  • Half_Asleep
    Half_Asleep Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    System Addict - sorry for the age this reply has taken to come - I had expected to be emailed each time somebody replied to this thread, since I ticked the box to request it. Hey-ho.

Anyway. Transferring the credit limit from my gold to my Platinum. (To refresh memories - I'm not using the whole £7400 credit limit on the gold card for my "life of balance 4.9% balance tfr debt", but may well want to spend more each month than the £700 they gave me on my new platinum card to earn max cashback.)

It worked! The phone operator said it was a complete no-no but, as usual with these things, a well worded letter to the centre did the trick. I now have a £4400 limit on my gold, and a £3700 limit on my Platinum. RESULT!

Very good sneaky idea re BT'ing to Cahoot then over to AMEX, System Addict. Turns out to be unnecessary though, but thanks!
  • anniem_5
    Options
    I am a bit confused on the Amex Platinum savings. I had just read the info re cashback and coincidentally received an invitation from Amex in today's post to apply for a Platinum card. In very small print on the form, which had already been prefilled and just needed a signature, it states that there is an annual fee of £275?!

Good job I saw that before I signed the form.

How much would you have to spend before you would be in profit? I checked out the t&c's on Amex's website and it says there is no fee but they reserve the right to charge one.
  • dark_star_3
    Options
    Hi anniem,
    try this link, http://www24.americanexpress.com/pes/uk/choose_card.asp

it explains the difference between the cards.
    The card which has been predominently mentioned on this thread is the platinum credit card, not the charge card
  • Gotabiscuit
    Gotabiscuit Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Might have mis-read it but there was a advert for Amex blue in one of the Sunday papers and they were offering 0% on BTs and purchases for 6 months.
  • dark_star_3
    Options
    My platinum card dropped through the letter box this morning (Nearly a month after my application)
    I have to say, compared to the blue card, It's a grubby looking thing...and no chip and pin facility :-/

but as long as it pays out all that loverly casback, I'm not complaining...thanx again to Martin for the advice
    ;D
  • iBusiness
    iBusiness Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Dark_Star,

thread made sticky as requested

cheers,
    M2
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :o
    WELCOME BACK GAL young man and congrats on new / appropriate position. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Unprintable Scottish term of endearment removed by ghost Mod.

Dark Star, got mine a 2 weeks ago, took 2 wks to arrive, as I had found an old pre-approved offer in my "may come in handy " junk mail pile dated last December!!!.
    [didn't think I would be accepted due to elapsed time, and the fact that this is my 16th open card giving a total combined credit limit of £90k!]

So keep trying folks, dont be put off by a rejection or two, there are many different attitudes to credit checking and is interpretation.
    Usually market or target driven. (IMHO.)

D_S, Thanks for the thread, as it seemed worth a try.
    I had never thought about cashback cards, being Nectared/ blinkered, going for points for a USA flight (just 4k points short).

Like you I was suprised by security or should I say lack of it.
    Didn't expect chip, as US behind us, cos mainly law abiding folk. But the lack of a start date and reverse side additional 3-digit security number has already caused problems in its use electronically. i.e. by phone or on net.

Problems.

UK firms that say they DO accept AMEX have been unable to process billing because their computer systems ask for the non-existent start date or security code on reverse, and there the transaction ends!!!!!

Seems like some arm twisting, with AMEX's pot luck service Indian call centre or worse still having to get a lorra lorra UK firms to alter their shiny new security-conscious software !!!!!

For those reasons Martin I think the offer will stay open longer than you thought. There may be a rush for cards, but the limited useability will not "break the bank"

Regards ? ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :-[ DOH!!!,

Just been on AMEX site and they will be doing chip'n pin.

Also sackcloth'n ashes :-[ :-[ :-[
    There is a security number!

4 digits hidden to my failing eyesight ,
    silverish numbers on FRONT right hand side, near top, (of silver card!)
    Wonder if the fact that number of digits is 4 instead of usual 3, will cause any hassle?. Watch this space.

P.S.
    May be of interest to frequent flyers?
    But you can also register for points with plat card.

1 point per £1 spend, which can be transferred to a lot of other Airline milage points cards, including bmi, virgin etc. HOWEVER membership costs £23.50 a year, so the choice is yours.

HTHs others similarly sightly challenged as myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure