The Sub Prime Credit Thread - Part V

Options

Comments

• lisaloo1977
    Options
    Have just done the 3 phone sim, hope that was a step in the right direction???
    :naughty:
  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2010 at 1:41PM
    Options
    I've heard the debt collector "trace" ones can be bad, but don't have knowledge of that so someone else will have to advise. The other unrecorded ones are normally ID checks, I get some from betting websites (some decide to ID me, loads don't bother). They won't affect your score etc, I've got loads from Equifax and for some reason the spread betting company I'm with searched me 5 times in 1 month, I have no idea why, weridos. It's just the ones from the debt collectors you may have a problem with, if they are actually traces, but somebody will be able to advise you about that :) Also

I'm not sure o2 will let you change contract names - it used to be possible, but a lot of people were getting parents to take out contracts for them at 14/15 then getting it transferred at 18 and the history was going with it. My friend's dad was told he wasn't allowed to change it to his son's name for this reason and data protection etc (you can only change the name on a credit agreement if you got married/got it done by deed poll and sent in proof, apparently), it may be worth a shot though.

I'd certainly try 3 SIM Zero and Vanquis. Maybe even the lowest Capital One card. That's only 3 searches. As long as you don't apply for anything else soon it won't matter. After 6 months searches don't really have as much impact in automated scoring, but they can in manual applications (Natwest (although I guess you're not keen to go back there!) and their wonderful AVU for example).

For example I apply for everything under the sun on the same day.... see what I get, then wait 6 months and do the same again.... Although last time I forgot to do Sygma so did them a week later, but they accepted me, despite the fact they could probably see all the searches I'd done the week before! And the searches before that too, but they don't really count as much. After 12 months they are wiped anyway, so unless you go overboard in a short time (15 in 6 months or something) it shouldn't matter.

As you have no history you obviously won't be trying for Sygma/Halifax/MBNA etc like I did though, not at this time anyway, so you're pretty limited as to what you can realistically try for - to such an extent that if it was me personally I'd go for the whole lot and see what you get.... Then, based on what you get, make sure you wait a full 6 months and reapply for the appropriate things (which will depend what you get now) and move on from there :)

For example I've just got that Halifax account, and Sygma. I'm applying for a new Sygma card in December (which will be based largely on internal conduct), then in February I will apply for a Halifax credit card and another Sygma card and somethig like Natpest (I only just closed my Student card down with them) or Santander
  • Zack1
    Options
    Have just done the 3 phone sim, hope that was a step in the right direction???
    Were you accepted for it?
  • lisaloo1977
    Options
    Yep, i have had an email saying that they have everything they need, are happy and my order is in the post. It will be with me on monday 6th.
    It is the Sim Zero, that is the right one???

Have i just made the first step???
  • Zack1
    Options
    Yep, i have had an email saying that they have everything they need, are happy and my order is in the post. It will be with me on monday 6th.
    It is the Sim Zero, that is the right one???

Have i just made the first step???

Good :) The £0 a month one? Yep that's the right one. Have you setup a direct debit to pay in full? I can't remember if it makes you do it when you sign up. But basically yes you've made the first step now :) You might as well try Vanquis as suggested, and maybe Cap1/anyone else you want to try. Then wait a full 6 months (so a few weeks into March) before doing anything else

Personally I'd spend 10p on it sending a text to your actual phone, just to ensure it gets activated (you don't want a non-active account on your file, and I know my bank account wasn't activated for 3 months because I forgot to use it!). Once you've done this and made sure it's paid off properly (if it's DD just make sure you check for the bill online and check you have the money in your account around the billing date) and then just put the sim somewhere and leave it to build up history :)
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    Any type of search by a debt collection firm is bad news. They are obviously searching you in order to find you due to unpaid debts.

Perhaps any unpaid debts from many years ago that could catch up with you now?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Zack1
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    Any type of search by a debt collection firm is bad news. They are obviously searching you in order to find you due to unpaid debts.

Perhaps any unpaid debts from many years ago that could catch up with you now?
    If it's statute barred couldn't she just tell them to jog on though? Thought if you don't acknowledge the account is/was yours they can't do anything (unless you've made a payment etc within the last 6 years). But yea I agree a debt search is never a good thing, but don't think they have any powers by law now... It seems like the debt goes back a lot longer than 6 years
  • lisaloo1977
    Options
    Yeah i set up the direct debit, when i ordered it.

I always have money in the account, so if i do the text, make sure its set up and then not use it again i should be getting credit history.
  • lisaloo1977
    Options
    The debt is from 9 years ago and i was told 2 years ago that it was statute barred, so i also have no idea why its going on file now.

Is there anything i can do to stop it? I just spoke to the people at checkyourfile who said everything is dropped off, but yes there are the 3 searchs from debt collectors.

Will it be a case of these people will just keep selling it on and then everytime i do the buyer does another search on my account?

This debt started because my overdraft interest took me a few pound over my £100 buffer overdraft limit. The letter and £8 daily charge meant by the time i found out i was £70+ in charges, i argued with them and the daily charges and letters kept adding up until it hit £600 and i then told them i was not paying, that they should freeze it and take me to court. I then left to work abroad for many years, did not even have any banking in the UK and was not on the roll.

Here we are today, as i said before, if i had actually paid the charges i would have likely got them back now. The whole point that made me fight, was the sheer reluctance on the banks part to even see that the charges were ridiculous for the crime.

In a way they have done me a favour as im 33 and owe nothing, maybe if id got years of credit i would not be saying that now.
  • onefortheroad_2
    onefortheroad_2 Posts: 183 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2010 at 3:19PM
    Options
    The debt is from 9 years ago and i was told 2 years ago that it was statute barred, so i also have no idea why its going on file now.

Is there anything i can do to stop it? I just spoke to the people at checkyourfile who said everything is dropped off, but yes there are the 3 searchs from debt collectors.

Will it be a case of these people will just keep selling it on and then everytime i do the buyer does another search on my account?

This debt started because my overdraft interest took me a few pound over my £100 buffer overdraft limit. The letter and £8 daily charge meant by the time i found out i was £70+ in charges, i argued with them and the daily charges and letters kept adding up until it hit £600 and i then told them i was not paying, that they should freeze it and take me to court. I then left to work abroad for many years, did not even have any banking in the UK and was not on the roll.

Here we are today, as i said before, if i had actually paid the charges i would have likely got them back now. The whole point that made me fight, was the sheer reluctance on the banks part to even see that the charges were ridiculous for the crime.

In a way they have done me a favour as im 33 and owe nothing, maybe if id got years of credit i would not be saying that now.

maybe try and get a jdwilliams account or jacamo that what i did then a few months down the line i got capone then i got vanquis all within 9 months
    silver limit £1000 jjb limit £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport