i'm new to this, please be gentle with me!

Options
Hello there,
I've been reading the debt free wannabe pages for weeks now but have only just got up the courage to post a message and ask for help myself. :rotfl:
I'm another debt free wannabe, i've been struggling with this for so long now on my own and have faced on many an occasion the embarrassment of having my card declined/not being able to withdraw money/demanding letters through my door and i've finally reached the end of my tether with it.
I wake up, like i'm sure many of you do in the middle of the night worrying about money and getting incredibly anxious and depressed by it all :cry:
I feel sick everytime i come home in fear of the post on the mat, and last week my worst nightmare was realised when my parents found out the extent of my debt.:eek: :eek: (iro 28000!)
the effect this has had on our relationship does not bear writing about. it has also had a similarly negative effect on my health, weight and stress levels.

I do not know what else to do, where to get the money from to sort this out and have cut back so much over the last two years i don't know whether there is much left to do, short of becoming a hermit!!

i currently owe stupidly small sums to stupidly small people but just cannot afford to pay it, couple this with my debt management plan and the 10k loan my father took out on my behalf without knowing the full extent and all i am doing is constantly paying off debt with nothing left to so much as by a new tyre for my car which keeps going flat!!!:o :sad:
Is there anyone out there with a listening ear and some practical advice prepared to help another debt free wannabe who doesn't know where else to turn? I just want to be able to live my life without the fear of facing each financial day and get my life back again.
my user name Pania refers to a mermaid in maori legend who is trapped by powers beyond her control in a prison made of seaweed beneath the ocean.
this is how i feel, drowning, imprisoned and out of control :sad: :cry:
help!!!! Thanks for your time. xx
debt @05/11/11 £12210.63!! slowly chipping away!!
:heart2:impossible is nothing.:heart2:

Comments

• bargainbetty
    Options
    Hello hon,

Welcome to the boards! No shame, no judgement, just lots of help!!

Have a read of the stickies at the top of the board, and do a statement of affairs - then loads of good people will be right along to help.

And keep your chin up! You've taken a huge step already, and you'll soon have a plan of attack...

Good luck x
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • pania
    pania Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou for replying so quickly, is nice to know people are there. well here goes on the SOA.... god this is scary!
  • Reya
    Reya Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck with it, pania, and well done on making the first step!
    I was cut out to be rich, but got sewn up wrong.
  • lyric_grace
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to debt free wannabes, I've not been here that long myself but your in the right place everyone is friendly and in a similar position, don't worry about your SOA its alwasy good to get it finally written down so you have a starting point and we can all help you. Consider this to the first day on your way to beoming debt free. Chin up
    LG xx
    Just trying to be me.....
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    hi there Pania

We are always gentle on here so first of all give yourself a big pat on the back for making the first step. it all up from now on. There is so much help and advice on here you will be sorted before you know it, honest I mean it, first things first how about posting a soa and then OP can start with ideas tips to save money.

Tee
    xx
    xx
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everyone's great on here and will really help you loads :)
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    Coucou24.gif pania welcome, be anthing but dont be ashamed, most of us on here are in your situation or has been through it, on here we are all the same reaching the same goal, the support network you will find on here is hard to put into words but they are all great, you will get there it just takes time :rolleyes:
  • pania
    Options
    ok, have had a read and hope i get this right. Will try to add a bit of information as i go on a few bits. :confused:

Income (basic as have just swapped jobs, should be about £50 more next month)

£1160

Outgoings

Rent £200 (usually £350, has been reduced for 3 months only)
    Council tax £72
    Telewest £40 (for phone, tv and internet)
    Loan repayment £274 (This is the one my father took out)
    Debt Management£200

(this was taken out about 1 1/2 years ago when my wage was higher, scared to tell them my wage has dropped due to them blaming me and taking action, also scared to swap companies as i've done it once before and my creditors took the advantage and whacked me with a load of interest and back dated charges in the interim!! They take £30 of this each month as their payment):mad:

Loan repayment to ex boyfriend £60 :eek:
    Car insurance £26.06
    mobile phone £60

(tied into a contract the ex-boyf took out on my behalf how can i lower this or get out of it?) :huh:

petrol £100 (if i can afford it)
    Food £66 (if i can afford it or as and when!)

Thats all i can think of at mo. You may notice i don't have any gas/electric/water on there.

Gas and electric currently up to date
    Water are demanding payment and i don't have it!!!

I am currently getting demands from capital bank for the final payment of £130 for my car
    Southern water as mentioned above.
    TV licence paid up to jan 07.
    Old vets bill which i am disputing for £37.
    If i could just get the little things out of the way so i am left with just the main outgoings it would be an improvement!
    Current debt IRO £28000:eek:
    Current debt free date (according to debt management company) 10 years!!:eek: :mad: :cry: _pale_

i don't have any luxuries like gyms, magazines, etc i just live to pay what needs paying. I at one point had three jobs last year after leaving my previous good career due to illness. i just can't do it anymore. please please help me find a way out.

thankyou in advance for your kindness and advice. xx
    if it takes me a while to respond i am on dial up and have to keep logging out and in again.
  • pania
    Options
    oops sorry. forgot loan repayment insurance of £21 per month (my dad insists on it for the loan)

Also forgot £67 for a new car tyre.

sorry guys. xx
  • anniebooklover
    Options
    pania ((((((hugs ))))))

Love the story of your user name. Don't let the overall amount of debt get you down hun. Loads of people will offer you there experise here. Have faith. Things will get better from here. You are not alone.

Some of your bills look a bit high. Have you tried to negotiate with the providers and see what they offer?

I'm sure things will start to look up soon,

Take care sweetie

Annie
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts