Mackenzie Hall / CCJ

Options

Comments

• inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    snoopy74 wrote: »
    My husband got a letter this morn from MH and whilst I was at work decided to phone them. They said he had a sky debt for £16.48 - he supposedly had this at an old address from over 7 years ago. He said it could be and was/is about to send a cheque off - what now - should he still send it off? will they keep hassling the fact he has been in contact? he has had credit checks done in the last year to say he has no debt
    TIA

read this thread through from the start and decide for your self if you want to encourage these thoroughly unpleasant people.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • meskaman
    Options
    Wonderful I’ve just received my first Mackenzie hall letter.
    The wonderful part is this site I have just found due to it; at least we are not alone.
    Now I could be wrong but I think this is connected to my wife’s debt (ccj) from her previous marriage as I’m sure mine are all settled. We have had some strange phone calls in the past like asking for her x husband at our address although he has never lived here. All her debts have been sold on a few times now and every time they ring her up to pay more than agreed we just remind them of the original repayments and they go away for awhile, I think they are coming for me now as my wife only has to pay £6 a month for a £6000 dept from 1996, is this possible? I do have a good income now from overtime and we are in process of buying a house can they spoil this in any way?
  • sirjoker
    Options
    Hi Guys! Just to say I joined the club today with a letter from the infamous Victor, or from what I have read should this be Vik-tor, hahahahaha until he bleeds you dry. Needless to say I have taken the time tgo read all the posts and have put two steps in operation to deal with them. The first was to pass the details to Watchdog. The second will be that when I have heard that they do not need the letter to bin it.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    meskaman wrote: »
    We have had some strange phone calls in the past like asking for her x husband at our address although he has never lived here. All her debts have been sold on a few times now and every time they ring her up to pay more than agreed we just remind them of the original repayments and they go away for awhile, I think they are coming for me now as my wife only has to pay £6 a month for a £6000 dept from 1996, is this possible? I do have a good income now from overtime and we are in process of buying a house can they spoil this in any way?

In my opinion, yet ANOTHER try-on from the infamous pen of the renowned Mackenzie Hall. Provided that your wife is making the payments, against her CCJ, that the court ordered her to, there is NOTHING that these 'criminals' can do.
    Whilst, personally, I would be inclined to 'bin' this letter, Mackenzie Hall MUST, on request supply you with ALL details of any 'alleged debts', including a true copy of the original signed Consumer Credit Agreement (cca).
    If they are, indeed, chasing YOU for a debt owed by your wife, then they are acting illegally and in direct contradiction of the guidelines on debt collection, as laid down by the Office of Fair Trading, and you should report them to the Trading Standards Office.
    It should NOT affect your mortgage application, unless there is default registered against your wife's debt.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • beelliesebub
    Options
    My Hubbie received on of these very dubious letters today also from victor richards and neither of us have a clue what it's about. We've both got no debts and no ccj's.
    Luckily, I have to admit I have a very suspicious nature and looked up mackenzie hall on the net. I have found loads and loads of discussions about this company and to be honest I think it's disgusting that they should be allowed to harrang and harrass people in this way. I am definitely following sirjokers example by contacting watchdog and throwing the darned thing in the bin.
  • Chrisue
    Options
    I recived a letter identical to yours, and it terrified me as i have no debt that i know of either, i made the mistake of phoning these losers and they were so nasty, i would not waste money phoning them, i went to my local advice centre and showed them the letter and they told me that any debt that is six years old or more is not recoverable, and she felt they were just trying it on, she told me to throw the letter in the bin and not worry, she also said that the letter is a photo copy not even an original with a printed signature, i have not heard any more from them, it is a couple of weeks now since the letter came so i am hoping i wont hear anymore, try not to worry they are just a pathetic bunch of losers. :mad:

all the best

Beverley.

Thanks Beverley for your reassurance its much appreciated as like everyone else I was worried sick when I received it.

Thank You all :T
  • Mr_Paul_2
    Options
    Hello all.
    I received a MH letter today too. I have read evry thread here and also decided not to ring them. I suggest anyone tempted to do so, add 141 to the telephone number, so to block yours. But I wouldn't attempt to ring them. I'm sure I will receive other letters from them. Like everyone else I'd like to know what they are chasing. I will keep you informed on here as I see many knowledgeable people. Nobody as said they have been taking to court, so guess they are trying it on. I do know if it is a debt I owe, it would be more than 6 years old. Then I would only deal with the original creditors. Hopefully all their fun and games will come to an end soon as we all know there are people out there paying these T*ats. I always check the internet first on any emails and letters such like. Thanks.
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Mr_Paul wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I received a MH letter today too. I have read evry thread here and also decided not to ring them. I suggest anyone tempted to do so, add 141 to the telephone number, so to block yours. But I wouldn't attempt to ring them. I'm sure I will receive other letters from them. Like everyone else I'd like to know what they are chasing. I will keep you informed on here as I see many knowledgeable people. Nobody as said they have been taking to court, so guess they are trying it on. I do know if it is a debt I owe, it would be more than 6 years old. Then I would only deal with the original creditors. Hopefully all their fun and games will come to an end soon as we all know there are people out there paying these T*ats. I always check the internet first on any emails and letters such like. Thanks.

Spot on.

A couple of minor points to bear in mind.

If MH use a freephone number then 1471 does not withhold the number.

Secondly, even if the debt is over six years old, and you then admit the debt, the six year period starts again.

HTH
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    even if the debt is over six years old, and you then admit the debt, the six year period starts again.

Yes indeed IMP - but ONLY if you admit in writing, or by making a payment against it.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    Yes indeed IMP - but ONLY if you admit in writing, or by making a payment against it.

Precisely. Thanks for the clarification.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure