Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• rayhool
    rayhool Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bergkamp10, Have you got HD? If so was there any discount on the HD subscription?
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    bergkamp10 wrote: »
    Yeah. Lost access on March 13th. Was offered 15% off when I called to cancel. Then got a call a few days later offering me 35% off as if it would be the best thing they can offer. This also showed on mysky account until I got disconnected when it changed to a 50% off offer. Proceeded to call sky and tried blagging a 75% off but was told it doesn't exist but that they can do 50%. Called back again and was told there is a 50% off but only for 6 months and being locked into a 12 month contract so I rejected it. Called back again and some guy said 75% doesn't exist but that he could offer me 50%. I rejected it saying find out why Im hearing people are still receiving it. He then said its not a valid offer and that he would look into it but because I'd already had it, I wouldnt be offered it regardless as I'd already had it (yeah right). Then he told me he could offer me 60% off. I rejected it saying it's still too much. He tried showing me what a great deal it was but I told him I'd rather wait for the 75%. then he tried offering me 60% with a £50 credit. Said it was still too much and that I appreciated the offer. He's still trying to convince me how silly I am to reject this and that if I do he and anyone else I speak to would be unable to offer something like this again. Told him it was fine. He said ok but just before I hung up he said "what if I made it £100 credit?" I thought about it but rejected it again. He finally let me go. Later on did some calculations and realised over the course of the contract I'd only pay £31 more with this deal so should have taken it but figured my chance was gone.

Next day had calls from two different sky numbers. One was an automated message that I can't even contact and the other I recognised. Called back the number from the day before and explained the missed calls and was told the person will call me back. Turns out it's the same blome from yesterday explaining to me that the he spoke to head offices and insisted that the 76% doesn't exist. After a bit of a chat he said what if I offered you 50%. I rejected it out of hand. He then offered 60%. I told him only if he could also include the £100. He said that offer was gone blah blah blah. Then I told him I wasn't going to accept the offer then. He then said one second, then came back saying he spoke to his supervisor saying that he could authorise £59 but not £100 as that was yesterday and that if I didn't accept now then there would be a note on my account showing all the offers that I'm rejecting and I probably won't get any offers. I said that's fine by me so rejected it.

Less than 30 mins later I got a call from that other sky number with the automated recorded message and a kind lady asked me why I'd left sky. I explained the situation and what I'd been offered by others and she said 75% doesn't exist but that she has some pretty exiting offers to share with me. Turns out she was talking about the 60% off deal so I explained that is also previously been offered £100 credit as well. Without hesitation or even trying to figure out if I was telling the truth or not (which by the way I was) she put it all through but for 10 months. Then I said to her that my offer was for 12 months before and that if like that. She said one second then put it all through. Took all of 7 mins speaking to her.

So yeah I guess 75% off days might be over for the near future but if you're patient enough just wait for the 60% off and £100 credit which will surely come sooner or later.

Wow that was a long read. Sorry guys.

Tl;dr : Kept getting paltry offers until sky actually got cut off. The after the first 50% off flyer kept calling back trying to get 75% off and was eventually offered 69% with £100 credit.

Wow. You really have some persistence there rejecting good offers and getting an even better one! Personally I can live without sky as I have other means of watching my favourite shows ;) But its the family I have to convince. They record mostly off BBC anyway, and we can get iplayer on the ipad or chromecast fairly easily. Its them I have to convince and be without Sky for a couple of months :)

I have my Sky BB out of contract with them too, so will just have to leave that as is, and hope sky bother me as much as they bothered you :) I have my TV 50% offer to run another two months. After that just got to convince the family to let go of sky for a couple of months and wait for the sky calls :)

Problem is I dont tend to pick up most 'withheld' numbers on my phone. Do Retentions call you witheld or have they a number I can recognise?
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm with you shaggy, mine went off early December. The calls have stopped but still getting the letters, latest is the 33% off until 2020.

