Luxuries you mourn and those you don't miss

Options
Obviously, being and staying debt-free requires a change in lifestyle, and is not just a tempoary period, but with that in mind:

What 'luxuries' have you given up in your quest for a debt-free life that you are eager to ingulge in once the debt is cleared? What are you suprised at how little you miss or can do without?

Comments

• Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    I miss holidays

Don't miss stupid spending because of the guilt it causes later
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    I miss the spontaneity of going out just because I feel like it.

I don't miss all the posh branded foods/expensive cuts of meat I used to buy all the time.
  • LittleL_4
    Options
    I miss eating out. I love sushi and we used to eat it at least once a week costing about £45 quid (sometimes three times a week, ouch!)

I've stopped filling the cupboards, fridge and freezer and plan our meals to the point of being anal.

I still buy my luxury moisturiser (if not i'd look like a prune) but don't go mad on anything else.

But basically I have given up spending money I don't have whereas before i'd say f**k it! And once I'm debt free I won't EVER indulge again. This lesson is for life!

Little L
    x
    Debt 28/12/06 £26,467
    £20 grocery challenge per week
    Savings £400
    £2 coins - £8.00
    DMP £357 pcm (CCCs) commenced 1/10/06
    DFD :think:
    proud to be dealing with my debts
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I miss being able to do something, anything at the last minute - all our money is either paid out or allocated as soon as it comes in. I'd love to not have to work out a month in advance every single little thing I do.

I don't miss buying magazines / books, etc all the time. I still get a couple using vouchers every now and then, but I used to waste a fortune on magazines that hardly ever got read.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    Er, could a mod or someone edit the title of this post to make me look a bit less like an illiterate pillock? :o
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't do a DFW life without Heinz ketchup!

I miss just being able to buy things, as and when, now I have to really think about what limits I've got.
    Although saying that I'm glad MSE has given me those limits!

I dont miss getting bank charges continuously and I dont miss buying for the sake of buying and then still feeling awful afterwards!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    I miss proper holidays - currently we camp - and no I'm not 'dissing' camping, I miss the opportunity to just relax and know that breakfast/lunch/dinner is being taken care of.

I don't miss the feeling of being out of control.

Once debt free - we are going on a holiday to Australia - a big hefty expense, but my friend is out there.... Thats incentive enough to keep counting the pennies.
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    i miss being carefree. i hadn't had my lightbulb moment until after i joined this site, and i miss the feeling of not panicking over every single penny i spend like i do now. these days i feel so guilty if i buy something i get quite upset.

i'm finding i don't miss the tv too much. if i had a higher income i'd definatly get sky back, but i'm not sitting crying in front of the tv cause it doesnt have a picture.
  • MinnieSpender
    Options
    Smashing wrote:
    Er, could a mod or someone edit the title of this post to make me look a bit less like an illiterate pillock? :o

:rotfl:

You can do it yourself! Click on the edit button and then "go to advanced" and edit from there!

Great post, btw.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    saubryn wrote:
    I miss being able to do something, anything at the last minute - all our money is either paid out or allocated as soon as it comes in. I'd love to not have to work out a month in advance every single little thing I do.

I don't miss buying magazines / books, etc all the time. I still get a couple using vouchers every now and then, but I used to waste a fortune on magazines that hardly ever got read.
    Mine is the same as this!

I miss being spontaneous, just doing something when I felt like it, like going away for the weekend, or going out for dinner, or splurging on an outfit, or treating my friends.

BUT in the same vein, I don't miss this as afterwards it was always "ah, spent quite a bit..........ah I'll pay it off next month" and I don't miss not having any money.

I have more money now that I'm paying off my debts than when I was running them up!!! Odd isn't it!!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport