New Post Advanced Search

Christmas breakfast-Ideas please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
150 replies 15K views

Replies

• SquishySquishy Forumite
    721 posts
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what we used to eat when young, but as we got older it was usually toast (and then some chocolate - we realised when we were getting old when we couldn't eat a whole bag of chocolate money in one go without feeling slightly ill!)

Now, breakfast usually consists of tea, orange juice or bucks fizz with cold turkey on toast :D
  • Smashing_BlouseSmashing_Blouse Forumite
    222 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    leni wrote:
    we normally have prok pie and brown sauce

We used to have this as kids, with a slice of ham and a chunk of cheese!!!

My hubby thought I was gross!!!
    I wish that, I knew what I know now,when I was younger.
  • when I was little our "treat" used to be kippers for christmas morning... we weren't allowed to open any pressies until all the kippers had been eaten! Took forever to eat them as I can't bear fish bones:tongue:

needless to say, I don't put my two little ones through that and we have cheesy bread rolls that we make on christmas eve and cook on christmas morning. The kids make them into the shapes of animals or christmassy type things and they only take 15 mins or so to cook....:D
  • hmm started reading this thread thinking "blimey who would start thinking about xmas day breakfast this early?", i kept reading and reading...

now im all excited! think i might try the pancake idea, never had pancakes for breakfast before. such a deprived childhood!

broomie
    x
    Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
  • Good Grief!
    Lighten up, it'll be Christmas fgs, let them eat what they want.
    I wouldn't dream of making my kids sit down to breakfast before seeing what Santa has left them, how cruel is that?!
    We wait until all presents are opened then I'll make two big cups of tea and bacon sarnies, the kids, little ones, will have whatever they ask for.
    Lunch will be at least five hours later so I'm pretty sure they won't 'spoil their appetite'.
    Absolute respect to the poster who has hot dogs and bucks fizz btw :rotfl: :T
  • piglet6piglet6 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We're a pork pie family, too, although its really a sausagemeat and onion pie (a large one cooked by my mum and cut into slices, rather than a bought "pork pie") and coffee with rum in it. Mum had never heard of this tradition until she got married but my dad remembers it from when he was little (and he's 70+ now!) so its been around for a few years...!!

However, we are flexible and open to "variations". I don't like rum in my coffee so I tend to have a glass of Bailey's "next to" my coffee (don't like to taint my coffee or my alcohol by putting them in the same cup so I have them separately!), and even though my hubby has been very patient in taking on the majority of my strange family customs:p, he can't stomach the pie for breakfast, so we normally relent and he has something else for breakfast (croissants, or toast and loads of yummy expensive French butter!;) or a bacon sarnie!). Mind you, there is no shortage of takers for our strange breakfast tradition - for years my cousin and his wife came round every Christmas morning for breakfast, and even now, we have a couple of friends who make a special journey across town just to join us for breakfast (and when one of them had very young children and couldn't get away on Christmas morning, we had to save him a slice of pie until he could get to us later in the day!!:rolleyes: The year we didn't bother, he was most upset, so we haven't made that mistake since!!).

However, we are another family who eat "breakfast" late morning and then have dinner in the evening, so a substantial breakfast keeps us going through the day (we tend to have friends and family dropping in all day, so its easier to eat in the evening!).

I was a bit worried when I first started reading this thread that we would be the only pork pie family, so thank you to everybody else who mentioned it - I don't feel so strange now!!:rotfl:

Piglet
  • dlbdlb Forumite
    2.5K posts
    SpookyCat wrote:
    Good Grief!
    Lighten up, it'll be Christmas fgs, let them eat what they want.
    I wouldn't dream of making my kids sit down to breakfast before seeing what Santa has left them, how cruel is that?!
    We wait until all presents are opened then I'll make two big cups of tea and bacon sarnies, the kids, little ones, will have whatever they ask for.
    Lunch will be at least five hours later so I'm pretty sure they won't 'spoil their appetite'.
    Absolute respect to the poster who has hot dogs and bucks fizz btw :rotfl: :T

My kids dont think its cruel, they have been reading this thread with me, and are all really excited about christmas breakfast now, they are all going to pick there fav breakfast ( my youngest son 8 is loving the pork pie idea!) and i will sort out so they all have what they want.
    They have never complained before(even when i used to make them sit on the stairs and eat!!) even help me set the table xmas eve ready for breakfast and especially now we have the dinning room they are very excited.:j

i Think it is important to introduce traditions in your family, even if it is just sitting together for breakfast as a family on xmas morning, it a great feeling to ask them just one more time what do you think he has bought you?? And seeing their faces, knowing they are about to find out.:D :D

Also a great tradition if you kids get up early ( as mine do!! 5am last year) as it makes sure the kids are fed and clothed so the day begins at a resonable hour!LOL:T
    Then myself and my husband can sit back and not worry about pulling them away from their new stuff to get them fed and dressed.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Christmas traditions are really important. What I didn't want was for all the focus to be on the presents and the rest of the day to feel really flat.

Although, in our house breakfast comes after the pressies and before mass!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • tinkerbelluktinkerbelluk Forumite
    791 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    As there's just the two of us we always sit down by the tree to open our pressies with some Smoked Salmon & Creame Cheese Bagels and a glass of Champagne.
    You laugh because I'm different - I laugh because you're all the same
  • Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ziggy2004 wrote:
    how about a continental breakfast fresh rolls with different meats/cheeses/jams and orange juice you could even make croissants or pain au chocolats

Thats what weused to have when I lived at home :T