We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Special Official Note For Mortgage Brokers

Options

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    herbiesjp wrote:
    OK so for the signature:

How about something short and sweet like mine, Andy's, MM's, HWIC (maybe a little shorter) or Payless?

No links to websites

Emails allowed, because I'm sure the other professionals use these boards for other purposes i.e freebies board etc etc. I cant see why an email would not be allowed

Otherwise you'll get other professionals simply not disclosing any status just to get around any rules that are set up?

Thaks for the input Kenshaz & JB- do any other posters have any ideas on this?

I agree with your point in respect to no links to websites,but I would also not allow emails,also the sheer mention of FSA or other ,regulation numbers etc gives the impression of being official and that is something we should be trying to avoid.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • kenshaz
    Options
    Joe_Bloggs wrote:
    Now now ladies ! An individual signature is an example of freedom of expression. The one signature fits all will probablty not work. I welcome the civilised debate and have learned a lot from the participants.

J_B.

Welcome JB,whilst I do not entirely agree with your comment in respect to individual signatures ,I appreciate your impartial view and welcome an unbiased view with no self interest.I have maintained my stance throughout this thread,and unlike other's I have not changed direction in response to emotive sympathy,
    a signature should not be in breach of legislation or promote self interest ,and maintain the original unique ethics of the site.
    I also respect your open mind principle,of continually learning and listening.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    kenshaz wrote:
    I agree with your point in respect to no links to websites,but I would also not allow emails,also the sheer mention of FSA or other ,regulation numbers etc gives the impression of being official and that is something we should be trying to avoid.

I think you would have to ban website links and emails and PM facilities for everyone then

The people that are helpful on here do so freely - they WANT to help.

For example - how do I know who kenshaz is? I don't. So to make sure you do not email others or PM others or have some kind of link that either makes you money or provides you with business - then you should not have any of these facilities. But then this would need to be the same for everyone.

But as Martin requested - shall we stick to signatures
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kenshaz
    Options
    herbiesjp wrote:
    I think you would have to ban website links and emails and PM facilities for everyone then

The people that are helpful on here do so freely - they WANT to help.

For example - how do I know who kenshaz is? I don't. So to make sure you do not email others or PM others or have some kind of link that either makes you money or provides you with business - then you should not have any of these facilities. But then this would need to be the same for everyone.

But as Martin requested - shall we stick to signatures
    All valid points,do the moderators have access to Pm's?a blanket ban ,would solve the problem on emails ,I personally would never email on this site ,but that is a little selfish.
    Links to web-sites is free advertising and should be stopped for all,or at least commercial sites,with that loop-hole every broker in the UK could have a link to their web-site and just post occasionally,without any interest in the formation ethics.
    I do not know who herbiesjp is ,and with all due respect do I need to know ,I listen to your opinions then evaluate,if we have no direct contact you cannot
    (this is not personal) harm me .Signatures should therefore protect the reader,not the poster.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    ***dons hob nail boots this time*** :)

Way back Martin asked that you put the signatures you suggest into a post and not keep changing your own signatures, now everyone seems to have removed their signatures so I can see very few references throughout the thread to an actual signature that you, the MB would like to see :confused:

Another of Martin's posts....

QUICK PLEA. When you suggest a new version please don't do it by altering your signature - as all that means is its impossible to join this later! Please do it in the post

Dunstonh - I think I shall look at IFAs at a later date - lets get it right with MBs first :)

Right so let's take andrews current (grrrrr ;) ) sig

I am a Mortgage Broker.
    The content of my posts are not advice and are for discussion purposes only.
    For further information including regulatory details click my name and view my profile.

First of all im happy for a bigger font so it is

I am a Mortgage Broker. The content of my posts are not advice and are for discussion purposes only. For further information including regulatory details click my name and view my profile.

So what do you think. I am still concerned about the regulatory details in the profile - would we be better just ignoring that?

Views please

(and thank you all for contributing to this)

Onwards and upwards :)

• herbiesjp
    Options
    kenshaz wrote:
    ,if we have no direct contact you cannot
    (this is not personal) harm me .Signatures should therefore protect the reader,not the poster.

This swings both ways - by having emails, PMs to the advisers here - the advisers can be harmed also.

This thread is about the signature and what ML want sthe MBs to have in their signature.

Draw up a signature and post it - like others before - ML will read it and then judge what he likes.

All good fun and everyone has their say
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but I would also not allow emails

You need an email address to sign up to the site. That email address is available on everyone's profile. Along with MSN, yahoo etc. Why should advisers not have theirs available when other contributers can?

Dunstonh - I think I shall look at IFAs at a later date - lets get it right with MBs first :)

What about IFAs that also hold mortgage class authorisation? ;) (which is probably about half the IFAs out there although I dont think there is one here currently contributing).

I am a Mortgage Broker.

Thats fine.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    Short sweet and to the point
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    Re the email from edinburghglass (mod) - is this a request to replace some sort of official signature saying we are MB's?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AndrewSmith
    Options
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

This would be my chosen format if we have to have signatures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure