IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Wheel clamping to be banned on private land

Options

Comments

• trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    to mis Quote a Paula Cole song :

"Where have all the Cowboy Clampers gone ??? "

well they are certainly not on here on anymore , cause i cannot hear a thing .

Seriously though , how come this Government can so something about this so quick and effective , to a almost universal chorus of approval , yet New Labour managed to do.....NOTHING in 13 years .

Milliband Bros please answer me that one .

it's not like they didn't know what would would happen , as Scottish society is not it's knees without these crooks.

Well done present government for actually listening to the people you represent :T:T:T:T
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    There is a lot of guff on this thread about how bad the clampers are etc.

But not one mention about those people who are breaking the rules and parking on other peoples land without permission. Except for my own attempts.

Surely if you did not park on private land in the first place, you would never come across a clamper?

If this was any other debate, ignorance is never an acceptable form of defence.
  • liam8282
    Options
    Nothing to stop those with private land installing a barrier system.

I already mentioned this, if you have a car park for your business, how exactly can you install a barrier system to stop those who do not have permission to park?

You can put a 6ft by 6ft sign on the only entrance to the car park, clearly saying staff and customers only, but people will still ignore this and park on the private land, now without fear of any punishment what so ever.
  • liam8282
    Options
    liam8282 you seem a bit aerated about this fantastic news. You should not take these things so personally. The names I have called clampers are welldeserved and mild compared to their true worth.

Did you mean iirate, that would make a bit more sense?

Cowboy clampers. That's a bit like saying Roman Catholic Pope. You can't have one without the other. The gross excesses of this bunch of thugs, many bordering on the criminal, are well documented all over the interweb. That is why they are now suddenly facing having to get a real job for the first time in their parasitic lives.

Now that is an iirate statement if ever I heard one, especially coming from the ripped off driver.

There will be millions of people up and down the country who agee with this long overdue and unavoidable decision. The world will not collapse when these scammers have departed the scene, as is clear from the Scottish experience.

& many who don't. Just because Scotland don't have clampers is that the be all and end all? Different countries do have different laws, if you like other countries laws so much, why not live in that country and abide by those laws?

As for MSE Martin's advice it was well intentioned but experience has shown that that by far the better course is just to ignore. Thousands who have sought advice on here will tell you as much.

Ok, so what is your advice, go park wherever you want because nobody can do anything about it?

I just don't get this at all.

So everyone who disagrees with what I am saying is happy to see those people who own the private land suffer?
  • Paranoid
    Paranoid Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe, just maybe, people should look at why they are parking on others peoples land without permission.

Yes that is a really outrageous idea isn't it?![/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right with this simplistic observation. But just remember the huge number of instances of folk being towed or clamped when it seemed OK to park, like where a sign says "for customers", to give but one example!

Been there.

Now youv'e got me bickering....!
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2010 at 2:26PM
    Options
    liam8282 wrote: »

But not one mention about those people who are breaking the rules and parking on other peoples land without permission. Except for my own attempts.

Surely if you did not park on private land in the first place, you would never come across a clamper?

well how many people never set out to park on private land and did so unawares only to be charged £100's of pounds . The punishment must fit the crime . Ignorance may not be a defence , but it should not be a green light for companies to demand £100's off people either .

maybe we should start locking up people who speed 5mph over the speed limit as well .according to your argument if you never speeded you would never risk being locked up , so why should you worry if you did nothing wrong.

life isn't like that is it !!!
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2010 at 2:23PM
    Options
    liam8282 we all disagree with what you are saying; we always have on this board.

You are not going to win any friends with your aerated (not 'iirate' - what's with the double i, you seem to be getting quite aerated!) attempts to put forward an argument that has been answered before endless times and simply is not an issue if landowners simply use a barrier (or even a simple chain).

THE BAN ON CLAMPING AND TOWING, AND THE UNENFORCEABILITY OF PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS ARE BRILLIANT NEWS!! THE END FOR A SCAM INDUSTRY!!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Options
    I already mentioned this, if you have a car park for your business, how exactly can you install a barrier system to stop those who do not have permission to park?

You can put a 6ft by 6ft sign on the only entrance to the car park, clearly saying staff and customers only, but people will still ignore this and park on the private land, now without fear of any punishment what so ever.

Plenty of companies manage it.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Options

The only guff in this thread is coming from you.

You have not been in this forum long. I have. All of the regulars here do not condone abusing private land and any restrictions the landlords have. People who have come here and boasted of it have received short shrift in this forum from the regulars.

It is the remedy that people here object to. Clamping cowboy companies that rob people and PPC scammers.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • liam8282
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    liam8282 we all disagree with what you are saying; we always have on this board.

You are not going to win any friends with your aerated (not 'iirate' - what's with the double i, you seem to be getting quite aerated!) attempts to put forward an argument that has been answered before endless times and simply is not an issue if landowners simply use a barrier (or even a simple chain).

THE BAN ON CLAMPING AND TOWING, AND THE UNENFORCEABILITY OF PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS ARE BRILLIANT NEWS!! THE END FOR A SCAM INDUSTRY!!

:( Oh no, I will not win any friends on this board. What a shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure