New attacks on I.B claimants

Options

Comments

• Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, I don't see it as free. I pay for it. with every fall, every fumble with a stupid tin-opener, every blackout, every tic,every time I see my pensioner mum having to be my carer, every moment when I realise that I am no longer the strong, confident, capable Head of Department I used to be.

Secondly, I sincerely hope that you never find yourself in my position. And if you do, I trust you won't accept a penny to help you regain a semblance of normality.

Don't worry about this person wooden suitcase. Just look at hir other posts and you'll see sie is a blatant troll.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Le73Uq86Uv
    Le73Uq86Uv Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2010 at 6:16PM
    Options
    Deleted Post.
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Le73Uq86Uv wrote: »
    What is wrong is the medical.

Most people being assesed will be able to do some kind of work including your husband. I know I don't know him or his condition but ask yourself a question does he do anything around the house?

Washing up?

Under the terms of the IB medical, he has been classified as unfit for work. He has never exaggerated his condition nor told lies about it and has had it for over twenty years, most of the time remaining in work and only claiming IB since 2004 when he could not remain at work any longer.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Le73Uq86Uv
    Le73Uq86Uv Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2010 at 6:16PM
    Options
    Deleted Post.
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You miss my point.

And unless he is bed ridden he may be able to do some work and fail the medical, they have changed the rules.

What's your point? Is it fair to force people to work, whereby it would cause them problems for the next few days?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    What's your point? Is it fair to force people to work, whereby it would cause them problems for the next few days?

Of course not, but that doesn't mean that ATOS think the same way...
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You miss my point.

And unless he is bed ridden he may be able to do some work and fail the medical, they have changed the rules.

I understand that. I also understand that as he reaches State Pension age before April 6th 2014, he will not be moved over to ESA and therefore will not have an ESA medical. Even if he did, people of his age are not expected to sign on and look for work.

He is early retired and has a Teachers' pension, so if the IB is stopped, sobeit.

I understand that younger people who fail the medical will have to look for work, but if they are capable of doing something, surely it is better to do something than nothing?

Of course I appreciate it is not that easy to get a job for anyone, but that is no reason to not seek work, if you are capable.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course I appreciate it is not that easy to get a job for anyone, but that is no reason to not seek work, if you are capable.

But suely if you score 9 points, how are you capable for work? Plus thy don't take into ccount that some people can work; but only for one or two hours a day.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    MrsManda wrote: »
    Some people on IB can work, just not in the job they used to do. Others cannot work at all. In the past there has not always been a differentiation between these two groups and there hasn't been an independent assessment, rather than whether you fall in to one group or the other has depended on the relationship with your GP. I know people who are genuinely unable to work and I don't believe they'll be affected. But I also know people who've been given low rate DLA because they have to inject insulin once a day for diabetes which drives me gently mad.

True enough, I daresay we all know someone who receives disability payments without actually being disabled and having care and mobility needs.

For someone to receive DLA, even at a low rate, they have to show that they have care and mobility needs and are unable to manage without the extra help the money can provide, clearly insulin injections doesn't fit this category, indicating some degree of exagerration on the form.

Clearly blisters and the like can't possibly qualify for sickness benefits, but the fault lies with a system which allows such nonsense.

Hubby has MRI scans on his spine and knee, takes lots of various meds, has had a medical, and receives IB. He was stunned to discover when he could no longer work (thatching rooves), that the state were content for him to 'retire' at 46!!!

He had to fight to get access to training and help with arranging course, advice re. what he could realistically expect to be competently able to do and so on ~ he wouldn't need help now, but back then, we'd both been out of education for 20 yrs.

It is those attitudes that have allowed fraud to flourish. However, it is intrinsically wrong to brand all claimants as fraudulent, and the sort of language used rather implies that the government actually believes the rhetoric.

Of course the welfare system needs cutting back, of course there are many workshy, !!!!less no hopers living their dull monotonous lives on the state, but I truly hope the genuine claimants aren't made to suffer, and that ratrher than simply withdraw benefits, help is available for those who need it to retrain and have a chance of rebuilding lives savaged by illness or disability. Without the extra money of IB, we wouldn't have been able to afford the retraining ~ the courses are free/subsidised to the unemployed, but travel isn't, and classes, tutorials and volunteering to gain experience was putting an average 200 miles a week on our petrol bill.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »

I used to work 12 hour night shifts and would be rostered to work 5 nights in a row followed by 5 nights off.

i was absolutely wiped out and fit for nothing for my first 2 days off. Didn't mean I shouldn't have gone to work in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure