That was scary; now to tackle the remaining mortgage

Options

Comments

• Emsky123
    Emsky123 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Teapot2

Im also with Halifax and on average have to wait over a week everytime i request my OP balance, Its verys frustrating when you really want to know - They just dont seem to share our enthusiasm:rotfl:

You are doing so well, good luck in your MF Journey
    Ems
    Balance as at Dec 2010 £88,000
    Balance as at Oct 2013 £0
    Original MF date 01.05.2027 :mad:
    Morgage free as of 24/10/2013 (13.5 years early) :j
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 September 2011 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Thanks Emsky, really, really want to get below £40000 and currently on £40600ish. They seem to take nearly three weeks to write with the balance when I've asked! Anyone would think they didn't want us to overpay :rotfl:

OH was laughing at me because I contacted them again after we paid up to the 10% OP limit last time but now he's asking every day if the letters come ;).

ETA You're not doing so badly yourself on the OPs - well done
  • teapot2
    Options
    The letter from the Halifax came yesterday :j we can overpay up to just over £850 so thats good [not that we have £850 going spare]

Will count up the change banks etc today and see what else I can put together and pay that in if I don't get blown away when I venture out!

Also got a book to post that I sold on Amazon. I couldn't find it and spent about an hour looking. According to the email I'd put it on shelf 6 except I don't have a shelf 6 :eek:. Looked on all the shelves and dug around at the back of them and eventually found it, of course it was on the last shelf I searched :o
  • teapot2
    Options
    Counted all the change etc plus the £10 I found in the road and the bits I'd been saving up to overpay and managed £160 today. Hopefully more to come later in the month.
  • teapot2
    Options
    Updated Google docs for the MFi3 challenge - we are on £40400ish [can't remember exactly] so going to try and get below £40000 by the end of the month.

Cut Mr Teapot's hair with the clippers today, he never goes to the barbers these days so that saved a wee bit. Got some stewing steak defrosting to make a stew for him for the next couple of days.

Had some more sales on Amazon, I think this is the best month for a while, have probably jinxed it now by mentioning that :o. Having a NSD apart from a chippy tea tonight - thats our treat for the week.
  • teapot2
    Options
    Another NSD today :j. Also sold another book on Amazon, only a 1p one but will still be something in it as its a children's book and v thin.

Made a big stew casserole with lots of veg for OH - got reduced stew from co-op which has been in the freezer. Also big pot of soup made ready to be blitzed. Need to decide what to put in packed lunch tomorrow - prob egg mayo. Don't eat meat so sometimes run out of yummy sarnie ideas. Also seem to be a messy eater and often end up wearing my lunch so it needs to be something that 'holds together' fairly well [unlike me] :rotfl:.

Been in the garden and battened down the hatches in anticipation of gales tomorrow. Recycling box has sandbag on top of it, plastic chairs in the shed, pot of beans attached to fence with a bunjy [sp?]. No doubt things will still go flying if its bad but most of it should hopefully stay put. Bird table was laid down already cos we had v strong winds last week. Hope the roof tiles will be ok - don't like it when the wind is as strong as is forecast :p

Have a safe week everyone, Teapot x
  • teapot2
    edited 14 September 2011 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Think I've heard it all now :p:(

Went to HBOS branch to make an overpayment yesterday - they have been doing an upgrade on their online banking and systems generally. I knew there were probs with the online banking as when I logged on our mortgage had gone down by £2500ish overnight without us paying anything [if only]. However thought I'd better ring in case they'd made a c@ckup and we got an ERC. Apparently it was 'just' a glitch. Overpayment in branch went in ok so I then handed over a couple of cheques to be paid into joint account - computer says 'NO'!

The explanation eventually given was that they couldn't accept the cheques under the new system because my sort code started with 11 :mad: :p. All our current account sort codes start with '11' from when we lived in London, they were Halifax accounts and apparently thats the problem. The manager was called and said we should change to BOS accounts and they had lots of new products too to tell us about. I said no ta and that I'd wait for them to sort it out. What a mess, they are supposed to ring me when its going to be possible to pay cheques in but am not holding my breath.

Off to post a cheque to my business account - just got paid for some work I did last month :j
    ETA - bank phoned when I was wrestling the washing off the line in the wind! Apparently its sorted and we can pay those cheques in now. Mortgage details are also back on online banking so that must be sorted too
  • teapot2
    Options
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:beer::beer::j:j:j:j:j
    Mucho celebrating at Teapot Towers - finally got below £40k on the mortgage and we are now on £39940 so onwards and downwards. Feels great to have got rid of another £10k though the last bit seemed painfully slow. Definitely spurred us on to continue as we'd got a bit lax lately with keeping an eye on the cash. From reading other folks diaries though this seems to be in the air so maybe its to do with the time of year or something........? Woohoo, Teapot x
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That's AMAZING!!!! :beer:
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2024 #50: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £223.84/£671.61
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on another 10k gone. I am just over £60k might get under it over next two months hopefully.
    Defintiely seems to slow down towards the end of the year towards xmas.
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills