New Post Advanced Search

DLA fraud check

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
403 replies 29.2K views

Replies

• ash4becks wrote: »
    To me this is as bad as saying a business can't "offset" its phone costs against tax to pay less tax overall. Last edited by karatedragon; Today at 12:18 AM.

was wondering at this earlyer if on the basis if this could be vat exemt

Do you mean on the grounds of it being a medical expense? That is interesting actually and probably warrants investigation.
  • ash4becksash4becks Forumite
    589 posts
    Do you mean on the grounds of it being a medical expense? That is interesting actually and probably warrants investigation.

well my account with vodaphone is setup as a disabity account had been from day 1 get 100 free 08 numbers a month free and soon will be directroy enquires to, i also get large print bills because of my dyslexia not sure wear to ask about that mind
  • SingleSueSingleSue Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krisskross wrote: »
    And he pays £10 an hour, far less than the going rate for a qualified nurse.

As I said before he can only afford 7 hours a week so most of it I do out of the goodness of my heart.:rotfl:

The point is NONE of the care needs that were detailed in his AA application are unmet.

Now how many people claiming DLA care component can say hand on heart that they pay for the care they say they need with the money they receive? How many just struggle on but with a bit (or a lot) of extra spending money?

A lot of my time is spent on care for youngest (through the day and night) although we haven't made an agreement for hourly rate...not sure he understood that sort of thing when he started to receive DLA. His needs are met fully and the care is given to the best of my ability (even if I do feel out of my depth occasionally).

Now, if receipts were needed, how can you prove via receipts that care is being administered? The care is being received but in the case of a child, obviously, a fair few would not understand the concept of it all.

Just a musing, not being awkward...it was a little question that popped into my head whilst reading through the thread. The thought of effectively 'charging' my child for the care and issuing invoices so that receipts could then be produced just seemed weird.

*Youngest's DLA mainly covers travel costs, special foods, therapy etc which can be proven with receipts plus also needs top up money from the family budget.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
  • Vicky123Vicky123 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Single Sue my sons DLA goes on therapy, foods etc also which mean we also save the NHS money on antipsychotics and other chemical coshes, and SS on max respite whch is freely available on top of DLA.
    I'm living for a breakthrough and cure because the fact that he is entitled to DLA is depressing enough, would love to think the day will come when he does not trully qualify.
    This isn't free money or compensation for getting the short straw, it should be used to help manage the condition imo.
    All I know is if anyone would like my sons DLA then if my son can have their kids health then we can call it a deal in a heartbeat.
  • SingleSueSingleSue Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You and me both Vicky....it would be a dream come true if mine were healthy, not only for them but for my own sanity.

We do not claim or receive respite/direct payments from SS, that is all self funded from his DLA.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K posts
    Yes that is why it is not right to question sh1305 paying a phone bill with her DLA - People need to think carefully before judging if this is or is not a justifyable expense using DLA. Bearing in mind under the "care" claim many questions are about keeping safe.

I also had to go for the slightly more expensive contract - because there was only one phone that could be adapted for me.
    Now, if receipts were needed, how can you prove via receipts that care is being administered?

I asked this yesterday and still don't have an answer.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • edited 29 July 2010 at 11:07AM
    krisskrosskrisskross
    7.7K posts
    edited 29 July 2010 at 11:07AM
    SingleSue wrote: »
    A lot of my time is spent on care for youngest (through the day and night) although we haven't made an agreement for hourly rate...not sure he understood that sort of thing when he started to receive DLA. His needs are met fully and the care is given to the best of my ability (even if I do feel out of my depth occasionally).

Now, if receipts were needed, how can you prove via receipts that care is being administered? The care is being received but in the case of a child, obviously, a fair few would not understand the concept of it all.

Just a musing, not being awkward...it was a little question that popped into my head whilst reading through the thread. The thought of effectively 'charging' my child for the care and issuing invoices so that receipts could then be produced just seemed weird.

*Youngest's DLA mainly covers travel costs, special foods, therapy etc which can be proven with receipts plus also needs top up money from the family budget.

I do understand and honestly I was only joking about charging my husband!

I am sure your children receive all the care they need, as does my husband.

The thing I can't understand though, and i know there are a few of us puzzled by it, is how someone can claim for care and then be saying they don't get it. One person getting DLA then saying she has to phone someone as she can't get out of the bath unaided and has to be in cold water for 45 minutes. Someone else saying they need help turning over in bed but there is no one available etc. It would be like you claiming DLA care component for your child because he needs feeding 3 times a day but the child then saying he is always hungry because no one feeds him.

What difference does the money make if it is not being used to provide the specifically mentioned care needs?
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K posts
    krisskross wrote: »
    The thing I can't understand though, and i know there are a few of us puzzled by it, is how someone can claim for care and then be saying they don't get it.

I'm sure someone would stay up with me for about 8 hours and get £1 for that. That is the problem - there simply isn't enough money left to pay for someone to give the care.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    All I know is if anyone would like my sons DLA then if my son can have their kids health then we can call it a deal in a heartbeat.

I'm so with you; if someone wants my DLA, they can have it if they can take my health problems with it... I said that to my sister before, too.

My mobility component doesn't go on mobility very much because I use it for care - I did not have the energy and stamina to appeal when I was granted LRC instead of the MRC most of the professionals who know me said I ought to be entitled to receive. At my age I would not be able to afford to live in the ground-floor one-bedroom flat that I do if it weren't for receiving DLA; it helps pay for the utilities and the extra of those that I need to fund because of my condition - that and I only get enough Housing Benefit for a room in a shared house as someone under 25, despite mitigating circumstances.

My stress levels have dropped dramatically since I stopped living in a shared house, and my mental health overall has improved as a result. I could not go back to it. I wish I could afford to pay the friend who does do carer duties for me on and off, but I can't, so I'm very grateful she is still willing to help me as much as she does.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spend my DLA on my car and care, I also have to add more money to pay for my care most weeks.

For example yesterday I wanted to take my grand bubs to the beach (for the first time!) which takes 2 PAs, one for me and one for him and I paid my normal carer her normal rate and my "spare" a pound less per hour because she isnt expected to day personel care, we were out for 4 hours and it was a very expnsive day out that cost much more than my HRC, but it was worth it and we had a great time.

For ordinary people a few hours at the seaside is a very cheap day out but when you are severly disabled you have to plan both the day out and how to pay for the care needed, I would love to be an ordinary nan and able to look after the baby myself but its impossible, I cant look after myself never mind a baby.

Care is expensive for those who need it, most people with disabilities dont pay for care and thats why DLA is going to be changed back to what it was meant for in 1992 and not as it is in 2010 when everybody is disabled and wants DLA.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support