We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Broccoli Blues - what to do with the stalks?

1…678911

Comments

  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    I use my broccoli stalks in soup too. No waste here :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

    Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,684 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Can you buy it ready prepared with only the florets in the pack.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,692 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    The stalks are great in omelettes (Cauliflower stalks too). Chop fine, saute in butter, add the eggs - delicious.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,486 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Can you buy it ready prepared with only the florets in the pack.
    Or maybe frozen. Even less waste. I must admit I cook the stalks too.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,768 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It's regarded as the cook's perk in this house. I chop the florets off and steam them, but the stalk never makes it anywhere near a pan. I hack the outer tough bit off and then have the inner creamy coloured longer bits as crudites while I'm cooking. Lovely.
    Better is good enough.
    Note to self: Motivation follows Action, not the other way around.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    edited 1 April 2014 at 11:15AM
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    It's regarded as the cook's perk in this house. I chop the florets off and steam them, but the stalk never makes it anywhere near a pan. I hack the outer tough bit off and then have the inner creamy coloured longer bits as crudites while I'm cooking. Lovely.


    :T:T:T


    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. :D
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Supermarkets actually get really annoyed if they see you breaking off the stalks - annoying but I suppose we could take along our peelers so we dont pay for carrot peelings etc :) I usually boil up the stems for the dog as he seems to love them chopped into his dinner..

    I also boil them up for the dogs.

    This is quite an interesting thread, the thought of cooking/eating the stalks has never occurred to me. My mum always threw them away and previous to having the dogs, I did the same! Scandalous!
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

    15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • mutley_muppet
    mutley_muppet Posts: 1,071 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    carlamarie wrote: »
    I also boil them up for the dogs.

    My dog eats the stalk raw! :)
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

    Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My dog eats the stalk raw! :)

    My youngest dog doesn't bother with it raw, my elder one is a gannet and will eat everything and anything!
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

    15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    I love them grated in hm coleslaw.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.