New Post Advanced Search

Christmas breakfast-Ideas please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
150 replies 15K views

Replies

• ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    glendam wrote: »
    When my chidren were small Santa used to leave them a small packet of sandwiches and a drink wrapped in Chritmas paper to eat while they were opening there stocking. This gave us a little more time before we had to go downstairs to the main pressies.

Glenda

That is such a fab idea, will be doing that when my 2 are a little older, thankfully they are still too young this year to know what Christmas is but that's a great answer to the "how to feed the kids while lying in bed" question. Mine like to eat the second they wake up!
    In fact, is it ok to do this every day?!;)
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't even have toast. The kids eat sweets and chocolate from their stockings and I have coffee -OH has toast but he has to get it himself.

I feel that if you make every meal on Christmas Day, (and indeed Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and the rest of the holiday) a special meal you then have to add more and more trimmings to the actual Christmas meal in order for it to stand out as special. Let's face it, we feast all the time here in the overnourished first world.

Oh dear I've come over all holier-than-thou. Sorry didn't mean to :o I just feel that it is easy to get carried away with trying to make everything a super-experience (and I blame Nigella amongst others for this) when all you need are some loved ones, some gifts and a big roast bird, oh and loads of booze:D
  • NithaNitha Forumite
    472 posts
    We have pancakes with nutella, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with Bucks Fizz. DS will have a bottle of milk and pancakes with some jam on (or porridge if he doesn't like them - it's his first xmas)
    Taking baby-steps :beer:
  • we usually have homemade stollen toasted and buttered once the presents are open.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • Thriftlady wrote: »
    We don't even have toast. The kids eat sweets and chocolate from their stockings and I have coffee -OH has toast but he has to get it himself.

I feel that if you make every meal on Christmas Day, (and indeed Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and the rest of the holiday) a special meal you then have to add more and more trimmings to the actual Christmas meal in order for it to stand out as special. Let's face it, we feast all the time here in the overnourished first world.

Oh dear I've come over all holier-than-thou. Sorry didn't mean to :o I just feel that it is easy to get carried away with trying to make everything a super-experience (and I blame Nigella amongst others for this) when all you need are some loved ones, some gifts and a big roast bird, oh and loads of booze:D

I sort of agree, even though I started talking about this earlier today! This is my OH family tradition, when I was a kid we weren't allowed to open presents until we'd eaten a piece of toast, and you've never seen anyone eat toast as quickly as I used to, 3 bites and it was gone!! I sort of like having a fancy breakfast but would rather it was on a different day as you eat enough as it is and I'd rather start the unwrapping frenzy! As I said this is OH tradition and as I HAVE to have cold meat and chips on Boxing Day I guess he can have ham and ketchup for breakfast!! Still dunno what to have, pancakes sound good tho!
  • chocolate and brandy for me. Kids will get them selves cereal when they have opened the presents. Though as they are now teens I dont suppose they will be up before about 10
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • we usually have homemade stollen toasted and buttered once the presents are open.

That sounds yummy, i think we may have this with a large cup of coffee.
    Do you have a recipe for the stollen or is it on here already - many thanks.

If people are making pancakes - i make nigellas, very easy and great with maple syrup, lemon and sugar or for a treat a fruit compote - although we have these all year every other weekend near enough so not extra special for us at christmas.
    Am doing them Boxing morning as my mum will be here and she hasn't had them before - special treat for her:rotfl:

• Thriftlady wrote: »

We're a bit like that, surely there is nothing wrong with coffee and chocolate for Christmas breakfast :D

We usually have smoked salmon and toast around midday but that's pretty straightforward!
    Piglet
  • DonnaPDonnaP Forumite
    458 posts
    Slice of pork pie - it is a family tradition going back at least 3 generations (I think its a Midlands thing!)

Mind you, my DD's spend all their time picking out the 'jelly'!!

Donna
  • blueberrypieblueberrypie Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have crumpets, scones, pancakes, toast - whatever's about - sometimes I make cranberry muffins (delicious) - and we eat them in my bedroom before we go down. The kids' stockings migrate, magically, from their rooms into mine during the night, you see, so they all have to come in to get them - and then they empty them over my bed while we eat. They usually are so excited about the contents of the stockings that it's a good hour or two before anybody says anything about going downstairs at all LOL

We also have Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve, in the evening, which works much better for us. It means that I can have be cooking on Xmas Eve rather than Xmas Day, and everyone's ready for a big meal in the evening rather than mid-afternoon (because that's when they're used to getting their main meal). Also the kids will *eat*, because they aren't full of chocolate etc, and we're not having to ration them in case they spoil their dinner. And they're willing to sit at the table and chat and enjoy a relaxed meal, rather than being desperate to get back to their pressies! And then we have lots of leftovers (planned) on Xmas Day, so there's almost no work for the adults and we can spend the day relaxing and playing with the pressies too, instead of dashing back and forth to the kitchen :-)