We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Should the clocks go back?' Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• rickbonar
    Options
    geoffW wrote: »
    Why would anyone want it to be dark at 3.30 pm ??

How do you figure that it will be dark at 3.30pm if we stay on GMT?
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rickbonar wrote: »
    How do you figure that it will be dark at 3.30pm if we stay on GMT?
    Because it is often dark about that time in December in the midlands,especially on rainy days. Sunset 11-14th Dec 2010 15:53 GMT or 16:53 British Standard Time.
  • rickbonar
    Options
    Yes it's dark on rainy days - even in the summer!

But staying on GMT won't make any difference to what's happening in December with the present system will it?

Sunset in the midlands is sunset whether that's 4:00gmt or 5:00bst or I don't know what it is in the land of the midnight sun?

As someone else here correctly pointed out; the number of daylight hours are not controlled by clocks.
  • relaxtwotribes
    Options
    For those sensible members on here, Rebecca Harris MP is having the second reading of her Daylight Saving Bill read on 3 December. Please email your own MP and urge him/her to stay in Westminster to vote in support. She needs 102 votes for the Bill to continue.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Because it is often dark about that time in December in the midlands,especially on rainy days. Sunset 11-14th Dec 2010 15:53 GMT or 16:53 British Standard Time.

!!!!!! is British Standard Time?

GMT is the Standard Time and in the
    summer months British Summer Time is in use. ...
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 November 2010 at 5:05PM
    Options
    British Standard Time was the name they used the last time British Summer Time was kept on all the year. And most successful it was.

Incidentally I have kept my watch and clocks on BST for the last two years, I love the extra hour of light in the afternoons in the winter.
    I don't know if they still do it,but a local stately home stayed on BST all the year round,they said it brought in more tourists. Also some businesses stayed on BST,it's been proved it saves energy.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    British Standard Time was the name they used the last time British Summer Time was kept on all the year. And most successful it was.
    That's a matter of opinion. I thought it was a disaster. The mornings were horrible.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • wobblegobble
    Options
    The bill passed it's second reading today so hopefully full steam ahead now.

Glad to see that common sense seems to have prevailed......
  • relaxtwotribes
    Options
    Whoopee!!

rtt
  • lotstolearn
    Options
    Really, really bad news. After experiencing it the last time this just fills me with dread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport