PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Odd food combos

Comments

• ralloctiger
    ralloctiger Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    longtermlurker

i want to hug you!!!!

i have builders in
    about half an hour ago one went to take a mug and dispense water frm the fridge thingy
    i went "noooooooooooooo" and had a glass in his hand, mug in the dishwasher before he could blink

my daughter said "oh noooooooo you cant drink water from a mug, she wont let you":rotfl:

Thats like eating soup with a dessert spoon!!!!!! just not allowed in my house. lol
    :) mum to Min Pops and Wiggy et al. :)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I love marmite with celery! and....
    leftover takeaway curry with boiled potatoes.
    cheese and blackcurrant jam sandwiches.
    cheese and apple toasties
    not to mention a stir fry with whatever leftover veggies and bits of meat I can find in the fridge!
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    oh - I forgot one... peanut butter and apricot jam. This is following closely by peanut butter and strawberry jam... delish!
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • We have 14 yr old & 20 yr old sons & there are never any leftovers!
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have done few mad combos when trying to live off whats in house.

yesterday hubby loaned about rice cooked in beef oxo as it was there.
    mashed up clove raw garlic in pestle and morter with salt, herbs and added butter.
    cooked up brocolli from garden, swetcorn and carrots from freezer.
    added all veg to big bowl, then added tin of canneli beans warmed mixed up add garlic herb butter which melted on top then drained rice and stired in rice to make rather odd savoury rice which hubby said far too garlicky.

got one idea on here once paxo and red lentil burgers.I do poor mans roat with burger, veg and bisto, frozen yorkies are lush by themselves.

I add pasta to green salads.

I try not waste anything if I can.
    I enjoy being inventive omlettes and frittas godo as can add lots.
    spag bol with mashed potato on top to make italian shepards pie surprisingly tasty.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Bronnie wrote: »
    ...would probably make a fishcake with the mash and kipper and the pasta sauce on plain spag with parmesan for another cheap meal.

Me too, couldn't eat them all together!
    Caroline73 wrote: »
    Not because it was MSE but because my son (4) is gross - popcorn in marmite.

But that's scrummy - just like Tesco's savoury rice cakes!

Wierdest things usually end up being "saved" for OH's lunch when he's working from his office in the attic, but we do have a reasonably good left-overs habit, due to OH's fridge management skills!
  • sexylulubelle
    sexylulubelle Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ooh what a wonderful thread:D, I'm pretty good at using up all my leftovers( I hate wasting especially food) luckily myself and hubby are not fussy eaters( my 4 yearold son makes up for that as he is super fussy to the point of being unreasonable lol:) anyways I love leftovers and will pretty much eat anything but I have a very weird habit when it comes to leftovers ( I will only eat it cold,( like its been in the fridge cold) it doesnt matter what it is, curry, pizza, pasta, mince you name I cant eat it reheated lol!
    Ive had some pretty odd combinations, (my favourite for breakfast is toasted bovril, sliced tomato topped with melted cheese or I'll replace the tomato with sliced avocado) its yummy! my husband loves marmite, peanut butter and cheese sandwiches!
    I made a risotto the other night with roasted butternut squash, chilli, garlic, fresh basil topped with salami and grated cheese it was fab, so I'm going to make it again! I also do a lot of catering so when I'm at work and we have leftovers I use it the same day( I mean whats left over in the tray or saucepan not leftovers from peoples plates, eew that would just be gross lol,) I'll take it home and make some sort of pie out of it, my fav is leftover cottage pie you know when the mash and mince is all mixed together I put in a casserole dish top with grated cheese and bake in the oven and serve with toasted french bread yummy, I also love leftover bacon and liver casserole on toast the next morning, crikey I could go on for ages lol:) ooh this one a learnt in a fancy restaurant what to do with your leftover CLEAN potato peelings, Deepfry potato peels till nice and crispy add chopped crispy bacon top with cheese grill in oven and serve with sourcream and fresh chives its absolutely delightful!!
    LOVE isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live WITHOUT :heart:
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This isn't exactly about left overs - more a satisfying mix. Anyone else stand in the kitchen with a banana in one hand and a dessert spoon of peanut butter in the other and take bite about? Yum (no double dipping the spoon back in the jar though:naughty:)
    Really fancy the earlier suggestion of marmite, tuna, baked beans and cheese on toast. Will defintely try that one.
    W
  • joyjoy5
    joyjoy5 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Peanut butter with anything is yum! I used to have a teacher who ate peanut butter and marmite sandwiches. I tried it once - strange is the word to describe it... one chew you can taste peanut butter, the next chew is marmite.

When I have chinese, I like to microwave the leftover chow mein the following day and put it between 2 slices of toasted bread, with either ketchup or satay sauce... mmm yum!

I agree with the "can't drink water from a mug" - always tastes luke warm, even if it isn't!
  • SallyForth_2
    SallyForth_2 Posts: 501 Forumite
    rachbc wrote: »
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes - I have no idea why as I know it makes no sense but I just can't. For what its worth I think its me who's odd not people who do!

Can't you put your potatoes, mashed, on top of your bolognese and call it shephards pie?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure