Christmas breakfast-Ideas please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
150 replies 15K views

Replies

• AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth do you manage to get your children to co-operate in this? My eldest is 21 and is just as bad as he was at 5 or 6 - getting up at 4 o'clock and waking everybody else up. I had hoped for respite by now!! I am fed up with cooking the dinner like a zombie.
  • When my chidren were small Santa used to leave them a small packet of sandwiches and a drink wrapped in Chritmas paper to eat while they were opening there stocking. This gave us a little more time before we had to go downstairs to the main pressies.

Glenda
    Glenda

£1 a week savings challenge 2014

£250

• CM86_2CM86_2 Forumite
    158 posts
    Just how slow is your slow cooker? :)

My family always have pork pie and tea with whiskey in for breakfast! But I go straight for the chocolate box shaped presents!
  • sarahmelitasarahmelita Forumite
    167 posts
    I want to start a tradition as it'll be mine and OH's first Xmas living together, I'm thinking croissants and/or pain au chocolat with fruit juice and tea/coffee.
  • dlbdlb Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Hiya all, my kids agree to this fine, they get their stockings left on the end of there bed, which does have some chocolate in, they all get dressed whilst eating this. Then we go downstairs and sit and enjoy breakfast this year we are having table pressies at breakfast.

Another little tradition we do is after dinner we all have tree presents, each one of us buys one other person in the family a gift for a fiver or less, but it has to be something funny/silly ect.(we sort out in advance who is buying for who eg, Hubby is buying for child no 1, child no 2 is buying for mum ect). We love this as we all sit giggling for ages.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • dlb wrote:
    Another little tradition we do is after dinner we all have tree presents, each one of us buys one other person in the family a gift for a fiver or less, but it has to be something funny/silly ect.(we sort out in advance who is buying for who eg, Hubby is buying for child no 1, child no 2 is buying for mum ect). We love this as we all sit giggling for ages.

We do this too. Everyone always looks forward to it so much as we are in stitches with how daft we look, laughter usually helped on it way by then with the lunch time alcohol.
    Whoever is having lunch with us gets bought something by me and my spend is a max of £2 per person. I keep an eye out all year for suitable bits and bobs.
    We've had all sorts, but the best by far was the set of fake moustaches. They looked great on the men, but so much funnier on us girlies.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We always have a grill-up:D Bacon, sausage, beans, scrambled egg, mushrooms and half a fried slice...delish!.....kind of healthy;)

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • 1012donna1012donna Forumite
    11.5K posts
    We have croissants, pain au chocolat and bucks fizz in the bedroom before we go downstairs. My now 5 year old has always been happy to do this but the now 2 who will be nearly 3 years old this xmas I suspect will just want to race downstairs as she's already talking about when santa brings her big girls bike.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • FunkyFairyFunkyFairy Forumite
    862 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We have boiled bacon and scrambles eggs.

So the slow cooker would be perfect.
  • Heth_2Heth_2 Forumite
    472 posts
    When I was little we opened our stockings before breakfast, but we hardly got any chocolate in...usually one chocolate orange and a small bag of coins. We never ate the chocolate on Christmas day though. After stockings we'd have breakfast, usually Kaiserschmarrn (broken up pancakes with raisens and flaked almonds in, served with stewed forest fruits) and we'd often all help in the kitchen for a while, and get dressed, before doing the tree presents. I grew up abroad and one of the things that strikes me in England is all the Christmas chocolate.