It actually feels liberating to not be paying sky any money. I'm about to sign up for BT Broadband and TV when my up front line rental ends for Plusnet, you get a few extra channels and of course the free sport.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with you shaggy, mine went off early December. The calls have stopped but still getting the letters, latest is the 33% off until 2020.

It actually feels liberating to not be paying sky any money. I'm about to sign up for BT Broadband and TV when my up front line rental ends for Plusnet, you get a few extra channels and of course the free sport.

yes I got the same 33% off valid for 5 years deal.

Personally I don't think its good enough and want AT LEAST 50% off all channels plus a new box plus discount on Broadband and line rental.

If not, then happy to leave sky. I'd love to go with BT Broadband with their offers but sadly can't get Fibre yet :(
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    yes I got the same 33% off valid for 5 years deal.

Personally I don't think its good enough and want AT LEAST 50% off all channels plus a new box plus discount on Broadband and line rental.

If not, then happy to leave sky. I'd love to go with BT Broadband with their offers but sadly can't get Fibre yet :(

I feel your pain, barely got 4mb from normal broadband, but when a nice green fibre cab appeared over the road get the full 72mb now. Work pay for it too which is even better :D
  • Jikkie
    Jikkie Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gave very early notice yesterday. had a call today offering same package at £2pm more than i currently pay, plus £50 credit. but it was for 10 months from today. so i declined as i felt i would be losing out on my remaining time on the current offer, as well as not really liking the 10mth instead of 12. hope i dont regret it.
  • k1dda
    k1dda Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if virgin media call more than once? I gave 30 days notice this week and they called a day later with a decent deal but as it's 30 days I thought best to hold out to see if another offer comes in
  • Innys1
    Innys1 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    Options
    bergkamp10 wrote: »
    Been on a 75% off for 12 months deal up until mid February and prior to that two 50% off for 12 months before that. Was holding out on another 75% off but ended up taking up a 60% off for 12 months with £100 credit meaning I will effectively have 4 months free as my monthly bill for the family pack with sports and movies is £26.40.

Not the 75% off but effectively only £31 more for the 12 months than I was paying before. Plus as the credit is front loaded I end up with 4 months free whilst being able to leave at any time. If I wanted to I could leave as soon as the credit runs out.

So pretty pleased despite rejecting the same offer 3 times previously over the last few days trying to hold out.

What you got is what I wanted from LiveChat this eve. I wanted a rolling contract with 60% and £100 credit. I received an e-mail today from them offering the 60% and £100 but on a 12 month deal.

Plus, as part of the package, I wanted to negotiate BB, not as an afterthought.

They only offered 50% on a rolling contract and wouldn't include BB in the negotiation, even though I asked at least three times.

In the end, I gave up and will simply switch to Talk Talk in May when my EE contract runs out. Sky TV isn't really that important to me, BB is crucial and they don't seem to get that - or perhaps, don't want to get that. Their loss.
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been ignoring the 50% off emails I've been receiving since I cancelled Sky, but today they sent me an email 60% off monthly subscription for the year plus £100 credit. So original pack works out at £8.60 pcm (8.60 x 12 = 103.20) so a year for £3.20 RESULT

Happy to do that and get a year of sky+ which I miss on my bedroom TV (I bought a Freeview PVR for the main room) I've put a reminder in my calendar to cancel my contract 30 days before the end of the deal.:T
  • milgo
    milgo Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been ignoring the 50% off emails I've been receiving since I cancelled Sky, but today they sent me an email 60% off monthly subscription for the year plus £100 credit. So original pack works out at £8.60 pcm (8.60 x 12 = 103.20) so a year for £3.20 RESULT

Happy to do that and get a year of sky+ which I miss on my bedroom TV (I bought a Freeview PVR for the main room) I've put a reminder in my calendar to cancel my contract 30 days before the end of the deal.:T

Can I ask how long it was after you cancelled that you received the 60% off + £100 offer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure