Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    mainvein wrote: »
    yeah, i think i will just leave them and see what they come back with. im personally not fussed who provides my services, but i do actually quite like virgin and the internet is top notch but i just cannot stand their customer services.

all im really after is decent unlimited broadband
    This is what we are doing. I have spoken to VM CS and they couldn't do anything for me, which is fair enough, so I voted with my feet (so to speak) and have taken my custom to Sky. If you negotiate a little with them you can get the advertised half price TV (6 months), half price phone and broadband (6 months) and free line rental for 12 months. I reckon I will save over £350 over the year and if cashback pays thats an extra £100 as well. I honestly can't see VM's outbound calls retention people even getting anywhere close TBH (that's if they try to contact me). The only downside was taht I have had to change my phone number, but even that has benefits as I will only tell the people I want to what it has changed to :rotfl:
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't even know you could haggle as a new customer. Also, how can you haggle down prices and still get online cashback?
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I didn't even know you could haggle as a new customer. Also, how can you haggle down prices and still get online cashback?

Whilst it has tracked it has yet to be paid, but as the kit isn't installed until next month that isnt surprising!

Firstly follow the link from TCB or Quidco. When you get to the landing page at Sky either wait a minute for a live chat box to appear or select the live chat from the options on the right (something like - contact us). Once you get in contact with your live chat support ask them what they can offer a new customer coming over from VM. Once they appear to have offered everything, mention that you thought they would be cheaper than that or something along those lines and they usually come back with an offer of 12 months line rental if you sign up now(I did this 3 separate times and got the offer each time before finally signing up). If you are happy with your deal go through the link they supply, sign up and all's done. Completed entirely on-line via your cashback link. For me it tracked immediately.
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I have previously worked for both sky & virgin - I do not offer tips on how to get discounts, however I will point things out.

With sky, if you are looking to leave you may get an offer, but you might not. It depends on your history with the company and how you go about leaving. The mythical 50% is offered after cancellation, however, it is very, very rare nowadays. Remember that all staff in that department have access to previous calls.

If you look to leave virgin there priority is to get you into a new 18 month contract. You will be offered a low value deal which you will be talked into taking and signed up.

New customer offers are for new customers. People get frustrated when they see the new customer deals - remember you got a new customer deal when you signed up. Values do tent to be similar no matter the offer you got.

The way to save the most money is to have all l your services with the one company. If you can, pay your line rental up-front with sky and you will save.

When you call up and claim that you wish to go to a new provider - do your homework. Both virgin and sky use systems that check what is availible in your area, the total costs and the offers you would be entitled to. If you phone up claiming another provider can offer cheaper deals, and they don't the operator can see instantly.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also with SKY you are a 'new' customer after 3 months so if you can live without the service for that period of time you can then sign up again with the new customer offers, etc.
  • Jimbo333_2
    Jimbo333_2 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Just after a bit of advice.

We have had Virgin for about 6 years at our home. £22ish p/m, for internet only (never use a landline telephone, and not interested in hundreds of TV channels).

Think they give us 10meg. Fantastic connection, never goes down (unlike my wireless router). Not a bad deal, but could be better.

So, moving house imminently.

What's the best plan to get a good deal at the new house?

Cancel now, and then look at fresh Virgin (or other?) deals when we move?

Or switch the account over to the new address, getting sucked into an 18 month contract again, and reducing bargaining power?

We will probably want Virgin TV in the new house (no aerial there!).

Thanks!:j
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Just thought I would post our recent experience with Virgins 'new customers only ' Deals.

We have had a Virgin Media package for 5 years. My husband called them a couple of weeks ago to ask about a Tivo box. He was told that we had to pay the fee for installing it and the fee for the box. When he asked why he should stay as new customers get better deals, he was told in no uncertain terms that he should leave and go elsewhere.

Because of the rudeness of the person on the phone DH wrote to the CEO asking why in this climate are they treating loyal customers so badly and why they do not value customers etc etc

Long story short he got a call the next day from the "CEO's office" asking what he would like in order for him to stay with Virgin ? obviously he replied with , what can you offer ? to which we were given a free box, free instalation and 10 MG more broadband for 5 pounds less a month than we were paying !

So , thought it was worth sharing this as for the time it cost to send the email we have come up trumps :j
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    you got an email address for the CEO for virgin media, i would like to send him an email. so far been lied to 5 times by virginmedia, received their new modem 14/05/12 but with error code 0070 so much for their 20-30minutes to activate, told it would be 4:30pm the day i installed it, told that night, they where sending out an engineer next day 8am-12midday, no engineer was actually sent and was told that i didnt phone them on monday night, tuesday was told 3:30 wednesday it would be running, then when i phoned again that wednesday to complain that it was still not working due to the same error code 0070 which i found out means its stuck behind their firewall, was told 7 days for it to be fix, phoned today and was told that i phoned on Thursday, wrong it was wednesday, still same error code 0070, and today got told it was for non-payment to account, considering i checked my back account today before phoning and it said DD virginmedia 21 May, which is why I knew the that was a lie as to why the free upgrade to 20mb wasnt working and that it will be working tomorrow. So glad i gave them 30days notice and that my account with them will be closed on the 13 June, and i dont owe them anything except maybe a phonecall.
    Disguesting service, been with them for over 8 years, and most of my family have accounts with them, and they to are finding this disgusting.
    Loyalty doesnt count for anything these day, they are just going to screw they loyal customers by charging them more and more for less and less services whilst new customers will get the better deal.
    I do hope BRANSON will come to these pages and read people comments about how his company is being run and i hope he realizes people will LEAVE and go elsewhere.
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    andy2004 wrote: »
    you got an email address for the CEO for virgin media, i would like to send him an email. so far been lied to 5 times by virginmedia, received their new modem 14/05/12 but with error code 0070 so much for their 20-30minutes to activate, told it would be 4:30pm the day i installed it, told that night, they where sending out an engineer next day 8am-12midday, no engineer was actually sent and was told that i didnt phone them on monday night, tuesday was told 3:30 wednesday it would be running, then when i phoned again that wednesday to complain that it was still not working due to the same error code 0070 which i found out means its stuck behind their firewall, was told 7 days for it to be fix, phoned today and was told that i phoned on Thursday, wrong it was wednesday, still same error code 0070, and today got told it was for non-payment to account, considering i checked my back account today before phoning and it said DD virginmedia 21 May, which is why I knew the that was a lie as to why the free upgrade to 20mb wasnt working and that it will be working tomorrow. So glad i gave them 30days notice and that my account with them will be closed on the 13 June, and i dont owe them anything except maybe a phonecall.
    Disguesting service, been with them for over 8 years, and most of my family have accounts with them, and they to are finding this disgusting.
    Loyalty doesnt count for anything these day, they are just going to screw they loyal customers by charging them more and more for less and less services whilst new customers will get the better deal.
    I do hope BRANSON will come to these pages and read people comments about how his company is being run and i hope he realizes people will LEAVE and go elsewhere.

[EMAIL="neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk"]neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Good Luck !
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Richard Branson has nothing to do with the company.. He just allows them to use his name.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure