Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Gratis
    Gratis Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
  • Gratis
    Options
    skyinsider wrote: »

With sky, if you are looking to leave you may get an offer, but you might not. It depends on your history with the company and how you go about leaving. The mythical 50% is offered after cancellation, however, it is very, very rare nowadays. Remember that all staff in that department have access to previous calls.

There's nothing "mythical" at all about Sky TV 50% discounts (even for twelve months at a time). Many people here have obtained it recently. Apart from a two month period of cancellation late last year, my own family in England has been on it for the last two and a half years.
    skyinsider wrote: »

The way to save the most money is to have all l your services with the one company.

This is true only in the short term. Once the honeymoon period is over, the company has you by the nuts: try getting a discount then. Changing broadband suppliers and 'phone companies is a major pain.

Unless you do a vast amount of streaming on Sky Anytime+, in the long term it's usually more economic, and it's certainly more flexible, to keep all three services independent and haggle for each one.

The economics of it also depend on whether or not your local telephone exchange has been unbundled (and to whom).

The way to save the most money of all is to have an accountant who haggles with HMRC to render all three services tax-deductible for you. :)
  • Gratis
    Options
    KTF wrote: »

Also with SKY you are a 'new' customer after 3 months so if you can live without the service for that period of time you can then sign up again with the new customer offers, etc.

This is totally incorrect and you mislead others by stating it.

Sky will treat neither you nor any member of your household as a "new" customer until at least twelve months after a fully-paid-up cancellation.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats what I was told by the person on the phone when I asked how long it would be before I could sign up again as a new customer.
  • Gratis
    Options
    KTF wrote: »

Thats what I was told by the person on the phone when I asked how long it would be before I could sign up again as a new customer.

Try doing it.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • itzmee
    itzmee Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2012 at 11:10PM
    Options
    We are currently with Virgin for phone and 30Mb broadband (£33.90 per month) and Sky for TV (family package and multiroom at £34.75 per month - I had already previously cancelled HD at £10.25 per month). I called Sky retention to say I was leaving as Virgin's Premier package (£58.90) offered better value. I was hoping for a deal but just got a cancellation date.

Initally Virgin advised that the Premier package would cost us £68.90 per month as we wanted to upgrade the extra HD box for another tivo box. When we spoke to their retentions team they cut this price to £57 per month for 18 months (12 month contract) but we will pay £50 installation for the extra tivo. We are happy with this price as we have an upgraded package and are still paying less than we would have for the two separate companies.
  • somnus
    somnus Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Jimbo333 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just after a bit of advice.

We have had Virgin for about 6 years at our home. £22ish p/m, for internet only (never use a landline telephone, and not interested in hundreds of TV channels).

Think they give us 10meg. Fantastic connection, never goes down (unlike my wireless router). Not a bad deal, but could be better.

So, moving house imminently.

What's the best plan to get a good deal at the new house?

Cancel now, and then look at fresh Virgin (or other?) deals when we move?

Or switch the account over to the new address, getting sucked into an 18 month contract again, and reducing bargaining power?

We will probably want Virgin TV in the new house (no aerial there!).

Thanks!:j

Hi Jimbo. Just wanted to let you know our experience in exactly the same situation 6 months ago..

We had been a customer for 18 months taking broadband only at £21p/m. Because I didn't know what services we wanted at the new house I just rang to tell them I'd like to cancel because I've not looked at any deals with competitors and haven't had chance to do so - being so busy with the move etc. They agreed to cancel.

I was prepared to be without service for a while over this period, but 2-3 weeks later they rang and offered me £10p/m off my bill, so £11p/m for 10MB broadband with free installation and a new router. Snapped their hand off for it. Had a price rise to £12.50p/m mind...

Just wanted to share. Offers change and customer services change etc, so hopefully you'll get a good deal :)
  • davemurgatroyd
    Options
    All those seeking to negotiate with Sky or Virgin should read this thread first - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3958923
  • storrie
    storrie Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I've got sky tv (all except sports) plus phone and broadband Over 30 minutes sitting on the phone with SKY

orginally offered
    Sky talk+broadband for £5 for 9 months (£15 a month discount) - turned it down
    then offered sky talk for £1 for 12 months (£11 a month discount )- turned it down
    25% off tv for 12 months (£11 a month discount) - turned it down.

Now in my 31 days cancellation period it's a Mexican stand off see if they'll offer me anything better
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    storrie wrote: »
    I've got sky tv (all except sports) plus phone and broadband Over 30 minutes sitting on the phone with SKY

orginally offered
    Sky talk+broadband for £5 for 9 months (£15 a month discount) - turned it down
    then offered sky talk for £1 for 12 months (£11 a month discount )- turned it down
    25% off tv for 12 months (£11 a month discount) - turned it down.

Now in my 31 days cancellation period it's a Mexican stand off see if they'll offer me anything better

The way the sky system works is it matches your tenure to your pack to your financial history. As you have turned down these offers they are no longer open to you.

What were you looking for? The first offer is a pretty good saving over the course. You would also not be put into a new contract. It also equates to a 30-40% discount on your tv

Whether you get anything else is highly dependent on what you said to the call centre and how they processed your file.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure