1800hotels.ie have gone bust

Options

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dinok wrote: »
    My wife & Children booked two rooms for few nights in Paris - Booking made in June 10 for a stay July 20-23. Arrived there and were told the booking was cancelled & no rooms available. Glad in a way that I was home and managed to get another hotel in Paris - wasn't easy. I went to 1800hotels.com site and they had this screen about bancrunpcy which they have since removed - didn't get a screen shot so appreciate if anyone can email me one. Tried to call their number and they kept me waiting over an hour - basically my phone battery weny down. few angry emails with no feedback at all. email to customer service came back with an error!!
    Family just back from Paris yesterday so not sure what to do now. Payment made with Debit card (read the word stupid and agree).
    Being an Irish company mean part of the EU - anything there that can help.
    Thanks.
    Dino.
    you need to raise a dispute with your visa debit card .... see
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • RobbiGee
    RobbiGee Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Another sufferer here looking for advice.

I only booked one night in Dublin and arrived to find it had been cancelled by 1800hotels supplier as they never received the money from 1800hotels even though I paid them back on June 8th.

My problem is (or luck I guess?!) that I only spent £80 for the room. Because I'm below £100 am I stuffed with no way of recovering the money? I paid for it with my Tesco Clubcard Credit Card btw.

Hotel were good and gave me another room at same rate but obviously now I've paid twice.

Any advice gratefully received.

Robbi Gee
  • isplumm
    Options
    RobbiGee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Another sufferer here looking for advice.

I only booked one night in Dublin and arrived to find it had been cancelled by 1800hotels supplier as they never received the money from 1800hotels even though I paid them back on June 8th.

My problem is (or luck I guess?!) that I only spent £80 for the room. Because I'm below £100 am I stuffed with no way of recovering the money? I paid for it with my Tesco Clubcard Credit Card btw.

Hotel were good and gave me another room at same rate but obviously now I've paid twice.

Any advice gratefully received.

Robbi Gee

Hi,

I would call your cc & ask - but they also should be covered by
    need to raise a dispute with your visa debit card .... see
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • stvb2170
    Options
    Posted this in consumer rights, didn't know people were talking about it here. Anyone any ideas?

Got married this year and we were due to go on a lovely honeymoon to Italy. However a volcano scuppered that plan. We'd paid for the hotel through a third party and they refunded 80% of the cost in voucher form, which was a relief as that was a lot of money to us.

So we had a UK honeymoon on the cheap and intended to use the voucher to go on honeymoon next year as our anniversary.

It would now appear that the people we purchased through and who we have a voucher with (1800hotels) are about to go under. Which makes our voucher pretty worthless.

We made the original purchase with a credit card. Had we bought vouchers in that original purchase we'd be covered, but any ideas what happens under these circumstances?

Dreading telling the wife if that money is gone.

I'll also add that I spent the month up until the wedding worried that BA were going to be on strike and we weren't going to be able to fly, but that was avoided. I get the feeling we're not meant to go on this honeymoon.
  • isplumm
    Options
    stvb2170 wrote: »
    Posted this in consumer rights, didn't know people were talking about it here. Anyone any ideas?

Got married this year and we were due to go on a lovely honeymoon to Italy. However a volcano scuppered that plan. We'd paid for the hotel through a third party and they refunded 80% of the cost in voucher form, which was a relief as that was a lot of money to us.

So we had a UK honeymoon on the cheap and intended to use the voucher to go on honeymoon next year as our anniversary.

It would now appear that the people we purchased through and who we have a voucher with (1800hotels) are about to go under. Which makes our voucher pretty worthless.

We made the original purchase with a credit card. Had we bought vouchers in that original purchase we'd be covered, but any ideas what happens under these circumstances?

Dreading telling the wife if that money is gone.

I'll also add that I spent the month up until the wedding worried that BA were going to be on strike and we weren't going to be able to fly, but that was avoided. I get the feeling we're not meant to go on this honeymoon.

Hi,

As far as I am concerned they have gone bust - all I can advise is call your CC company as soon as poss & tell them you want to claim under s75.

Mark
  • rahmans
    Options
    booked a hotel for august 2010 through 1800hotels. rang hotel directly to check all was fine. hotel told me that they received confirmation from 1800hotels but the following day were told to cancel as they had gone bust. 1800hotels never bothered to inform me of this of course. 1800hotels took the money from my account the day they went bust! i tried contacting them but heard nothing. i assumed i wouldn't get anything back because i used a visa/debit card and not a credit card. i contacted my bank anyway and they put me through to the visa/debit disputes team and they put the money back into my account because, in their words, i had 'paid for a service which was not provided' to me! i was very lucky i think but contact your bank anyway, it's worth a shot. 1800hotels website appears to still be running! unbelievable! warn everyone u know, they shouldnt be allowed to do this.
  • Londongirl1
    Options
    Hey rahmans
    The visa card you booked with who was it?
  • isplumm
    Options
    rahmans wrote: »
    booked a hotel for august 2010 through 1800hotels. rang hotel directly to check all was fine. hotel told me that they received confirmation from 1800hotels but the following day were told to cancel as they had gone bust. 1800hotels never bothered to inform me of this of course. 1800hotels took the money from my account the day they went bust! i tried contacting them but heard nothing. i assumed i wouldn't get anything back because i used a visa/debit card and not a credit card. i contacted my bank anyway and they put me through to the visa/debit disputes team and they put the money back into my account because, in their words, i had 'paid for a service which was not provided' to me! i was very lucky i think but contact your bank anyway, it's worth a shot. 1800hotels website appears to still be running! unbelievable! warn everyone u know, they shouldnt be allowed to do this.

Hi ...

Are you sure - or have you been refunded the money because the money is in dispute? I am with Llyods - they have refunded while they investigate - they reserve theright to take it back.

Mark
  • rahmans
    Options
    I'm with HSBC. They said so long as I don't go and try to claim the money back again through 1800hotels then it's fine. In the meantime, I just got an email from 1800hotels today saying the following...

Travelers who booked hotel rooms prior to July 14th should expect their reservation to be cancelled by one of our suppliers.Please check with your hotel to confirm. Reservations may be canceled even after receiving confirmation. Travelers who find their reservations are canceled may seek a refund by submitting this form (also linked below) to the bankruptcy court in Florida. Please send the attached form to:
    The Federal Bankruptcy Court for the 11th Circuit
    801 N. FloridaAvenue Tampa, Florida 33602
    Name of Debtor: 1800hotels4U, LLC
    Case Number: 10-bk-16648-CED

Travelers who have booked hotel rooms on our website after July 28th WILL NOT be affected since we have entered into an agreement with a new supplier to offer their inventory of rooms via our website.

July 28, 2010 - 1800Hotels.com has resumed operations on its North American website by partnering with Expedia® Affiliate Network (EAN), a business unit of the world's largest online travel company Expedia, Inc. Under the agreement, EAN will power travel bookings on 1800 Hotels.com, providing direct access to the broadest selection of travel products and services, and enabling 1800Hotels.com to streamline its business model.

Earlier this month, 1800Hotels.com filed for bankruptcy protection to restructure its debt. The company is now able to resume customer service.

Sincerely,

1800hotels4U, LLC

This website won't let me paste the link to the form!
  • Scarlett253
    Options
    I only found out today that my hotel in Paris for next week is cancelled through an email I got from 1800Hotels. Given they filed for bankruptcy weeks ago, I can't believe they didn't tell people straight away. It's disgraceful!

From several comments here I gather that some people got their money back from their credit card company? Could someone explain to me please how that works? I used my HSBC Credit Card to pay. Can I ask them to refund me the money?

Thanks for any advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport