We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Support thread for parents of pupils sitting AQE exam in November

Options
167891012»

Comments

• anne1
    Options
    Rach39 wrote: »
    Any ideas on my situation then?? I live between Lurgan and Aghalee - closest schools Lurgan (Dixon plan totally different system) but I work full time in Lisburn, DS goes to primary school in Lisburn and that's the direction we all set off in the morning!! If I sent him to school in Lurgan he would be going and coming home completely on his own -arriving home to an empty house (ok later on but in first year??). Sooo did AQE and GL tests - DS is v smart and his school expect him to do well in both. Originally was keen on Wallace or Friends but now really fancies Rathmore (into Irish Trad music and more supportive culture there - also not sporty at all!!) I have no idea whether it's the closest Catholic Grammar to our home but no doubt there are equivalents in Lurgan, and any bus pass I get for him would only be needed to bus him there from Lisburn and back to Lisburn (I would drop him at Lisburn bus station in mornings and would meet him to take home - wouldn't be possible time wise to drop and lift from Rathmore and still work full time in Lisburn!!) Do you think he'll be eligible??

As far as I am aware you are still entitled to a free bus pass if you live more than 3 miles from a suitable school. As you live between Lurgan and Aghalee you need to measure the distance from your home to St. Paul's for a boy and St. Mary's for a girl~(these would be the closest schools). If it is over 3 miles you should get a bus pass to your school of choice. If it is under 3 miles you may have to argue suitability. The only Grammar school in Lurgan is St. Michael's and they only take students in year 11. Rathmore is also a Catholic school so you may not be able to argue suitability. I would keep an open mind about the schools in Lisburn. My daughter goes to Friends and the pastoral care and support there is brilliant. I'm hoping my son gets in there in September so fingers crossed.
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    Recent publications from the department of miseducation have suggested otherwise unfortunately and the witch herself has hinted that free transport will only be to the nearest school regardless of which type of school it is:o She then goes on to rule out free transport for any child living less than 3 miles from the school:o

At the end of the day its down to parents and children where they wish to attend school, we still live in a free society of choice surely:o

Did you get free transport to your school as a child Leftie ? or are you like my parents who had to walk 10 miles with no shoes on carrying a lump of coal for the school fire:rotfl:

Sorry just read this.

I was listening to it on the radio one morning so I must have gotten the wrong end of the stick.
    As for the 'choice' issue - no-one is saying there won't be choice, just that it won't be underwritten financially by the government. Westminster has cut the money it passes to NI so DENI has to make cuts somewhere. If they don't cut the buses it may be classroom assistants for SEN pupils that go, or there will be larger classes or fewer subjects for pupils to take or more dilapidated schools....it's not a fun choice to make.

As for my own situation - I got no free transport to school. We walked/cycled or paid for a bus. We also got no free books or free school dinners (or any school dinners - no schools had a canteen). I went to school in the ROI. You guys are spoilt up here!
    Stercus accidit
  • bullpeppar
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    Yep, DS1 came home with a truck full of information a few days ago, I have only had a quick glance at it to confirm the secondary school open days in my area, our hands are all tied until results day anyway:o

I always find the documentation handy for exploring my zero knowledge of the Irish Language:rotfl: I wonder if anyone prefers to read it in Irish as opposed to English ?

Ah well 3 weeks till the S h 1 t hits the fan, good luck everyone:)

Yes, me. Isn't equality a wonderful thing.
  • Rach39
    Rach39 Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    anne1 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware you are still entitled to a free bus pass if you live more than 3 miles from a suitable school. As you live between Lurgan and Aghalee you need to measure the distance from your home to St. Paul's for a boy and St. Mary's for a girl~(these would be the closest schools). If it is over 3 miles you should get a bus pass to your school of choice. If it is under 3 miles you may have to argue suitability. The only Grammar school in Lurgan is St. Michael's and they only take students in year 11. Rathmore is also a Catholic school so you may not be able to argue suitability. I would keep an open mind about the schools in Lisburn. My daughter goes to Friends and the pastoral care and support there is brilliant. I'm hoping my son gets in there in September so fingers crossed.
    Thanks very much - very informative and helpful. I take it then that a bus pass is issued on the suitability of the child (ie how far away their nearest suitable school is) rather than the distance to the school they wish to go to is??(if you see wot I mean!!) Makes sense, thanks. By the way - I meant Rathmore was more supportive of the traditional music culture rather than more supportive generally!! I know Friends is really welcoming and supportive and will be next on the list!!
    Life's a box of beads - rainbow coloured and full of surprises!:D
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bullpeppar wrote: »
    Yes, me. Isn't equality a wonderful thing.

Indeed it is :T:T and I am 100% behind it, I was simply curious and you have answered my question, for that you have received a Thanks :)
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • weemocky
    Options
    hi guys, have been reading through all the previous posts as my daughter is doing the first transfer in about 9 weeks time. we are still no clearer on the whole situation and how it works. i have a couple of questions that some of you may be able to answer.

* what is the age adjusting and how does it work?
    * is there a limit to the amount of schools you can put on your list when applying?

a parent who went through it all last year, said that if you want to put 20 schools down, then you can. now this was unclear to me. did she mean i can put as many grammar schools down? or can i only apply for 3 grammar, and as many high schools as we want? i have been searching through as much info as i could find, and have all the school results and grades accepted etc. and last years transfer results should be revealed shortly in the belfast telegraph, as it has in previous years!!! i am at a school meeting about the test next week. but after reading all the comments, i have a funny feeling that i want be any wiser :)
  • dee1000
    dee1000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi weemocky

Just to let you know there is a recent support thread on page 2 of the n ireland fourm. its called Support thread for parents sitting the transfer test in 2011. It is quite active and helpful.
    My daughter is sitting it also but i do not yet know much about age standardisation or how many schools you can list.

Maybe someone on that thread will help.

Dee
  • cashcrisis
    Options
    You can only list 3 schools (or maybe 4 I can't remember) but definitely not 20!! I think they like to have a high school on there too just in case. The age standardisation works so that it's fairer on the younger kids in the year. There is nearly 1 year age gap between kids born in June 2001 and July 2000 but they are in the same school year sitting the same tests, so all children are scored against their own age - it's not really clear if they give an extra few points the younger they are, or if they compare marks with the other children of the same age and mark them against each other. Either way it's only a few points.
  • tessybear
    Options
    Sorry but your wrong, there is only space for around four schools on the green transfer form but you can put down as many schools as you like. You can attach a list of other schools to the form in rank order but you need to make sure you do have at least one high school some people wrongly assume that by putting down one or two schools only that the school will have to accept them. Not true the education board will come back to you for a list of more schools.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport