IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Armtrac Security Services

Options
In the local paper this week in Cornwall

http://www.squidoo.com/armtrac-security-services

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At least they strongly mention that its not a fine and not worth the paper its printed on.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • vinto22
    vinto22 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2010 at 12:17PM
    Options
    I am presently in dispute with Armtrac following the issue of a penalty notice in a car park in Falmouth whilst on holiday in Cornwall.

I parked in the Maritime museum car park, duly paid the correct amount. placed the ticket on my dashboard in clear view and on my return I found a penalty notice attached to my windscreen. The notice said that the ticket was unidentifiable. It was face down on my dashboard. Prior to leaving the car I took a photograph of the ticket correctly positioned, facing upwards. It was a windy day and the ticket must have flipped in the wind as I closed the driver's door. I took a photograph of the ticket because as a regular user of public car parks in and around London I have been falsely issued with penalty notices and have learnt from these experiences.

On my return home I sent a letter of appeal to Armtrac with a copy of the penalty notice, a copy of the ticket and a copy of the photograph showing the correctly positioned ticket. In my letter I mentioned the wind conditions and the lack of any means whereby the ticket could be secured to the windscreen etc via an adhesive strip or patch.

Today I received a letter from Armtrac in which they have said "Your photograph shows your ticket face up, it must have flipped back over when you opened the door as our picture taken at the time the PCT was issued does not show a ticket face side up displaying any relevant details." They are insinuating that my picture, taken at around 13:15 was taken after the ticket had been issued.

Two photographs have been sent to myself as evidence of this to back up their claim. These photographs are blurred, out of focus, not dated or time stamped and do not show the registration plate of my vehicle. As far as I am aware photographs cannot be submitted as evidence if no date/time stamp/mark is embedded on said photos.

They have accepted that I paid the correct fee, but that the ticket was not positioned correctly, which to the best of my knowledge it was. They also state, "Armtrac Security Services can only issue a cancellation when an error has occurred on our part and as this is not the case here we are unable to do so." As I see it, the ticket was moved (flipped) by a gust of wind that, the last time i checked, I have no control over what so ever, therefore it could be considered as, for want of a better phrase, 'an act of god' and out of my control.

I have consulted two London authorities who have both said that as I am able to provide proof that a ticket was purchased in good faith and was displayed, to the best of my knowledge, correctly, they would cancel the notice.

It was also suggested that had my vehicle had been a 'locally registered vehicle' the appeal would be treated differently. They are using the fact that I live around 300 miles away and that I will not contest because of the distance.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    vinto, I read these forums regularly and it would appear that appeals never work. Just ignore them. They'll send you a few snotty letters, threaten you with this and that and then go away. I wouldn't bother trying to get them to drop the fine; it won't work.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Sir_Roger_deLodger
    Sir_Roger_deLodger Posts: 992 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2010 at 2:13PM
    Options
    As you have found out, there is no such thing as an appeal with these clowns.
    You are taking them far too seriously, don't confuse it with a council PCN, it is just a scam.
    Do not contact them again and ignore all future correspondence from Armtrac. Expect letters from so called "debt collectors" and dodgy "solicitors", ignore these as well, they will stop once it gets into their thick heads that you are not going to pay.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Didn't this bunch of idiots used to refer to the Armtrac Security Services (Off-Street Parking Places) Order 1997 on their tickets? pmsl
  • vinto22
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied and thanks for the info and support.

Since posting my experience with Armtrac I have researched them on the web and the general consensus appears to be that they are a bunch of chancers, the polite version, and that I should not have appealed in the first place.

I have had experiences with Council parking etc in the past but not a private organisation working on behalf of whoever. which is why I appealed. I now know better.
  • Surfer26
    Options
    Vinto22,

I have also been in exactly the same situation as you with the ticket being blown over and receiving a fine. Can you tell me what has happened so far? I have had two letters, one saying that I need to pay the fine (after I told them I had a ticket) and then a follow up saying that I need to pay the full price asap. What have they sent you?

After posting on here I am also ignoring their letters!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    You will find most people only come back when things go awry, thats why so few come back. I would fully expect that they have thrown in the towel as he did not fold quickly.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • bromsgrovebarry
    Options
    Useful post . I was interested to read how clampers are destroying retail businesses by driving away shoppers. It certainly makes a mockery of the point made by clampers and other cowboys that they help businesses make better use of their car parks.
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
  • westman_2
    Options
    I have today had the pleasure of a contact with this organisation after parking and finding I did not have change I limped to the bank not 30 metres away to get some. Due to a queue and after opproximately five minutes I returned to my car to find I had been issued a Parking Ticket, it seemed pointless at the time to purchase a ticket as I had already been penalised but I consider the £60 charge extortionate. But as I have not made any payment should I at least make some payment or refuse any payment what so ever and bluff it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure