We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Should the clocks go back?' Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• simplesums
    Options
    We should be trying to encourage the Government to keep Britain British. The world's time zones revolve around the time at Greenwich (London). Why can we not leave well alone? What difference does it make where that extra hour of daylight is? It has been the for hundreds of years. If we ignore Greenwich Mean Time, then we will only add fuel to the fire which wants the base time line to be moved to a line passing through Mecca. (I refer to an article in the Daily Telegraph recently). Leave GMT and British Summer Time alone or let the whole world time system be moved back by somewhere in the region of 3 hours. Besides which, leaving Summer Time in place won't make any difference in the Far North of Scotland such as Shetland. The winter days are long and dark already. Why should those folk have to suffer the wrath of a Government who's prime minister will probably never experience such a winters day?
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2010 at 11:24AM
    Options
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    Why would Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Latvia & Lithuania want to change their time zone by 2 hours?

Well all the more reason why Europe should remain a holiday destination and nothing more than that and a affiliated trading partner.

Most of these countries are massive net gainers from the EU so if the EU told them dance their heads they would just to stay in. For us in the UK all Europe appears to offer is cheap labourers but with a sting in the tail.
  • stevemoore_2
    Options
    If anybody thinks this is anything but the government trying to be more "european" you are being very naive!
  • cavie78
    cavie78 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I'd vote for the clocks never going forward, there's no reason for it, we should stay on GMT all year round end of.
  • JohnAnt
    JohnAnt Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    BST all year round! Or even BST and double summertime in the summer. Go for it.
    Scotland is an independent nation (as it constantly reminds us). It can have its own time zone(s). We won't mind.
    "My DD will be walking to school every day, right now it's OK as she only has to walk a couple of hundred yards. when she goes to High School next year it will be nearly 2 miles each way. I'd prefer her not to have to walk that in the dark."
    If it's such a big prob, why not start the Scottish schools an hour later?
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sarnian wrote: »
    Don't let this be yet another thing that Brussels etc brow beat the nation in to taking away from British history & tradition ...

Oh don't be silly! This has nothing to do with Brussels, the EU or being more european. It's simply about having an extra hour of light in the evenings

Nothing will change if we kept BST. GMT would still exist, the world wouldn't suddenly change their times to match ours nor would we decide to use mecca as the global meridian :rotfl:. I have to wonder if people are attempting to see how gullible we all are by making the most absurd statements and seeing who falls for it!
    simplesums wrote: »
    What difference does it make where that extra hour of daylight is? It has been the for hundreds of years.

BST only started in 1916, so it's not even 100 yet
    I think we've established what difference it makes but for those who can't be bothered to read the whole thread, an extra hour of light in the evening would be benificial to most people. You would be able to do things in the evening that you wouldn't usually do in the winter because the darkness makes it unappealing. People would be more inclined to go out rather than stay bundled up inside

It's true, we'd lose an hour of daylight in the morning but that hour is "wasted" because you're usually in work/school when it happens so you don't benefit from it, unless of course you work outside where there are no lights.

A lot of people mention "children walking to school", sadly very few kids walk to school these days so it'd only effect a small minority. Also Kids walk go to school in the dark anyway, at least in december and they often come home in the dark. At least with this change they'd be coming home in the light.
  • denisiw
    denisiw Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like BST in the winter and double BST in the summer. I'd much prefer to drive to work in the morning, in the dark, when I'm refreshed after a good nights' sleep, than drive home in the dark when my eyes are tired.

I'd rather have the light in the evening; what's the point of wasting the summer mornings in bed when the sun rise's at 4.30am? There would so many more opportunities to do things in the evening. It would be better for children too, in the winter they'd have more chance to play outside after school with lighter evenings.

Denis
  • thegrifter
    Options
    Sarnian wrote: »
    Don't let this be yet another thing that Brussels etc brow beat the nation in to taking away from British history & tradition .... Lbs & ounces, 1/2 dozen eggs to name just two recent examples under discussion.

Well really....what an incredibly stupid statement....What's it go to do with Brussels? and another thing......When's the last time you didn't manage to buy 1/2 doz eggs? I hadn't heard about them being converted to metric!!!
    :rotfl:
  • beerleo
    Options
    So where are the full poll results please anyone???
  • IDProtected
    Options
    We should change them back to "real" time (GMT) and leave them there.
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport