IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Wheel clamping to be banned on private land

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There was even that case of a clamping company suing somebody for "loss of earning". This was because that person had put up a sign in his Indian take-way warning people not to park on an adjacent piece of land, otherwise they would be clamped. So a clear admission that the whole things a money-making exercise and nothing to do with stopping unauthorised parking.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Shop has s ign up saying "Car park is locked at 5.00pm".

Muppet parks there and is locked in.

Can the said muppet ring the police and claim they've been clamped/immobilised??

I think we're going to end up where it's illegal to clamp and demand money for release, but not illegal to lock up your premises [which has the side effect of trapping a car for several hours].

So as well as a surge in signs saying "Cars are being badly parked here all the time and you may end up blocked in 'accidentally' by an old banger [that I keep handy for that very purpose] and have to wait 2 hrs for the driver to move it", we'll also see a surge in "Car park liable to be closed and locked at very short notice [as my nan is poorly and I might have to rush home to let her cat out] and you'll probably have to wait 2 hrs to get out" signs.

So the main issue people have with clamping [excessive charges/extortion] is gone, but parking muppets can still be delayed/inconvenienced.........so that's alright then. Great..... glad we've sorted that all out. Our job here is done.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yet another story about those wonderful clampers:-

Clamped In My Own Bay
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    We've now got to the "going round in circles" time. Time to pack up until more official info emerges.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    I'd rather my car was locked in a car park overnight and I could retrieve it in the morning, rather than having to fork out my money to a knuckle dragging habitually lying Neanderthal.
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    There was even that case of a clamping company suing somebody for "loss of earning". This was because that person had put up a sign in his Indian take-way warning people not to park on an adjacent piece of land, otherwise they would be clamped. So a clear admission that the whole things a money-making exercise and nothing to do with stopping unauthorised parking.

The bench gave it very short shrift indeed.
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lucylucky wrote: »
    "Of course it is, it's penalising the responsible for the indiscretions of the irresponsible."

Responsible what?
    Clampers?

You jest surely

No, the landowners, I've been quite clear and consistent throughout this thread that the situation regarding clamping companies needs sorting out, you'd be an idiot not to realise there is a huge problem.

The people who lose out are primarily going to be small businesses who don't have the space nor the financial means to implement other solutions to their parking problems, these are supposedly the very people this government is meant to be helping.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • bigturnip
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Yet another story about those wonderful clampers:-

Clamped In My Own Bay

"The other cars in Crawley, West Sussex, were unclamped five hours later when the parking firm realised their error.

A spokesman for Aspire said: "The officer there can not just release vehicles. There is a procedure." But Moat apologised and promised full refunds."
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    The big losers will be the clampers. Many enjoy significant six figure revenue, mostly in cash.
  • bigturnip
    Options
    Coblcris wrote: »
    The big losers will be the clampers. Many enjoy significant six figure revenue, mostly in cash.

Yep, they will be the big losers if clamping is banned, but the big losers, if no new legislation is forthcoming or ill thought out legislation is passed, will be small businesses who will have to consign there car parks to history.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure