'Should the clocks go back?' Poll discussion

edited 17 August 2010 at 4:37PM in Money Saving Polls
145 replies 21.7K views
Former_MSE_LawrenceFormer_MSE_Lawrence Former MSE
975 Posts
edited 17 August 2010 at 4:37PM in Money Saving Polls
Poll Started 17 August 2010:

Should we stop the clocks going back?

The PM’s said the govt will consideer keeping British Summer Time all year round. This’d mean darker winter mornings but more daylight in the evenings. As there's often talk about the impact on Scotland we’ve split it out.

Which of these is closest to your view?

A. Don't put the clocks back. I'd rather an extra hour in the afternoon.
B. Put the clocks back. I prefer morning light.
C. I don’t care.
D. I LIVE IN SCOTLAND Don't put them back. I'd rather an extra hour in the afternoon.
E. I LIVE IN SCOTLAND Put them back. I prefer morning light.
F. I LIVE IN SCOTLAND I don’t care.

Please vote here, or click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• mcjordimcjordi Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Not particularly fussed to be honest it doesnt make much difference to me either way :D
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Voted for 'Don't put them back'. Lighter evenings are a definite help to me.
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    664 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Personally I'd prefer GMT all year round. Dont see point or need to change them at all and we are after all on Greenwich meridian.
  • Actually I don't care, winter time or summer time. But I'd like it to stay the same time, so that the days gradually lengthened or shrunk, rather than the abrupt shift.
  • edited 17 August 2010 at 5:00PM
    rickbonarrickbonar
    448 Posts
    edited 17 August 2010 at 5:00PM
    I think they should keep the one time of GMT not BST.

So I think it's the winter time one I believe.

So it's GMT for me........ farmers will just have to do their own BFT so they can get up earlier if they want to on their own time plan. Have it in tandem with GMT

The animals don't mind honestly ....

....... mind you I suppose we've got to fit in with Europe and as far I know they appear to follow our alternating BST and GMT + 1 hour

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • I believe it would be better for British business, travel etc if we were in the same time zone as the rest of our major trading partners in Europe. We can never get anywhere near the states so it would be better to be the same as one of them.

The best way we could do this is to trial it for one year, it does not stop us reverting back to changing the clocks back if we really want to.
  • I'm fairly certain Australia has a hour shift, and I know America does (aside from 1 state I think) Why is it such a problem, it comes up year after year.

For me - or more for the children having to walk to school (Some still do!) it would make it extremely dangerous where we live - cars have a tendancy to make up the rules on the road driving as they please speed and sense wise, they forget what pedestrian crossings and islands are for.

Sort more important things out than messing with things that aren't broken. :D
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    During the last war the clocks were not put back in the autumn one year but put on one hour the next spring.

Resulting in Double British Summertime. It was light up to about 11.30pm at the height of summer.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • I'm fairly certain Australia has a hour shift, and I know America does (aside from 1 state I think) Why is it such a problem, it comes up year after year.

For me - or more for the children having to walk to school (Some still do!) it would make it extremely dangerous where we live - cars have a tendancy to make up the rules on the road driving as they please speed and sense wise, they forget what pedestrian crossings and islands are for.

Sort more important things out than messing with things that aren't broken. :D

Yes Australia does put the clocks forward and back and on the same dates as the UK ...........BUT when we go forward an hour they go back and when we go back they go forward......... confused yes because in summer they can be 9 hours ahead and winter 11 ahead.

To confuse things further large countries/continents like Australia have different times zones within their region and Australia has 3 different time zones.
  • rosalie-lavenderrosalie-lavender Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I would put them back and then stick to that time all year without putting them forward again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals